My Streak will be here tomorrow ..

Guest shEEEsh

Guest shEEEsh

Apparently Dell gave away a Streak to the first 100 [maybe 1,000] entries in a charity race in Texas. That is why we are seeing unlocked USA Streaks on eBay .. all from Austin.. Thing is. The winners were not allowed to sell them for the first 30 days. Those 30 days being up on July 15th .. Dell sent the people who were listing theirs NOW letters, reminding them of the agreement they signed. -- people began ending their eBay listings .. I got lucky and got one before Dell started sending emails.

I am thinking that if they can begin selling on the 15th of July, that will be the date Dell releases them in the USA .. ya think ??

Edited by shEEEsh

Guest s3gfault
Apparently Dell gave away a Streak to the first 100 [maybe 1,000] entries in a charity race in Texas. That is why we are seeing unlocked USA Streaks on eBay .. all from Austin.. Thing is. The winners were not allowed to sell them for the first 30 days. Those 30 days being up on July 15th .. Dell sent the people who were listing theirs NOW letters, reminding them of the agreement they signed. -- people began ending their eBay listings .. I got lucky and got one before Dell started sending emails.

I am thinking that if they can begin selling on the 15th of July, that will be the date Dell releases them in the USA .. ya think ??

I'd love to think so, but that doesn't seem like a long enough time for a beta test (which was my understanding of the texas streaks). If they want to actually make software changes based on the feedback from these Austins then they have to give them a few weeks (2-3) to use the device and report problems, then another few weeks to sort through the bug reports and make code changes. I think the US launch is 6-8 weeks away still and although it's hard to be patient I just keep reminding myself that a longer wait will result in a higher quality device...

Guest MrPokeylope
I'd love to think so, but that doesn't seem like a long enough time for a beta test (which was my understanding of the texas streaks). If they want to actually make software changes based on the feedback from these Austins then they have to give them a few weeks (2-3) to use the device and report problems, then another few weeks to sort through the bug reports and make code changes. I think the US launch is 6-8 weeks away still and although it's hard to be patient I just keep reminding myself that a longer wait will result in a higher quality device...

We in the UK, As always for phones, are the testing ground :lol:

We get the beta products... then the USA get things when they work and are known to work perfectly. It's always been this way.

This is not me touting the UK... faaaar from it. You should see some of the utter CRAP we used to get landed with, because orange, t-mobile, virgin and so on would only allow the original crappy firmware.

Count yourself lucky USA. You always will get the better deal and better product. A bit later... but better.

Guest rovex
We in the UK, As always for phones, are the testing ground :lol:

We get the beta products... then the USA get things when they work and are known to work perfectly. It's always been this way.

This is not me touting the UK... faaaar from it. You should see some of the utter CRAP we used to get landed with, because orange, t-mobile, virgin and so on would only allow the original crappy firmware.

Count yourself lucky USA. You always will get the better deal and better product. A bit later... but better.

Except that they dont. Their contracts are hugely expensive compared to ours and only recently have they got decent phones. The US networks also modify the phones physically, not just in firmware, and rarely for the better. The US HD2 was a rare exception and the Evo is a rare exception (and seems to have quality issues anyway).

Guest courtlandre

Yeah plans in the US are WAY more expensive. It doesnt matter if you dont get a phone with your plan you end up paying the same amount as someone that gets a nice phone. Its just dumb.

Guest shEEEsh
Yeah plans in the US are WAY more expensive. It doesnt matter if you dont get a phone with your plan you end up paying the same amount as someone that gets a nice phone. Its just dumb.

Does Europe brand theirs?

Guest rovex

Yeah, but rarely if ever are they physically different to the stock device. You might get a silk screened logo, thats all. In the US you often get less features, or restricted access. Less RAM than stock is quite common. Orange were quite bad at modifying the firmware, especially on Nokia Symbians, but those in the know simply didn't buy them from orange,or flashed a generic firmware..

US prices are stupid. My Desire contract has more stuff and costs less and the phone was free. £199 for a phone with the level of stuff they offer in the US is never seen in the UK.

Guest shEEEsh

I had the HTC Touch Pro 2 .. It was something like the T7373 ?? Sound familiar ?? In any case .. Mine was unlocked and from Europe. T-mobile had the same unit and it looked like a toy compared to how pretty mine was .. Every inch was NICE .. I took it into my local Radio [Cellphone] Shack and they were amazed at the difference.

Guest MrPokeylope

I knew about the plan prices. Shocking. I thought it was only us UK types that got so stiffed with carriers wrecking a perfectly good phone with slow firmwares and no easy way to upgrade them. Shows what I know eh?

I'm killing my landline and just using my streak as my broadband when I move into my new place.

I got my friends 30% o2 discount, and I pay £21 a month for my plan. 600 mins, infinite texts and mms, "unlimited" data and free o2 to o2 calls. Phone was free.

I was happy on their simplicity 800, at £20 a month. The sim only contract. I had the unlimited data and free o2 to o2 boltons (one more than I was supposed to be getting free) and I thought that was a sweet deal. This however is just amazing. I paid £24 for my phone technically!

Guest SgtDavePwnage
My WONDERFUL Streak is here .. it is AWESOME .. Worked with both ATT and Tmobile cards. LOVING IT !!

What rom is it running?

Guest SgtDavePwnage
Where would i look to find that info.

Go to Settings then go to about device

If you would be so kind as to post the Firmware version, Baseband version, Kernel Version, OEM Version and Build Number