Need help - bricked?

Guest hacq

Guest hacq

hello guys.....needs some serious help here

first time android user. i have been reading about the no-lag fix here by paul for a few days now, finally took the courage to try it on my phone....but disaster!

I've been quite careful initially, learn how to root, how to run adb shells etc.

I even run the busybox du -h command to make sure my data/data size is within limits.

Then in the adb console, I made sure I am su (confirm from the # prompt)

Then pasted the script

cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

reboot

Then disaster struck. I remember seeing the "cp not found" but the rest of the commands continued... (oh s***!)

After that the phone restarted, saw the S boot screen...then turn all black! (thought the phone died... :) )

I suppose now the phone can't find the /data/data directory, that's why it can't boot up.

But after I calm down, tried the adb shell again while still connected and can still access the phone, but trying to su was denied.

So what can I do now? Help please!

Guest lgkahn

first time android user. i have been reading about the no-lag fix here by paul for a few days now, finally took the courage to try it on my phone....but disaster!

I've been quite careful initially, learn how to root, how to run adb shells etc.

I even run the busybox du -h command to make sure my data/data size is within limits.

Then pasted the script

reboot

Then disaster struck. I remember seeing the "cp not found" but the rest of the commands continued... (oh s***!)

After that the phone restarted, saw the S boot screen...then turn all black! (thought the phone died... :) )

I suppose now the phone can't find the /data/data directory, that's why it can't boot up.

But after I calm down, tried the adb shell again while still connected and can still access the phone, but trying to su was denied.

plug it in to usb while off. get odin up on your pc and boot up with vol. down, pad pressed and power.. get the screen and reflash.

should work that is what i did .. keep trying

Guest hacq

any chance of reviving it without reflash? coz i spent a lot of time customizing it the past few day and my backup are not that recent (sad i know) :)

thanks

Guest lgkahn
any chance of reviving it without reflash? coz i spent a lot of time customizing it the past few day and my backup are not that recent (sad i know) :)

thanks

no if you did the link most likely without copying it is fubared

Guest lgkahn
no if you did the link most likely without copying it is fubared

next time do the commands one at a time.. much safer..

and if you didnt have cp.. most likely when you rooted. busybox was not installed correclty.. double check that first.

Guest nl2010

Then pasted the script

reboot

Turn Off phone, then go into Recovery console (Power+Vol UP + Home key). After that select Reset/factory settings. Then phone will come back to life :D

Guest lgkahn
Turn Off phone, then go into Recovery console (Power+Vol UP + Home key). After that select Reset/factory settings. Then phone will come back to life :)

no it wont.. what he did ... creating sym link is not something that will be recovered by resetting to factory settings.. sym link will stll be there.

Guest hacq

oh my bad....really that serious have to reflash huh? well i thought i had busybox set up coz titanium backup found it, and i can do the busybox du -h command. sigh...i still have much to learn then.

i will try n12020's suggestion first. after this trauma i'm not so confident to try and do a flash.... :)

Is there no other way to restore the symbolic links? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Guest nl2010
no it wont.. what he did ... creating sym link is not something that will be recovered by resetting to factory settings.. sym link will stll be there.

Yes it will. I did test it myself and bring phone back from black screen, and that's the point. Not talking about symlink !

Guest lgkahn
Yes it will. I did test it myself and bring phone back from black screen, and that's the point. Not talking about symlink !

well than how come a factory reset did not get rid of the symlink. stalling hack in my case.. it was still there

maybe paul can jump in?

Guest hacq

looks like lgkahn is right. can't even get to the factory reset screen. came up the yellow adroid-at-work sign.

so no choice but to reflash. no problems there touch wood.

went back and root it. (using the update.zip from samdroid + recovery screen)

download titanium and try to restore but for some reason it is super slow. is this normal? plus i have to click install for every app being batched (just like when you are installing normally). again, is this normal way of doing restore?

thanks.

Guest Arnon
looks like lgkahn is right. can't even get to the factory reset screen. came up the yellow adroid-at-work sign.

so no choice but to reflash. no problems there touch wood.

went back and root it. (using the update.zip from samdroid + recovery screen)

download titanium and try to restore but for some reason it is super slow. is this normal? plus i have to click install for every app being batched (just like when you are installing normally). again, is this normal way of doing restore?

thanks.

Sorry I saw this too late - but for the next time you can recover

if you'd go into recovery mode (power + home + volume up)

remove the link (rm -r /data/data)

and restore the data backup (mv /data/data.bak /data/data)

Arnon

Guest hacq

arnon, i did try that but it screen came up the yellow android.

in fact, as commented in my 1st post, after the reboot, although i can still access it by adb shell, i can't get into su mode. subsequently the yellow android came up. i dont know what i did wrong in between (i think i panic and remove the battery...lol)

Guest Arnon
arnon, i did try that but it screen came up the yellow android.

in fact, as commented in my 1st post, after the reboot, although i can still access it by adb shell, i can't get into su mode. subsequently the yellow android came up. i dont know what i did wrong in between (i think i panic and remove the battery...lol)

I thought you went into download mode (power + home + volume down) and not recovery mode (power + home + volume up)

I guess it is too late now anyway :)

Guest hacq

ah damn...i guess you are right. but even if i went into recovery mode, will i have the rights to do the commands?

well learn something new today :)

i am also interested to know why the cp -rp /data/data /dbdata command fail to work. i am sure i rooted properly (just used the update.zip from samdroid which includes busybox and superuser.apk)

thanks again.

Guest Arnon
i am also interested to know why the cp -rp /data/data /dbdata command fail to work. i am sure i rooted properly (just used the update.zip from samdroid which includes busybox and superuser.apk)

thanks again.

That's because the SGS shell does not include cp - you have to use busybox (busybox cp ...) or install busybox (busybox --install -s /system/xbin ) and then you can use cp directly

Arnon

Guest hacq

ah...looks like it should have been an easy fix and I shouldn't have panicked!

anyway, i already re-flashed. but not necesarily all lost. learn a lot today, plus got a newer firmware.....just that have to spend more time re-customizing my phone again...boooo

thanks again everyone :)