a2sd+ questions

Guest distantstorm

Guest distantstorm

I have got myself a new 16GB Class 6 SD card and with the Froyo leak I've decided it's time to try a2sd/a2sd+ since I keep running out of memory. I've been Googling for the past 2 hours and before I take the plunge I'm still confused a little about a2sd+.

From what I can gather a2sd and the native implementation in Froyo both allow you to move applications to and from SD card storage via "manage applications" - but with these solutions apps with widgets need to stay in the internal memory. I hope I've got that so far. So I decided a2sd+ was the way to go and it seems that when I install apps they will automatically be installed on the SD card? If so, can I still move them to internal if I decided I wanted to through the 'manage applications'? Or would that interfere with a2sd+ and should I avoid that option altogether? Does a2sd+ have its own method or app icon to do this or to change its settings?

Oh, and it seems to be common to have 512MB as EXT partition - is there any benefit to going larger than this?

Thanks

Guest spammyspam

A2SD and A2SD+ do NOT allow you to move apps. They are transparent to Android, so as far as the system is concerned they ARE on internal memory and so can't really be moved to anywhere else. However the point is that you don't need to manage apps; the benefits of a2sd is that stuff which requires to be on internal memory will still work (because they appear to be internal), plus you can access other partitions on the SD card without dismounting the EXT partition a2sd uses.

Froyo is more explicit than a2sd. It knows where apps live, and so you can manage them and move them around. The benefit here is that Froyo doesn't need a special partition - it creates a folder on the root of your SD card alongside all your other data. Where it goes wrong is that this folder cannot be accessed while the SD card is inaccessible - this includes when you plug it into your PC to use as a drive as well as when booting up (which is why widgets no longer work after a reboot).

In short then: Froyo allows you to move apps back and forth from the a folder on your SD card, but that's only useful because it's something you HAVE to keep an eye on. A2SD doesn't allow you to do that, but who cares? You don't need to move stuff around anyway because it all just works.

In theory you could probably run both at the same time in which case Froyo would be moving apps from your A2SD EXT partition to the .android-secure folder. I'm not quite sure why you'd want to tho.

Guest distantstorm

Excellent, thanks very much for the reply. I had assumed some apps wouldn't like not being on internal memory and I would have to move them but that all makes sense. A2SD+ it is then. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Steve

Guest spammyspam

To be fair anecdotal evidence varies on whether apps can live on SD or not. I've never had any problems running stuff from SD via A2SD, but others have spoken about FCs and crashes, seemingly because their cards can't quite keep up. It's that lack of guaranteed performance that's probably determined how Froyo's version was developed - ie to allow apps that struggle on SD to remain on internal.

Give it a go, I guess!

Guest tinyk

Found this post trying to research what I though was a problem, installed a rom from the kitchen last night with the option set to a2sd+, with some help got the sd card formatted and all working.

Today wanting to check it was all working correctly I went into sdcard manager and it seems everything is on internal memory and nothing is installed to the sdcard, but from reading the above I'm now thinking with a2sd+ because it tricks it into thinking its actually on the phone that all apps would show as internal and the move to sdcard option would be greyed out as you cant move them because they are already there but the phone thinks they are internal.

Would that be the right assumption? just want to make sure I didn't get something wrong, don't want to run out of room again.

If someone could confirm im right I would be grateful.

Thanks

Guest Milos SK

You can't see applications on the SD card using A2SD, only if you mount ext3 partition (remove card from the phone, put into PC card reader and you can mount ext2/3 partition using ext2fs in windows). In the phone this partition act as internal memory. So if you use froyo method to move application to SD card this will move application from ext partition to standard fat32 partition and then you can see apliacation in the SD card folder .android_secure

Edited by Milos SK

Guest InsaneNutter

Ive found that with the froyo method most apps can not be installed or moved on to the SD card anyway... so its pretty much unless at the moment.

Thats why i'm thinking of installing A2sd.

Guest Kushan

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wanted to ask a slightly related question.

I've been using the 4Gb card that came with my desire for a while now but I've just ordered a nice 16Gb card. I've been using A2SD+ without an issue but now I'm not 100% sure how to move everything from my 4Gb card to my new 16Gb one.

Sadly, I don't have a microSD -> SD adapter so I can't just mount it on my PC and copy the files. However, I have an idea. If I Nandroid my current setup and backup the ext3 partition as normal, then put the nandroid backup on the 16Gb card (which is formatted appropriately - ext3 partition the same size as that one on the 4Gb card), then nandroid it all back, will it work?

4GB SD (1GB ext3 + remaining FAT32) -> Nandroid backup.

Copy contents of FAT32 partition over to 16Gb card

Nandroid Backup -> 16GB (1GB ext3 + remaining FAT32).

I'm aware that my apps will go missing before I've done the nandroid backup after I've inserted the 16Gb card, but that's fine since it's all being overwritten anyway.

• 2 months later...
Guest androidfanta
4GB SD (1GB ext3 + remaining FAT32) -> Nandroid backup.

Copy contents of FAT32 partition over to 16Gb card

Nandroid Backup -> 16GB (1GB ext3 + remaining FAT32).

I dont think a Nandroid backup would restore to a different sized card. The easier and better way to go about this is:

1. Backup System+User data with Titanium backup
  2. Backup your data on the FAT32
  3. Partition and format the new card
  4. Wipe data on the ROM
  5. Restore data to the new card from Titanium
  6. (Optional) Restore backed up custom data from old FAT32

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BashyUK
I dont think a Nandroid backup would restore to a different sized card. The easier and better way to go about this is:
  1. Backup System+User data with Titanium backup
  2. Backup your data on the FAT32
  3. Partition and format the new card
  4. Wipe data on the ROM
  5. Restore data to the new card from Titanium
  6. (Optional) Restore backed up custom data from old FAT32

Is this a confirmed working solution? My 16GB Class 4 Kingston is due in a few days and I currently have a2sd+ on my standard 4GB card.

Thanks in advance :)

Guest summerlove
Is this a confirmed working solution? My 16GB Class 4 Kingston is due in a few days and I currently have a2sd+ on my standard 4GB card.

Thanks in advance :)

A nandroid + ext would be easier and faster than wiping and reinstalling from TB. I've done it before with no issues, just partition the new card, copy all the fat32 data onto the new card and do a nandroid restore. Takes a few minutes and everything is just how you left it.

Guest BashyUK
A nandroid + ext would be easier and faster than wiping and reinstalling from TB. I've done it before with no issues, just partition the new card, copy all the fat32 data onto the new card and do a nandroid restore. Takes a few minutes and everything is just how you left it.

So copy the fat 32 data to the pc, do a nandroid backup, put in the new card and partition via rom manager. Copy data back to card and then restore.

If that's it then it's very straightforward. Quality.

Hang on. If the ext is a different size will that cause issues?

Edited by BashyUK

Guest summerlove
So copy the fat 32 data to the pc, do a nandroid backup, put in the new card and partition via rom manager. Copy data back to card and then restore.

If that's it then it's very straightforward. Quality.

Hang on. If the ext is a different size will that cause issues?

It never caused an issue for me. I swapped from a 512mb to 1.5gb using that method. You would need to do the nandroid+ext before copying the fat32 so that its on the new card when you restore.

Guest BashyUK

Ok, well that was a complete balls up!

Received card today, did a nandroid, copied fat32 data to PC. No problems there.

Unmounted 4GB card and switched phone off, removed card. Inserted new 16GB card and booted...problems started. Took ages to boot, eventually did then kept fc'ng on dialler after I entered my sim unlock pin.

Tried to partition the card via GParted on Linux, all this ended up with was a phone that didn't boot at all and a card that could not be read in clockwork mod. Put the card back onto a Windows PC and formatted...it showed only 1.5GB in size! Tried doing a restore onto this card and thought would do a partition via ROM Manager...no go. Restored (apart from ext obviously as it didn't exist) but ROM Manager didn't show in apps list and market and internet links didn't work (message re: the application the link referred to not being available.)

Put 4GB card back in and restored, all back to normal. Managed to get 16GB card reformatted via Linux, shows 14.94GB in Windows now.

So...what did I do wrong??!

Edited by BashyUK

Guest summerlove
Ok, well that was a complete balls up!

Received card today, did a nandroid, copied fat32 data to PC. No problems there.

Unmounted 4GB card and switched phone off, removed card. Inserted new 16GB card and booted...problems started. Took ages to boot, eventually did then kept fc'ng on dialler after I entered my sim unlock pin.

Tried to partition the card via GParted on Linux, all this ended up with was a phone that didn't boot at all and a card that could not be read in clockwork mod. Put the card back onto a Windows PC and formatted...it showed only 1.5GB in size! Tried doing a restore onto this card and thought would do a partition via ROM Manager...no go. Restored (apart from ext obviously as it didn't exist) but ROM Manager didn't show in apps list and market and internet links didn't work (message re: the application the link referred to not being available.)

Put 4GB card back in and restored, all back to normal. Managed to get 16GB card reformatted via Linux, shows 14.94GB in Windows now.

So...what did I do wrong??!

Ahh see the order I do is after the nandroid and copying the fat32 transfer to computer, I put in the new card, boot into recovery, partition card, then transfer fat32 (via recovery since you have no sd adapter - not booting up the phone), then restore nandroid.

Guest BashyUK
Ahh see the order I do is after the nandroid and copying the fat32 transfer to computer, I put in the new card, boot into recovery, partition card, then transfer fat32 (via recovery since you have no sd adapter - not booting up the phone), then restore nandroid.

Could you provide the instructions on how to partition and transfer fat32 via recovery as I can't see the options (clockwork mod). Thought you could only do a partition via ROM Manager with CM you see...

Guest summerlove
Could you provide the instructions on how to partition and transfer fat32 via recovery as I can't see the options (clockwork mod). Thought you could only do a partition via ROM Manager with CM you see...

I use amon ra on all my devices so someone else will have to answer that.

Guest mrnetsick

has the sdcard fat32 data corruption issue been fixed in r9 ? (in r8 the fat32 corrupts - record a video - plug into your PC and try to copy the video to PC)

As seen in ..

http://android.modaco.com/content/forum/31...for-developers/

http://android.modaco.com/content/forum/31...tem-corruption/

I was thinking if Android support NTFS on the SD Card wouldnt the fat32 corruption be a thing of the passed given it's a journaling FS ?

Will Android ever support sdcards with NTFS partitions ?

Highly doubtful. NTFS file system belongs to Microsoft and is not GPL so I doubt that Google will add support for it.

Guest BashyUK
I use amon ra on all my devices so someone else will have to answer that.

Sorted! It was my umm, how should we say, flawed , use of GParted!

Basically went back into it, unmounted the partitions already on the 16GB card, re-did the fat32 first, applied the change then did an ext2 at 1.5GB. Follwed all steps mentioned previously with nandroid etc and ta-daaa, all done. :)

Thanks to 'summerlove' for the input.

Now to look at installing amon ra as that has a very important function which I can't believe CM has missing! Why no partition option? Anyway, that's for later, bound to be messy, for me anyway!

Edited by BashyUK

has the sdcard fat32 data corruption issue been fixed in r9 ? (in r8 the fat32 corrupts - record a video - plug into your PC and try to copy the video to PC)

As seen in ..

http://android.modaco.com/content/forum/31...for-developers/

http://android.modaco.com/content/forum/31...tem-corruption/

I was thinking if Android support NTFS on the SD Card wouldnt the fat32 corruption be a thing of the passed given it's a journaling FS ?

Fix for the FAT32 corruption, just flash this file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53883/vold.fstab-signed.zip

It stops your ext3 being mounted alongside your FAT32 when you plug the USB in, I believe. I would link the thread I found it on but I'm too lazy to go and find it.

Guest summerlove
Sorted! It was my umm, how should we say, flawed , use of GParted!

Basically went back into it, unmounted the partitions already on the 16GB card, re-did the fat32 first, applied the change then did an ext2 at 1.5GB. Follwed all steps mentioned previously with nandroid etc and ta-daaa, all done. :P

Thanks to 'summerlove' for the input.

Now to look at installing amon ra as that has a very important function which I can't believe CM has missing! Why no partition option? Anyway, that's for later, bound to be messy, for me anyway!

Haha, awesome. Glad you got it sorted.

Guest TheUntouchable
nice.

Paul: Has this been added to r9 WIP ?

Why you dont just read the thread of r9?

17/Sep 12:45 BST

* A2SD corruption fix (courtesy of XDA thread)