Lag free Galaxy S configuration universe

Guest iLiquid

Guest iLiquid

Hi.

We all know that Galaxy S was introduced in the market with a lag problem. In the meantime 2 fixes were developed (one by Paul and the other one by mimocan) that tried to correct the issue.

I would like like to know what is the existing lag free Galaxy S configuration universe.

In my case I applied mimocan fix, but because after some hours of use the device starts to lag, I'm also using an automatic task killer solution.

What is your configuration?

Thanks.

Edited by iLiquid

I believe different people will have differing perceptions of what is "lag" to them. Eg, someone may not even tolerate 1 sec of black screen when transitioning between task while to someone else even 2 seconds may be acceptable.

My previous phone was a Winmo, HTC Diamond2. Scrolling the screen was painfully slow, opening a different app takes 3 seconds or more. The "spinning globe" thingy became my best friend :angry:

So you can imagine coming to SGS, it was like day and night, and so I was wondering what all the fuss is about "laggy"! Sure, there were times when opening an app, say Market or Handcent, there's maybe 1 second of the black screen when the app starts...but to me, it wasn't anything to complain about.

That was until I got my hands on my friend's Desire. The scrolling was smooth...switching Live wallpapers were less than a sec, opening Settings just jumped at me. Only in comparison did the SGS "felt" slower.

So I went to Modaco, xda etc to look for a "cure". Currently quite happy with Mimocan's fix. Not sure about the longterm effects yet though.

Like they say, sometimes ignorance is bliss :D

Guest iLiquid

My last mobile devices are (in order of ownership): HTC HD, Iphone 3GS and Samsung Galaxy S.

When I got the Iphone I never looked back. True, Apple has a closed system but the experience the user has with the device is unbelievable. Now my bar is very high because I have Iphone as a/the reference.

After I bought Galaxy S it was clear to me that something was wrong with it. A smartphone with these specifications has to operate without lags. And for me lags are slowness launching apps (and I'm not talking about 1sec, I'm talking of several secs with black screens), stutter navigating menus and transitions.

modaco fix corrected all of these but I discovered that with some hours of use, doing what I consider to be a "normal" use of the device (some messaging and browsing), it starts slowing down again.

Trying to correct this I started to use Task Killer apps. First I tried Advanced Task Killer, then I used TaskPanel and now I'm using AutoKiller.

I need some more days of use, but it seems to me that AutoKiller in "Agressive" setting, is the best Task Killer app to have running on Galaxy S. Until now all seems quick and smooth!

Let see what time will bring us and expect that once and for all Samsung corrects this issue on Android 2.2.

Edited by iLiquid

Guest Kilack

I was using jg5 and the ext4 fix, seemed to work for a while but now that delays are coming back..

now adding autokiller into the mix to see if that helps.. shame we have to.. not good having to kill apps, not how android is supposed to work...

Guest HansBaer2000

autokiller doesn't kill apps, the name is just misleading, for the 100. time.....

i tested all methods, mimocan's fix gave me lags with many (especially big) applications (despide class 6 toshiba sd) so i go with paul's + autokiller again, works best for me and i really don't need asphalt 5

Edited by HansBaer2000

Guest Kilack
autokiller doesn't kill apps, the name is just misleading, for the 100. time.....

i tested all methods, mimocan's fix gave me lags with many (especially big) applications (despide class 6 toshiba sd) so i go with paul's + autokiller again, works best for me and i really don't need asphalt 5

Paul's fix gave me lag which is why I moved to the external sd card that and I didn't like the idea of being confined to 130 megs..

Though I don't like the idea of not having to rely on an external card either.

Both methods seem to give lag eventually... (hoping autokiller will fix it) until samsung can... if they can.... pretty sceptical about that..

A shame companies like samsung don't have a blog where they actually keep you updated on if they are actually doing anything about the lag..

There has been no official comment from there at all has there?

Edited by Kilack

Guest Kilack

What do you mean it doesn't kill apps? It must do, how does it free memory if it doesn't kill apps/services etc...

It is killing things in the background, sure you may have exited the app but it still runs in the background, autokiller will kill those to free memory if it has to.

Even going to their site it says it kills processes and even says it is capable of killing the android clock in the background etc, that could be nasty, i assume that would take out the alarm you set to wake you up too? :angry:

Guest iLiquid
What do you mean it doesn't kill apps? It must do, how does it free memory if it doesn't kill apps/services etc...

It is killing things in the background, sure you may have exited the app but it still runs in the background, autokiller will kill those to free memory if it has to.

Even going to their site it says it kills processes and even says it is capable of killing the android clock in the background etc, that could be nasty, i assume that would take out the alarm you set to wake you up too? :angry:

I think that what HansBaer2000 tried to say is that AutoKiller works in a very different way regarding other similar (in functionality) apps.

While other Task Killer Apps stay in memory controlling the system and killing processes, AutoKiller is just an interface to set parameters used by the OS regarding when to kill processes (and this has to do with available memory).

The termination of processes are all done by the OS itself. Until now I didn't have any problem with the "Agressive" setting. I tried the "Strict" setting but I thing the device started to slow down a bit. Is just a case of finding the right values.

Guest Kilack
I think that what HansBaer2000 tried to say is that AutoKiller works in a very different way regarding other similar (in functionality) apps.

While other Task Killer Apps stay in memory controlling the system and killing processes, AutoKiller is just an interface to set parameters used by the OS regarding when to kill processes (and this has to do with available memory).

The termination of processes are all done by the OS itself. Until now I didn't have any problem with the "Agressive" setting. I tried the "Strict" setting but I thing the device started to slow down a bit. Is just a case of finding the right values.

Well ok then yes.... the end result is the same though, apps are being killed to free memory, maybe nicer that android is still handling it though..seems strange that android have chosen not to use this module.

One possible disadvantage to using this method is that you can't select apps not to be killed because as you say, now its up to the OS so if you set very aggressive settings, its like russian roulette?

Anyway Im trying aggressive for now.. will see how it goes, definitely feels snappier already but still don't like having to use things like this.

Edited by Kilack

Guest iLiquid
Well ok then yes.... the end result is the same though, apps are being killed to free memory, maybe nicer that android is still handling it though..seems strange that android have chosen not to use this module.

One possible disadvantage to using this method is that you can't select apps not to be killed because as you say, now its up to the OS so if you set very aggressive settings, its like russian roulette?

Anyway Im trying aggressive for now.. will see how it goes, definitely feels snappier already but still don't like having to use things like this.

I don't know if you have already read the technical explanation in the software site, but if you didn't, you should.

Basically the OS has defined some memory values to when it should start killing processes. What we are doing is customizing this values for the device.

EDIT: And I agree with you that we shouldn't have to change this values unless you wanted to (having a rooted device of course). But for now this is one of the very few things we have at our disposal regarding Galaxy S problems.

Edited by iLiquid

Guest seraphine

Should really try the JG5 firmware. I've flashed mine, and in stock config with no task killer or lag fix, after a day of usage (with all my friends poking at it) I've found the phone to be lag free. Everything takes < 1 second to launch, except Dolphin HD which takes ~2.

I think Samsung has finally fixed the problem.

Guest Kilack
Should really try the JG5 firmware. I've flashed mine, and in stock config with no task killer or lag fix, after a day of usage (with all my friends poking at it) I've found the phone to be lag free. Everything takes < 1 second to launch, except Dolphin HD which takes ~2.

I think Samsung has finally fixed the problem.

I think most of us are running jg5 but it still lags, maybe less..... but its still there unfortunately. I think it just feels less laggy than before and people are getting so used to small delays they dont notice it after a while.

I just go back to the iphone 3gs or nexus and notice the huge difference even with jg5

Guest DistortedLoop
I don't know if you have already read the technical explanation in the software site, but if you didn't, you should.

Basically the OS has defined some memory values to when it should start killing processes. What we are doing is customizing this values for the device.

EDIT: And I agree with you that we shouldn't have to change this values unless you wanted to (having a rooted device of course). But for now this is one of the very few things we have at our disposal regarding Galaxy S problems.

Right on these autokillers and memory managers. They are just GUI interfaces to something we could do by editing certain startup files on the phone. Pretty good explanation on Android Central.