Q&A Chat with the Dell Streak UI Developers Immiment!

Guest Dunhamzzz

Guest Dunhamzzz

Hi all,

I've managed to organise a Q&A Feedback chat with the manager of Dells UI team, the guys who made the Streaks customised UI. This will be a great chance to put forward ideas for the 2.2 version, and hopefully find out when it's coming!

It's happening Monday 12th at 8PM UK Time (GMT+1) in #streakdevchat on irc.freenode.net. I'll be setting up an IRC channel at MyDellMini later this week.

Hope to see many of you guys there!

Streak chat is over!

Transcript here: http://bit.ly/d8QaIJ

We've setup a new permanent chat room for Dell Streakc chat, either use this chat applet at MyDellMini or for those with mIRC or any other IRC client, use this link to acess the chat.

Edited by Dunhamzzz

Guest squidgyb

Fair play - nice work mate!

By then hopefully I'll have had enough time to come up with some ideas. I've only had mine since Friday 2/7/10.

Guest rovex

I wont be able to make it, but have some questions.

Will they enable portrait mode and/or fix the spacing issues we have with alternative launchers?

Any plans for more Dell widgets? Scrolling widgets are nice, we need more (and more colour options).

Will they give us the option to adjust sharpening in the camera? Currently the pictures are over sharpened and look poor. The phones picture editor doesnt have the ability to fix the pictures. They could learn from HTCs camera app.

720P video capture?

Custom scenes like in HTC sense? With this you can save layouts and switch between them.

Guest Techneut

Please, oh please, give us the opportunity to UNLOCK our bought O2 Dell Streaks!

We are even willing to PAY for it...

Guest squidgyb
Please, oh please, give us the opportunity to UNLOCK our bought O2 Dell Streaks!

We are even willing to PAY for it...

I have no doubt this will come with time - and I suspect it's also nothing to do with Dell, it's purely O2's decision.

Guest fards

Ask 'em if they've ever tried actually typing with the keypad they wrote?

and get 'em to include swype or slideit in the 2.2 release :lol:

a drop down taskswitcher would be good, straight off the topbar,

a proper phone dialer, one that works out who you are dialling and completes the number !

Edited by fards

Guest squidgyb

Being able to click an icon to select the entire picture when setting a background would be a nice feature - it gets a little fiddly trying to maximise the rectangle when you don't have the accuracy of a stylus.

More ideas to come, I'm sure...

Guest maskaler

This is a question I've been wanting to ask and I think this might be the right thread -

Given that we require the Dell source in order to be able to create a FroYo ROM (correct me if I'm wrong), and given that I'm sure there will be plenty of questions about 2.2 this next monday evening, what do you think Dell's line with be with respect to releasing their source to the wider community?

ROM making is pretty widespread and a seemingly vital part of the Android community - it's a major reason why I switched from my iPhone 3G - do people think Dell will adopt a closed approach, or realise community input could provide real benefit?

*edit* correcting dates

Edited by maskaler

Guest Dunhamzzz
This is a question I've been wanting to ask and I think this might be the right thread -

Given that we require the Dell source in order to be able to create a FroYo ROM (correct me if I'm wrong), and given that I'm sure there will be plenty of questions about 2.2 this evening, what do you think Dell's line with be with respect to releasing their source to the wider community?

ROM making is pretty widespread and a seemingly vital part of the Android community - it's a major reason why I switched from my iPhone 3G - do people think Dell will adopt a closed approach, or realise community input could provide real benefit?

Just to correct you, its next Monday

Guest yosemite-sam

Can we give them a list of bugs we've had?

mine's had a vibrating fit once but still waiting for it to occur again since i put the 4399 update on.

Guest marra2
Can we give them a list of bugs we've had?

mine's had a vibrating fit once but still waiting for it to occur again since i put the 4399 update on.

twice for me (wife enjoyed it though :) )

Guest JaysFreaky

It'd be nice to see an option to turn off the numpad on the keyboard, having the option to set one wallpaper to span all six screens instead of individually setting each screen, and having a portrait mode for homescreens.

Guest yosemite-sam

id like us to be able to create profiles for our settings and to be able to customise the appearance colour wise etc.

Guest vinokirk

I would like to have a different sms message tone and a different mms tone, a different warning ton, instead of having one tone for them all

I have found that handcent sms and dxtop make the phone far more uable.

Not forgetting 3g watchdog, advanced task killer, Battery Indicator & juiceDefender are essential apps.

Thw phone should come with these built in

Guest vinokirk

Get rid of the 'join the dots to enter' lock screen. Any one can just tilt the screen and see the unlock pattern!

Edited by vinokirk

Guest vinokirk

I would like to see a way to add multiple contacts into a message. Maybe ticking names on a list. At the moment when you create a new message there is no way to view your contacts to put multiple people into it!

Guest huggsy
I would like to see a way to add multiple contacts into a message. Maybe ticking names on a list. At the moment when you create a new message there is no way to view your contacts to put multiple people into it!

Just start typing the names of your contact in the "to" field, you can add as many as you want this way

Huggsy

Guest fracmo2000

Given that we require the Dell source in order to be able to create a FroYo ROM (correct me if I'm wrong), and given that I'm sure there will be plenty of questions about 2.2 this next monday evening, what do you think Dell's line with be with respect to releasing their source to the wider community?

*edit* correcting dates

YES, i think this would be number 1 on the agenda. when is the dell streak getting 2.2? the web browsing experience is pretty good on the dell streak...better than my hd2. Once it gets updated, i honestly think it will be the best smartphone about...at least until htc bring out their next batch of handsets.

I hope they answer this question, not many people seem to be making custom roms...is this because they need a 2.2 kernal from dell as the current 1.6 kernal wouldnt work?

Guest vinokirk
Just start typing the names of your contact in the "to" field, you can add as many as you want this way

Huggsy

I know this, but I want to be able to browse my list of people and tick who i want to send the nsg to. For instance, im having a bbq on sunday, i couldnt remember who i have in my phonebook, so i had to put my sim in my hd2 where i can create a new msg and look at my whole phone book and scroll down and go 'oh i want to invite her...oooo and him', you dig me big dog?