possible gps fix

Guest lgkahn

Guest lgkahn

apparently the gps does not download the future satellite data as someone summized.. the i8910 had an app that would download the data for the next week.. on top of that the gps driver is too stupid to figure out that you moved locations and give up on getting a hot fix..

I just flew from philly to nh and tried with the unit outside for over an hour and it could not get a fix..

I went into the gps menu and changed the startup mode from hot to cold and it had a fix within seconds.. i have tested leaving it on cold startup and it still gets a fix within seconds.. until they fix the driver so that it after a minute or so without getting a fix switches from hot to cold mode i recommend you change this setting.

the othersetting someone recommended skyhook was no good for me . when i tried it driving around philly it would pick up wifi and jump off the road i was on.

Edited by lgkahn

Guest bambibio
apparently the gps does not download the future satellite data as someone summized.. the i8910 had an app that would download the data for the next week.. on top of that the gps driver is too stupid to figure out that you moved locations and give up on getting a hot fix..

I just flew from philly to nh and tried with the unit outside for over an hour and it could not get a fix..

I went into the gps menu and changed the startup mode from hot to cold and it had a fix within seconds.. i have tested leaving it on cold startup and it still gets a fix within seconds.. until they fix the driver so that it after a minute or so without getting a fix switches from hot to cold mode i recommend you change this setting.

the othersetting someone recommended skyhook was no good for me . when i tried it driving around philly it would pick up wifi and jump off the road i was on.

I have no issues with the GPS, but I didn't even find a GPS menu. Where is this? I can only find the tick for GPS on/off.

Guest DistortedLoop

digging around in the settings for the phone (thanks mimocan for pointing out the dial code for them), I see that there's an Operation Mode at the top, and the options are standalone, MS Based, MS Assisted, network provider.

Mine is default set to standalone. Wouldn't we get quicker initial locks with network provider or one of the other two besides standalone? Isn't that what the assisted gps is all about in other phones: tapping off the cell provider to get your position to speed up the lock with the actual satellites? I'm not sure what the MS stuff is, but I think I'll set mine to network provider and see what happens.

Guest DistortedLoop
Interesting, is there a list somewhere of all these codes?

I got a copy of the list off the samsung-firmware site that Paul references you to in the MCR kitchen thread for rooting your phone. You can dig around there for them if someone hasn't posted them here already.