UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest insty

Hey.

I've ran into bit of an issue with the Market (with the unsuccessful downloads).

At present I've done the following: Flash with JG5 > Apply Samset 1.2 > Apply ex4 kernal > Apply Samset 1.2c - Now none of my market downloads or updates are working at all.

Market Downloads/Updates were working fine before I applied 1.2c of Samset.

I've tried to re-create the link but this falls over and still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Guest kanzlr

update: replaced the kingston with a sandisk and now the device flies.

Where Got To Do was extremly slow to save changes to tasks without the fix, and even slower with the fix + kingston card, it now reacts instantly to changes.

excellent, thanks.

Guest ppeccin

So, I read somewhere that when you use this fix and transfer the app data to the external SD, the battery life goes bye bye, because there will be too much access to the external card.

Is that true?

Are you guys experiencing this?

If so, would the size of the card or the class make any difference? Like in a 8GB card using less battery than a 16GB card?

Thanks for any feedback. Still deciding if I should buy a card and do this or not.

I would hate to see the battery lasting less than it already does now.

Can anyone confirm if the Sansdisk 16GB class 2 SDHC cards work fine for this?

Thanks!

Paulo

Guest kanzlr

not sure on the battery life yet, but my Sandisk 8GB class 2 works superbly well, much better than the kingston.

Guest AndyCr15
So, I read somewhere that when you use this fix and transfer the app data to the external SD, the battery life goes bye bye, because there will be too much access to the external card.

Is that true?

Are you guys experiencing this?

Yesterday I took my SGS off charge at 5:30am. I listened to over an hour of podcasts, I watched 30 minutes of TV, I had light to moderate usage through the day and at 11:30pm I was finally down to 20%. When not in use it was using maybe 1% per hour...

That's what I'm using.

Guest DistortedLoop
I've tried to summarize this whole process into one post -

http://hemorrdroids.net/?p=637

I hope Mimo doesn't mind me doing this? If he does, please just say and I'll remove it.

Could a few people take a look over it and check I didn't miss anything? Many thanks :(

Hey Andy, looks okay after just a quick skim over it, and thanks for the mention!

I just added a line to the undo steps in my post on how to undo it; it's not necessary, but without the last step you leave the no longer used /disk/data directory sucking up space on the sdcard's ext partition. You might want to add that to your post.

Your blog looks slick, and I love the name. I'll have to add it to my RSS reader.

Guest bambibio

FFS I can't understand why my score is still so frigging low, can't even beat Moto Shadow running 2.1. I only get 1126 from quadrant.

I did a wipe, flashed JG5, put MoDaCo r3, put kernel fix, did the hack with adb.

I got Class 6 8GB (7.6GB real size) with 7GB Fat32 and 0.6GB Ext3

Partitions made with Paragon. I mean cmon?

Guest lucasjohny

thanks. but it caused a lot of problem when I format my SD, anyway bm 1416 ROM Singtel Stock JF4..hahhaha I am really happy now....

Edited by lucasjohny

Guest aeo087

Mimocan... what can I say, I'll start building your statue!! I've been waiting impatiently all week for my microsd card to arrive and finally yesterday I was able to try your fix; It's fantastic!! We knew I/O was a handicap for the phone, but you've completely eliminated the stalls with this fix!! I'm running this with Auto-killer set to strict, and I couldn't be happier. 50apps + installed and no noticeable slowdowns!

I was successful on my first attempt using Gparted firmware JG5.

Thanks Mimocan! I think with this fix, I'll finally stop flashing every 2nd day, I'm finally happy with my phone's performance; maybe I can wait patiently on this configuration for froyo....

You should become Paul's kernel sidekick :( with your joint efforts I can't even imagine the amazing Roms that could emerge...

Guest lucasjohny
hello

i have a problem with adb shell

Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7600]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\tiburce>cd /d d:\sdk\tools

d:\sdk\tools>adb shell

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

$ su -

su -

# busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system

#

i d'ont understant who is the problem "cp: can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system"

WRONG PARTITION STANDARD ON YOUR EXT3 TRY REPARTITION IT AGAIN

Guest Fykick

I have tried everything and it works fine up to the market fix. I get to the point where I go to put in the following command:

busybox mv /system/media /disk/

and windows just returns this error:

mv: can't remove '/disk/media': Is a directory

What am I doing wrong, or what else do I need to do to get around this error?

Thanks in advance.

Guest squidgyb
Any chance of this fix coming to the AT&T Captivate version or other Galaxy S series phones?

I would've thought it'd work fine - as I understand, the main difference in the captivate/vibrant ROMs is the "phone" file in the Odin flash set, the PDA/kernel file should be flashable. Take this info with a pinch of salt though, I'm going off the top of my head and I'm no expert.

I'd say root your phone, then flash the mimo kernel and try, but unless there are any full captivate/vibrant ROMs floating about on the net yet, I wouldn't try as you won't have any means of getting back to the way it was (unless you're usihng the Clockwork recovery ofc, but that's still in beta, so it's difficult to say how well this works either).

As usual " at your own risk" etc

*please, if I'm wrong do tell me - this is all a learning experience and I'd like to know if I'm talking crap.

Edited by squidgyb

Guest sl8125
Any chance of this fix coming to the AT&T Captivate version or other Galaxy S series phones?

I have tried it. My experience with the installation of the kernels.

The phone does not recognize the external sd card. I thought i had the sd card partitioned incorrectly. I used Paragon Disk Manager V.10. After the partitiion, i formatted each partition. However, you stick your sd card the phone will not mount it. It will not even recognize a brand new sd card. many tries i failed. i tried ext3 and ext4 method. i decided it wasn't going to work so i went back to stock rom and did paul's fix. i don't have much apps installed but draw back is phone will stall once it reaches the limit. i will keep it to minimal until someone else finds a way. Or maybe i just didn't do it right. i spend several pages of explanation what went wrong no one could help. I hope maybe someone here can help. i am willing to brick. LOL. i did many times but got the phone working again. Figured out some trick on the way. LOL. So any of you have any ideas, please let us know, we, all captivate owners, too like to speed like you guys. please do not leave us behind.

GOD HATES CAPTIVATE OWNERS. :(

Guest tanzhjoash
is it still working with the new Firmware JM2?

hi guys, i have a newbie question.

i want to try to flash from my current JG5* to JM2. once i flash, do i have to redo the lag fix to have it working again? or will the current symlink to ext4 on sdcard carry through the flash?

should i click re-partition on odin when flashing to JM2? What does re-partition do exactly anyway?

Edited by tanzhjoash

Guest DistortedLoop
hi guys, i have a newbie question.

i want to try to flash from my current JG5* to JM2. once i flash, do i have to redo the lag fix to have it working again? or will the current symlink to ext4 on sdcard carry through the flash?

should i click re-partition on odin when flashing to JM2? What does re-partition do exactly anyway?

Only necessary if you're using a pit file that's different than the one you used the last time you flashed with Odin. If you used pit 512 to go to JG5 and you're using pit 512 again, shouldn't be a problem not not check that.

Guest sonofdays

I tried doing this with my T-Mobile Vibrant (in America) and Odin only responds with, "Check image files !!" Odin recognizes my Vibrant when it is connected in download mode, I have a 16GB microSD card split at 14GB~1.5GB or so with FAT32/EXT3 (in that order), I downloaded v3 of the .tar file and followed all of the other steps but it just doesn't work.

Should this work on the T-Mobile version of the Galaxy S or is this only for European/Asian devices?

Guest DistortedLoop
I tried doing this with my T-Mobile Vibrant (in America) and Odin only responds with, "Check image files !!" Odin recognizes my Vibrant when it is connected in download mode, I have a 16GB microSD card split at 14GB~1.5GB or so with FAT32/EXT3 (in that order), I downloaded v3 of the .tar file and followed all of the other steps but it just doesn't work.

Should this work on the T-Mobile version of the Galaxy S or is this only for European/Asian devices?

The fix itself should work if you can get a kernel that allows ext partitions. The issue sounds like Odin doesn't want to put this particular kernel on the Vibrant. You'd ahve to talk to mimocan or someone else more skilled in kernels if that's the case.

Which pit file are you using? Try pit 512 and the ext 4 kernel.

Guest IDtheTarget
Hey Andy, looks okay after just a quick skim over it, and thanks for the mention!

I just added a line to the undo steps in my post on how to undo it; it's not necessary, but without the last step you leave the no longer used /disk/data directory sucking up space on the sdcard's ext partition. You might want to add that to your post.

Your blog looks slick, and I love the name. I'll have to add it to my RSS reader.

Sorry if this seems a bit persnickety, but your undo instructions don't mention how to get back to a stock kernel. I'm assuming that we'd have to find a copy of the original somewhere (I'm using a stock T-Mobile Vibrant) and re-flash it using the original instructions.

I'd love the extra speed this provides, when I first got the phone I loaded it down with apps until it got so laggy that I did a factory reset. However, I'm about to be out in the field for awhile, and I'm not willing to apply a fix that I can't easily and completely undo if my phone starts doing quirky things...