UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest DistortedLoop
Sorry if this seems a bit persnickety, but your undo instructions don't mention how to get back to a stock kernel. I'm assuming that we'd have to find a copy of the original somewhere (I'm using a stock T-Mobile Vibrant) and re-flash it using the original instructions.

I'd love the extra speed this provides, when I first got the phone I loaded it down with apps until it got so laggy that I did a factory reset. However, I'm about to be out in the field for awhile, and I'm not willing to apply a fix that I can't easily and completely undo if my phone starts doing quirky things...

This is not my hack, it is mimocan's (who's become oddly silent in the thread, btw). I just added my own 2-cents worth of advice to contribute.

My undo instructions were only an answer to those who wanted to know how to undo the move to the ext partition and weren't versed enough in the linux command line to actually figure out what the commands they'd previously typed did, and therefore figure out how to reverse them.

It seems pretty obvious to me that if you want to get back to the original kernel, you'd have to reflash the original ROM in Odin; probably just the PDA section of JG1 or JG5 or whatever you're using, since mimocan's kernel is applied by just flashing his PDA partition. I haven't tested that, and have no reason to, but it makes sense. The worst that should happen would be you'd have to wipe and reflash all of JG1/5/whatever. Backup your stuff with Titanium or MyBackup first.

It's also possible that someone could make the original kernel that's flashable as an update.zip file. Way beyond my skills. Might already be done over at xda.

As far as being out in the field and wanting to undo this...I believe the only kernel change from mimocan is to enable ext 3 or ext 4. There should be no reason to need to undo that if the sdcard hack itself starts causing you problems. Again, a full backup with a good app, and a wipe/reflash with Odin, then a restore of you backup should fix any issues and put you back to a "stock" phone with your apps and settings quickly.

I've used this hack with JG5 since the day the ext 4 was released by mimocan, and my phone has never been so fast and stable, not even when right out of the box. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go back to stock.

Good luck.

Guest DistortedLoop
hi guys, i have a newbie question.

i want to try to flash from my current JG5* to JM2. once i flash, do i have to redo the lag fix to have it working again? or will the current symlink to ext4 on sdcard carry through the flash?

should i click re-partition on odin when flashing to JM2? What does re-partition do exactly anyway?

Only necessary if you're using a pit file that's different than the one you used the last time you flashed with Odin. If you used pit 512 to go to JG5 and you're using pit 512 again, shouldn't be a problem not not check that.

Sorry, I realized that I only answered the second half of your question. The part about re-doing the lag fix, the answer is yes.

In theory (I haven't tried this) based on what we're doing, I suspect that if you did the lag fix (flash new kernel, then back just did the LAST TWO script commands) you'd be okay as long as your ext4 data hadn't been wiped. Essentially you'd be not copying over the /disk/data partition. The risk here is that if the JM2 actually changes something in /data/data that you'd be missing the changes. Someone would have to run a comparison of the appropriate directories to validate this.

Probably safer to just run Titanium backup on your apps, wipe the /disk/data and start over with the lag fix and then restore your apps backup.

Guest IDtheTarget
This is not my hack, it is mimocan's (who's become oddly silent in the thread, btw). I just added my own 2-cents worth of advice to contribute.

He's probably enjoying his weekend. At least I hope so! :( and your 2-cents are very much appreciated.

My undo instructions were only an answer to those who wanted to know how to undo the move to the ext partition and weren't versed enough in the linux command line to actually figure out what the commands they'd previously typed did, and therefore figure out how to reverse them.

Yep, and I didn't mean to be critical. just expressing, for those who don't fully understand what's going on, that your undo only undoes part of the fix, not all of it.

It seems pretty obvious to me that if you want to get back to the original kernel, you'd have to reflash the original ROM in Odin; probably just the PDA section of JG1 or JG5 or whatever you're using, since mimocan's kernel is applied by just flashing his PDA partition. I haven't tested that, and have no reason to, but it makes sense. The worst that should happen would be you'd have to wipe and reflash all of JG1/5/whatever. Backup your stuff with Titanium or MyBackup first.

I'm just getting into the scene, and I don't have as much time as I'd like to learn all of this. I'm an old linux hand (running Ubuntu 10.4 dual-booted with Win7) but some of the terminology is unique to Android phones and I have very little time these days to learn the specifics. I can tell you that, running a T-Mobile Vibrant, I haven't seen any ROM's that are guaranteed to work on my phone, so I don't know if I *can* re-flash to "the way it was".

As far as being out in the field and wanting to undo this...I believe the only kernel change from mimocan is to enable ext 3 or ext 4. There should be no reason to need to undo that if the sdcard hack itself starts causing you problems. Again, a full backup with a good app, and a wipe/reflash with Odin, then a restore of you backup should fix any issues and put you back to a "stock" phone with your apps and settings quickly.

I've used this hack with JG5 since the day the ext 4 was released by mimocan, and my phone has never been so fast and stable, not even when right out of the box. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go back to stock.

Good luck.

Well, as I mentioned, I'll be in the field with limited opportunities to recharge. If this fix increases the battery usage as anecdotally mentioned above, it wouldn't be something I could use right now.

Thanks again!

Guest DistortedLoop

No problems.

The fix does not have a noticeable impact on battery life for me. It certainly improves performance, which might actually lead to less battery drain. Think about it...the phone's less laggy, so it's not on as long a time for you to get things done.

Any time we do this stuff to our phones, it's probably good to remember that there are risks and if your phone is critical to your daily operations, you'd best have a backup device.

I flashed Paul's MCR 2 last week, but not the fixes. My phone was so unstable it was unusable. I had to use my Nexus One for the day until I had a chance to reflash the ROM to JG5.

I missed that your phone is a Vibrant in your first post. I agree you'd probably be safest to wait until you have a Vibrant stock ROM to flash back to. I'm not too familiar with Odin, and it's a pain to find a Windows box for me to test with, but Odin might have some way to back up your ROMs (I remember something about dumping the ROM as one of its options).

There's probably more useful help over at xda in the recently created Vibrant forum; you might check over there if you haven't already.

Good luck! :(

He's probably enjoying his weekend. At least I hope so! :( and your 2-cents are very much appreciated.

Yep, and I didn't mean to be critical. just expressing, for those who don't fully understand what's going on, that your undo only undoes part of the fix, not all of it.

I'm just getting into the scene, and I don't have as much time as I'd like to learn all of this. I'm an old linux hand (running Ubuntu 10.4 dual-booted with Win7) but some of the terminology is unique to Android phones and I have very little time these days to learn the specifics. I can tell you that, running a T-Mobile Vibrant, I haven't seen any ROM's that are guaranteed to work on my phone, so I don't know if I *can* re-flash to "the way it was".

Well, as I mentioned, I'll be in the field with limited opportunities to recharge. If this fix increases the battery usage as anecdotally mentioned above, it wouldn't be something I could use right now.

Thanks again!

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm just getting into the scene, and I don't have as much time as I'd like to learn all of this. I'm an old linux hand (running Ubuntu 10.4 dual-booted with Win7) but some of the terminology is unique to Android phones and I have very little time these days to learn the specifics. I can tell you that, running a T-Mob

Hey, have you checked into Koush's Clockwork recovery? (Note I'm linking to the i9000 forum on xda, you may want to check the actual Vibrant section to see if Koush's posted there with Vibrant specific things). I'd been waiting/hoping for Amon_Ra to give us a Recovery, but Koush just released a great one, and it specifically works with your Vibrant and the Captivate, as well as the i9000 most of us have.

Get ROM Manager off the Market. Well worth the $3.99 price.

You could root your Vibrant, then purchase ROM Manager and make a backup of your phone in its virgin state. Then try whatever hack or ROM you want.

If you have trouble out in the field, run a Titanium Backup (also needs root), and then use ROM Manager to restore your virgin/original ROM.

You'll want the Titanium backup to restore any changes to apps you've made since the ROM Manager backup.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest rob989_69

There are a TON of people that would love to see this fix implemented for the US versions. Hopefully Mimocan can help us out.

Guest JaGuR

How can I check if this mod worked, I am a complete noob, when it comes to ths sort of stuff.

Is there something I can do, to check if this worked ?

Guest psmitty7373
How can I check if this mod worked, I am a complete noob, when it comes to ths sort of stuff.

Lag goes away?

Guest DistortedLoop

You will almost definitely notice a speed increase in your phone's response to opening/switching apps. It's not a placebo effect as some have asserted.

You can also run the Quadrant benchmark (free on the Market) on the phone. If you're getting scores under 1000, you're not lag-fixed. If you're getting scores in the 1300-1700 range, you're fixed.

You could also use root explorer or the command line to poke into the /Disk directory on your phone. If you've got /disk/data and there's app stuff in there, you at least applied that much of the fix properly.

Guest JaGuR
You can also run the Quadrant benchmark (free on the Market) on the phone. If you're getting scores under 1000, you're not lag-fixed. If you're getting scores in the 1300-1700 range, you're fixed..

Got 890, on Quadrant, guess I will try again. :(

Guest JaGuR

OK, I am in adb shell,

have entered

su -

now have

#

typed

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

but I get cp: can't create directory '/disk/data' :read-only file system

Have I done something wrong ?

I have partioned fat32 790 meg, for first partion, and ext3 1.1gig for second partion

Followed all instructions I think, as I was supposed too :/

Guest DistortedLoop
OK, I am in adb shell,

have entered

su -

now have

#

typed

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

but I get cp: can't create directory '/disk/data' :read-only file system

Have I done something wrong ?

I have partioned fat32 790 meg, for first partion, and ext3 1.1gig for second partion

Followed all instructions I think, as I was supposed too :/

Your ext partition is Primary? You used the proper kernel for ext3? Sorry to ask obvious, but good place to start. Seems like most with this problem did something wrong with the partitioning. If you can, use the GParted app, you can get a live cd or thumb image of it. I've never had problems with that one.

If you type mount on the phone's terminal or in adb shell, do you see /disk as mounted? If no, problem with partitions.

I'm heading out and won't be able to help much further for a while. Good luck.

P.S. - I think ext 4 is a better choice. Just my preference.

Guest JaGuR
Your ext partition is Primary? You used the proper kernel for ext3? Sorry to ask obvious, but good place to start. Seems like most with this problem did something wrong with the partitioning. If you can, use the GParted app, you can get a live cd or thumb image of it. I've never had problems with that one.

If you type mount on the phone's terminal or in adb shell, do you see /disk as mounted? If no, problem with partitions.

I'm heading out and won't be able to help much further for a while. Good luck.

P.S. - I think ext 4 is a better choice. Just my preference.

I don't think I created the ext3 partion as primary,

This is what i get after typing mount

mount

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc

harset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha

rset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar

set=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset

=utf8 0 0

#

Guest goondu
I don't think I created the ext3 partion as primary,

This is what i get after typing mount

mount

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc

harset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha

rset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar

set=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset

=utf8 0 0

#

There are several ways which you can get it wrong. Your partition 1 must be in FAT32, and partition 2 in either Ext3 or Ext4.

Suggest what DistortedLoop had suggested, use GParted and a external card reader. I partitioned it as 2.6gb in FAT32 and 1gb as Ext4.

Also make sure that you format your drive (both the FAT32 and the Ext3) immediately after you had partition it. Hope this helps.

Edited by goondu

Guest aeo087
There are several ways which you can get it wrong. Your partition 1 must be in FAT32, and partition 2 in either Ext3 or Ext4.

Suggest what DistortedLoop had suggested, use GParted and a external card reader. I partitioned it as 2.6gb in FAT32 and 1gb as Ext4.

Also make sure that you format your drive (both the FAT32 and the Ext3) immediately after you had partition it. Hope this helps.

I agree, your best bet is to use GParted with an external card reader. Erase all your partitions and make your fat32 partition first and your ext3/4 second (both primary). I made my ext4 1086MB and the rest I left for the fat32 (~14GB). I tried using Paragon and was unsuccessful... Also make sure you flash mimocan's kernel with the same pit file that you flashed your firmware. If you do the previous steps right and you are rooted with busybox, ADB stuff should give you no trouble... I've done this with 3 different SD cards now and it's worked flawlessly, don't give up! :(

Guest Kilack
OK, quick question,

Does the SDCard have to be in phone when flashing the new kernal ?

It has to be in there when the phone boots up or it wont be able to mount the ext3/4 partition.

Guest JaGuR
It has to be in there when the phone boots up or it wont be able to mount the ext3/4 partition.

I reflashed the Kernal, while the sdcard was in there, and all seemed to work.

After every instruction I gave ADB Shell, it went back to #, so i assume it worked.

And I am now getting 1133 (but I am only using a cheapo sdcard, though I guess) on Quadrant, so can I safely assume, that it worked ?

Also, what happens if I remove the SDcard ?

Sorry for the noob questions

Cheers

Edited by JaGuR

Guest DistortedLoop
I reflashed the Kernal, while the sdcard was in there, and all seemed to work.

After every instruction I gave ADB Shell, it went back to #, so i assume it worked.

And I am now getting 1133 (but I am only using a cheapo sdcard, though I guess) on Quadrant, so can I safely assume, that it worked ?

Also, what happens if I remove the SDcard ?

Sorry for the noob questions

Cheers

Sounds like you've got it working. You must have a slow(er) sdcard. What brand is it? What class? I'm just curious - we're tracking results in another thread here.

As to what happens if the sdcard is not in the phone, I'm not sure it will even boot properly, but if it does, you can expect all kinds of issues with applictions since the database files for them will be missing.

If you have a good backup of the phone (get Rom Manager and do a nandroid), you could be the brave one who tests it out for the rest of us and pull the card, turn on the phone and let us know what happens... :( I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable on how to get your phone back to its working order if just putting the card back in the phone and rebooting doesn't set things right.

Guest JaGuR
you could be the brave one who tests it out for the rest of us and pull the card, turn on the phone and let us know what happens... :P I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable on how to get your phone back to its working order if just putting the card back in the phone and rebooting doesn't set things right.

I have only just come to terms with flashing, and installing this lag fix, I think i will forgo the guinea pig tests, to see what happens if I remove the sdcard :(

As for sdcard, not sure how to tell what class it is, just a cheapo bought from Big W, or Kmart I guess, and I am not going to pull it out to find out either :(

edit: Just wondering, if we could get the OP, to edit the first post, tutorial, to include having the SDCard in the phone when flashing the kernal ?

May help others, that experienced the same problems as me ??

Edited by JaGuR

Guest sl8125
There are a TON of people that would love to see this fix implemented for the US versions. Hopefully Mimocan can help us out.

@MIMOCAN

Just wondering if you had a chance to look at the i897 Captivate Kernel. If so, how does it look compare to the i9000? Any progress?

Sorry for being impatient. Since all i9000 user got froyo, i want to upgrade too. However, no go for Captivate owners. I already have the SD card repartitioned and ready to go. LOL.