How to get your Streak back to factory condition

Guest vinokirk

Guest vinokirk

As shown in the post here,

Step by step instructions to get you Streak back to factory condition :(

HOW TO RESTORE YOUR STREAK BACK TO FACTORY CONDITION:

1. Download the stock recovery ROM here and the stock official Dell ROM here.

2. Rename the stock official Dell ROM 'Update.pkg' and put it in the root directory on your SD card.

3. Boot Streak in fastboot mode (hold camera button when turning on), press 'Fastboot Mode' button, wait 10 seconds then connect to your PC (must have Dell PC suite installed).

4. Open a command prompt, navigate to the folder where your 'fastboot-windows.exe' is stored.

5. Type 'fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c flash recovery c:\recovery.stock.img' . Make sure the .img file is in c:\ directory. The program will now update the recovery image on your Streak.

6. Once the phone reads 'Recovery Done', remove the battery and insert it again.

7. Boot Streak in Recovery mode (hold down vol up and vol down when turning on) and select option 2.

5. Wait till it installs and it'll boot into Android....DONE!

Edited by Paul

Guest deekarma

Or alternatively:

Place update.pkg on sd card root folder

Power up streak whilst holding both volume buttons

Select option 2 - "software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD card" by pressing camera button

Press camera button again

Job done, no cable or typing required.

Edit: typo

Edited by deekarma

Guest grumpy_o_g
Or alternatively:

Select option 2 - "software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD card" by pressing camera button

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for - so I can download the pkg onto the SD card and leave it there as my recovery strategy. One quick question - the image is listed as the stock Dell recovery image - I've got an O2 locked Streak bought "SIM free" from CPW. Anyone know the difference between the Dell image and the O2 image or, even better, can tell me how to copy the image that's on Streak right now to the SD card? I'm really keen to get an absolutely solid back-out plan before I root the phone (but I also really need to get Font Size on there so I don;t have to use my glasses all the time!!).

I'm sure the Dell image would work (unless someone's deliberately being very proprietary) but I can also see CPW/O2 being pedantic and refusing to go it near in the event of problems.

p.s. generic thanks to every who contributes as well - it's great to see the huge range of contributions from dash-board mounts to creating custom ROM's.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greenmgf

Hi everyone,

I am having problem doing this restore i can get it in to Fastboot and can send the comand from my Mac but al i get the Start sending recovery on the screen and that is it so i reboot and just get the clockwork recovery back on there. Can anyone help as my streak seem to be totly nackerd. And will not start up any backup fulley. Thanks Alex

Guest ajw107
1. Download the stock recovery ROM here and the stock official Dell ROM here.

Erm,not sure if this is just me, but there aren't any links to the rom here?

Alex

Guest Rory Dickens
Erm,not sure if this is just me, but there aren't any links to the rom here?

Alex

Yeah there isnt, im trying to get mine back to 1.6 after 2.1 screwed with marketplace and facebook contacts.

Guest marra2

brilliant this worked for me at second attempt, may I suggest you elaborate number 4 for people who don't know how to do commands (like me after much googling and you tube watching) you could do like a totally noob tutorial so a child could do it and you'd be a hero for the bricked ones and those wanting 2.1 !!!

Guest Paul Brown

tried doing this to get from 2.1 back to 1.6, but when i choose option 2 in the recovry menu, i've just got lit black screen, nothng else.

Any info on whats wrong here here?

Guest illmatic75
Or alternatively:

just restored my streak back to the 1.6 after spending the whole day in panic, following this method...so thanks

:D

Guest jams011072

Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm struggling getting my Streak back to 1.6 - I found the leaked Dell update for 2.1 here - installed it and all is well BUT I don't like the features of the new firmware and would like to get it back to stock.

I've tried the above but because I didn't root the phone I don't have fastboot installed to follow the steps - so I've tried the suggestion further down of renaming the file and placing it in the root of the SD card but when powering up with the volume buttons held and selecting software upgrade via update.pkg I get an error at the bottom of the screen saying

E: No Signature (972 files)

E: Verification Failed

It then reboots back to 2.1

Does anyone know how I can get my Streak back to stock in it's current state? If I need to root it can I do so from this official 2.1 build?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jam

Guest vinokirk

If you download the 1.6 Update.pkg direct from Dells(link on forum somewhere) website and then just put that onto your SD card and power on whilst pressing vol + and - that should get you back to staock 1.6

Guest AngryGuy

Maybe this thread should be titled "how to waste 6 hours of your god damn life trying to get your dell streak back to factory conditions following useless instructions"

If you have just arrived here don't bother even trying it's far more hassle than its worth! If you are having problems with a black screen after selecting the "update from Update.pkg" bit then you have most likely not used a capital U at the start (you would think that whoever uploaded the ROM would realise that 99% of people are just going to delete everything apart from the word "update" and then add .pkg at the end).

It all seems to go so well until the final bit, it finds the Update.pkg then just returns the following errors:

If you try to use the official dell file you get an error telling you that the device is already up to date.

Trying the modaco custom ROM including kitchen gives the same no signature error but this time with over a thousand files.

wtf! did you actually try this before posting it and getting all your buddies to pat you on the back?

Right rant over, that feels better. Could anybody who actually knows what they are doing provide some help for us impatient streak users. I realise this is completely Dells fault, if the device was kept properly up to date then people wouldn't be forced to turn to these dodgy updates in the first place. I mean come on, the whole world seems to be looking forward to froyo and we are having to hack our phone just to get 2.1. All i want is for google maps and the emulators to have multitouch!

Guest Birkenfelder

I tried to install 1.6. but failed.

Trying to get into the Fast Boot Mode.My screen shows only "Fast boot", i cannot change anything on the screen. The screen also shows "touch calibration" and a red line with "Default NV checked #3" plus a num pad.

any idea, what I am doing wrong?

Guest yosemite-sam
I tried to install 1.6. but failed.

Trying to get into the Fast Boot Mode.My screen shows only "Fast boot", i cannot change anything on the screen. The screen also shows "touch calibration" and a red line with "Default NV checked #3" plus a num pad.

any idea, what I am doing wrong?

on that screen can you tap on the word Fastboot? it should then change to waiting for usb, something like that.

thats when you plug in the usb and the screen should change to just Fastboot ready for you to run the commands

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest Birkenfelder
on that screen can you tap on the word Fastboot? it should then change to waiting for usb, something like that.

thats when you plug in the usb and the screen should change to just Fastboot ready for you to run the commands

unfortunatly i cannot tab on any words, nothing changes. I can press the volume button, then the screen gets black and some seconds later under the words " Touch calibration" appears the word " fail".

Thats it. :-((

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Philverb
unfortunatly i cannot tab on any words, nothing changes. I can press the volume button, then the screen gets black and some seconds later under the words " Touch calibration" appears the word " fail".

Thats it. :-((

I am having the same problem with my Streak, which is from the USA beta.

The difference for me is that I don't get any such things as the 'NV' characters; nor do I get any red line.

I see only:

1. (Top Left) "Touch Calibration"

2. (Top Right) "FastBoot"

3. (Bottom Left) "Press:"

4. (Bottom Right) --Phone keypad with numeric buttons and the two labels "CLS" and "Enter" on their own buttons.

The area of the screen with an unbounded word "FastBoot" has not been clickable at all.

The first time I tried to boot into fastboot this way, these things appeared and then I attempted to use the numeric keypad --and each attempt failed, printing the wrong character. When I pressed "1", then for example, the number "6" would appear.

I then pressed the top volume button and the screen went dark. After ~3 seconds, the screen was repopulated identically, *except* for the word "FAIL" beneath the "Touch Calibration" on the top left.

I then retried without rebooting. This time, all my keypresses were accurate. I pressed the top volume button again, and the screen went dark again. The same display reappeared, along with the word "FAIL" in red beneath "Touch Calibration".

I then rebooted into fastboot again --but this time, all of my key-presses were accurate the first time. I filled up the 10 characters of space after the "Press" item on the bottom left by pressing the number pad buttons in sequence. I then pressed the top volume button, but then got the red "FAIL" when the screen came back on.

This phone was rooted (at least) once, then updated to 2.1, then (I believe) flashed with a 1.6 image. After the first aforementioned update, wiped with a factory reset.

Touch screen mis-calibration problems were reported/observed after the first manual ROM flash. That has still been a problem for me since acquiring the Streak, and the only workaround I have yet found is a temporary adjustment using one of the engineering tools beneath the Eng. menu item "EMlist". This workaround is only functional until the screen goes to sleep, and then I get the same behavior from the touchscreen that forces me to trickily press items quickly or in a swiping motion, which is maddeningly inefficient.

Here is that little "procedure", as I typed it up:

################################

1. Enable Engineering apps by dialing *#*#307#*#* into the Phone Keypad.

2. In Application drawer, Go to "EMlist"

3. In "EMlist", go to "Touch Panel".

4. In "TouchPanel", go to "Configuration"

5. In "Configuration", under "Interrupt Mode", I changed the selected radio button from "CoordinateCompare" to "SensePeriodical" --and the keyboard began to behave as I'd hope, with no trace of the difficulties before. However, upon opening that applet up to this point, I observed that the value had reset itself to "CoordinateCompare". There is apparently an "OK" button below there that needs to be pressed in order to save the Configuration change. However, upon reboot, the same old problems reappeared, and the setting had reverted to "CoordinateCompare". There must be a way to hard code this setting, but I'm not sure just where.

################################

The speculation from the last owner is that this may be hardware failure in the digitizer, which would kind of stink because I can't get Dell to fix or trade out this device from the Texas beta program.

I'm really hoping that this is a software issue, especially seeing how changing from the "CoordinateCompare" Touchpanel Configuration setting solves the main problem 100%, if only temporarily.

I'd love to get more input or feedback about this shared problem, and I also hope that this post of mine helps someone else make shareable progress.

My device specs are in my signature now.

Edited by Philverb

Guest djanowski
Maybe this thread should be titled "how to waste 6 hours of your god damn life trying to get your dell streak back to factory conditions following useless instructions"

If you have just arrived here don't bother even trying it's far more hassle than its worth! If you are having problems with a black screen after selecting the "update from Update.pkg" bit then you have most likely not used a capital U at the start (you would think that whoever uploaded the ROM would realise that 99% of people are just going to delete everything apart from the word "update" and then add .pkg at the end).

It all seems to go so well until the final bit, it finds the Update.pkg then just returns the following errors:

If you try to use the official dell file you get an error telling you that the device is already up to date.

Trying the modaco custom ROM including kitchen gives the same no signature error but this time with over a thousand files.

wtf! did you actually try this before posting it and getting all your buddies to pat you on the back?

Right rant over, that feels better. Could anybody who actually knows what they are doing provide some help for us impatient streak users. I realise this is completely Dells fault, if the device was kept properly up to date then people wouldn't be forced to turn to these dodgy updates in the first place. I mean come on, the whole world seems to be looking forward to froyo and we are having to hack our phone just to get 2.1. All i want is for google maps and the emulators to have multitouch!

Im not as PO as your self, but I do have a 595.00 US dollar brick. I cant even get into my SD card on the phone now. So im going to start the process all over and see if I can recover this phone. Sucks to be me.