Guest xaueious

Guest xaueious

Credits

Auxx for starting it all and pretty much writing up a howto

g4rb4g3 for prelink map

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...d-from-sources/

Cyanogenmod github for webkit sources mirror, Eclair branch and reference

Install

Tested on LCR 1.7. Should work for all stream based ROMs since I used a prelink map for the Stream dump. Not sure if this works for normal ROMs. Try and report back?

Flash as non-signed update.zip in recovery

The engine is known to break some old apps. Update to newest version from Market. (new Epocrates 3.15 confirmed to be okay!). If you don't like it, switch back. Speed improvements are real, and gifs are now animated.

V8 engine. Animates up to 32x32 gif files. Good performance and animated icons.

libwebcore_v8_smallanigif.zip

V8 engine, with full GIF support (no option to disable GIF images, so might slow down your web browsing experience a little. Will eat up more RAM. GIF files work flawlessly, tested up to 8MB animated gifs)

libwebcore_v8_fullanigif.zip

Tweaks

If you have the RAM, make sure your build.prop has a larger dalvik heap size set:

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m

or 24m

This is default in LCR1.7.2, and increases memory usage of apps.

Info

This javascript engine is known to break some old apps, but just update or contact the dev

I compiled libwebcore.so from AOSP, with source code from Cyanogenmod Webkit Branch

This is the default javascript engine in Froyo

This was known to break some apps and was pulled from Cyanogenmod 5 when they tried this.

Result of V8 Benchmark Suite - version 5, at 960 MHz with performance governor:

http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v5/run.html

asQzI.jpg

Stock score on my LCR is about 60-70

Here are some comparison scores from iPhone 4 and Froyo Nexus One:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/0...-benchmarks.ars

ios_v_android-thumb-640xauto-15275.png

Here are some more comparison scores:

Test 	Droid (2.0) 	Nexus One (2.1) 	Change

Richards 	15.6 	52.1 	+234%

DeltaBlue 	12.9 	60.2 	+367%

Crypto 	10.9 	31.7 	+191%

RayTrace 	80.1 	170 	+112%

EarleyBoyer 	74.7 	126 	+69%

RegExp 	16.5 	27.5 	+67%

Splay 	did not complete 	did not complete 	–

Not sure if full gif animations are supposed to work as well elsewhere in the code.

Edited by xaueious

Guest xian1243

You should give credits to auux, who did the research, documenting, about library compiling for the liquid and who DESERVES credit! Please refer to his thread and add proper credits to the first post.

Thanks

Guest ahsid

Very interesting !! Nice work xaueious

BTW Xian you should try "nice" one day, credits is one thing, but he also did his share of the work. After reading your post, it sounds like xaueious stole everything... :(

Anyways, I tried the benchmark with pph's froyo with kernel at 998mhz => I get :

SCORE :232

Richards :186

DeltaBlue : 149

Crypto : 241

RayTrace : 240

EarleyBoyer : 473

RegExp : 77.5

Splay : 612

EDIT : at 1075mhz I get a SCORE of 302 !!!!!

Edited by ahsid

Guest Swallow74

I tried VP8 engine with LCR 1.6 + phhusson kernel 920-lcr1.7-ramzswap+TSfix+SVS-2 and works like a charm. Result of VP8 test: 183.

Guest xaueious

Credits is first thing in the post, second line. Don't know why you are telling me to give credits when I ready did :(

This sort of thing didn't take understanding on my end. I just implemented it. Heck it's copy paste combined with research.

The info had been sitting around for weeks and I just happened to be the one who implemented it for testing

I should have just cloned Cyanogenmod repo actually. But I cloned AOSP, which still has pretty recent code in it. It took a while to clone so maybe I'll try again later.

This is my first time compiling anything other than the kernel image and the wireless module.

I just wanted to experiment with compiling a part of aosp. It's not like I'm asking for donations for this. I'm asking for results.

How are page loading times?

Edit:

Updated one with full animated GIF support. Works better than I thought. I think it's a keeper.

Edited by xaueious

Guest xian1243

Xau, actually, I posted before you actually finished your post... :( My bad

This is great for éclair users... :( I'm glad someone actually build the library...!

AOSP is better than cyanogen's source, by the way. Cyanogen's mods actually break some APIs...

The prelink map for the stream ROM should be find for any other liquid ROM, too.

Kudos xau!

Guest xaueious

Just to add a note.

Full gifs work really well on my Acer Liquid E. If you have the Liquid E, you can go ahead and use the full version. There are supposed to me memory concerns with enable full gif support on phones with less RAM such as the Acer Liquid, so it is up to you guys to test it.

Using the full version, I've tested single 2-4MB animated gif files with no lag. Typical animated gif sites like senorgif are now fully functional as well, a big plus for me.

Edited by xaueious

Guest Delnar_Ersike
is this only for the default browser or does the dolphin browser also benefit from this as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, only the default browser benefits from this. Since every Android browser is self-contained, meaning, for example, that Dolphin Browser doesn't share the same settings as the default browser or Opera Mini 5, only the default Android browser benefits from the patch.

EDIT: Did some researching, apparently Dolphin HD does use the internal webkit engine, which is also why it is only available for Android 2.0 or greater. So yes, I was wrong, Dolphin does benefit from this.

Edited by Delnar_Ersike

Guest xaueious

I believe almost everything that has a 'webview' benefits from it, and that's a lot of apps. Any app that renders content as a webpage using the internal webkit engine. Firefox is an exception that uses its own.

Guest HustlinDaily

I can confirm that Dolphin HD Browser does benefit from this. My guess is due to Dolphin being a themed version of the stock browser.

Guest Swallow74
Most apps just use the internal webkit browser

We can say that ALL Android's browsers uses native engine. Opera Mini and Skyfire are the only exceptions because both uses a proxy server for web rendering.

Guest xaueious

Okay I got 150 downloads and no feedback? :(

I want to know if this is breaking anything for anyone. It's flawless here.

Edited by xaueious

Guest blackrod
Okay I got 150 downloads and no feedback? :P

I want to know if this is breaking anything for anyone. It's flawless here.

Maybe because it works all right :( I use it too, no problem with any application. Great work xaueious :(

Edited by blackrod

Guest blackrod
Does this work with Xian?

I use it with Vachounay 1.0.1 and 998 mhz netfillter enabled overclock kernel. It works flawless here.

Guest cubens

Here are my results. I use this with Xians 0.9 with stock speed kernel.

Interesting results on

browsermark.rightware.com

Xians stock: around 19500

V8 webkit: around 15900

V8 benchmark v5

Xians stock: stuck at 89% don't finished the splay test

48 - 38 - 26 - 133 - 123 - 28 - 0

V8 webkit:

138 - 150 - 195 - 140 - 220 - 43 = 301

so the results are much better in this test, but i wonder why i lost over 3000pts. in browsermark.

i will test it now in normal daily surfing situations.

Guest uzirox

/edit.

Works PERFECTLY with Xian 0.9.

Really cool the support for animated gifs!

22.037 @ browsermark

Thank you!

Edited by uzirox

Guest ginja

hey guys does this work on normal ROM??

Ps. I still wanna keep my liquid on ''low'' profile :( I still got warranty

Edited by ginja

Guest xaueious
hey guys does this work on normal ROM??

Ps. I still wanna keep my liquid on ''low'' profile :( I still got warranty

That's why we restore factory bins