I9000XXJP3 Froyo Firmware Released!

Guest AXIS of Reality

Guest AXIS of Reality

Hi all,

As the title says, now we've got JP3 Froyo firmware!

I'm still downloading at the moment, but from reports in the XDA thread it's fixed most of the problems with the previous JP1 and JP2 Froyo firmwares such as the scrolling and black shown as grey in videos. While the Linpack score is still the same it feels much faster and smoother.

XDA THREAD: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=738928

DOWNLOAD: http://www.multiupload.com/FB7ZO0CAAOl

NOTES:

- Root not working yet

- Most dev tools gone (more like public version than dev version)

Edited by AXIS of Reality

Awesome function in this rom. You can take screenshots without any app. :( Just press the arrow+home (still pressing arrow when you press home) and it takes the shot. :(

Guest 7500usr
Awesome function in this rom. You can take screenshots without any app. :( Just press the arrow+home (still pressing arrow when you press home) and it takes the shot. :(

needs to be ported to the captivate...might be a weekend project

Guest DistortedLoop

Fast impromvement they're making. Sounds like Samsung really sincere about wanting to get the FroYo out by August. I read it's part of their strategy to become a powerhouse in the Android community and undo the bad rep they've gotten with older phones that are still on 1.5 & 1.6 Android.

For me NO ROOT = NO INSTALL on my phone. :(

Those of you testing it out, thanks for doing so and keeping we less daring types informed.

Guest Blackfish

Any problems so far?

I have a nandroid backup but i need to use my old PC for flashing (Mac user) and that takes sooooo long...

Any problems so far?

I have a nandroid backup but i need to use my old PC for flashing (Mac user) and that takes sooooo long...

Yes, problems are always on test roms. But how big are the problems and how much it affect for some users.

So far the biggest problem on my phone is a very bad reception. At least in Finland in my network. To the speed I'm not still happy. But overall this feels good. Couple more roms and I think it's really considerable for a everyday use (even though, I'm already using this as everyday use).

Guest morfic

Anyone who tried jp1/jp2/jp3 checked available ram?

'adb shell cat /proc/meminfo'

Stock vibrant shows me about 333mb for total.

I'm hoping there isn't really ~180mb used by radio/framebuffer.

Not that I don't like my vibrant as is.

Just very curious about this number ever since I saw the mt3g's 96mb out of 192mb.

Guest Gary Crutcher
Anyone who tried jp1/jp2/jp3 checked available ram?

'adb shell cat /proc/meminfo'

Stock vibrant shows me about 333mb for total.

I'm hoping there isn't really ~180mb used by radio/framebuffer.

Not that I don't like my vibrant as is.

Just very curious about this number ever since I saw the mt3g's 96mb out of 192mb.

On mine, JP3 shows 312mb total ram

Guest ascito

@Paul

Hi mate,

yesterday on twitter you said you wanted to work on Froyo release. Well, I think it would be necessary to have a better method to ROOT JP3, without passing through JP2 Kernel, don't you?

Guest _ray_

hi guys has any1 tried applying the new firmware on orange branded galaxy S...if yes did u have to root the the phone or just a straight forward flash worked ?

cheers

Guest DistortedLoop
@Paul

Hi mate,

yesterday on twitter you said you wanted to work on Froyo release. Well, I think it would be necessary to have a better method to ROOT JP3, without passing through JP2 Kernel, don't you?

Well, I'd think Paul would just include the root files (su, busybox, etc) in the /system folder of his ROM in the first place, which is all that the JP2 kernel hack lets you do.

Guest ascito

If it can help, here it is my list of bugs found in three days of use, listed as I remember them:

* battery indicator is faulty

* in storage mode, I was unable to write on external sd with my pc. I can only do it by using file explorer on device.

* flash player doesn't work. To fix it I had to reinstall it, but I had several browser force closed. To solve it, temporary I guess, I had to reinstall once again flash player. However browser is slow and it hangs sometimes.

* black level in camera recording mode are not good. It seems like faded...On JM2 it was perfect. Also there seems to be a luck of sync in audio/video recording.

*language translations are incomplete.

* no direct root available.

Edited by ascito

Guest Xoneso
Well, I'd think Paul would just include the root files (su, busybox, etc) in the /system folder of his ROM in the first place, which is all that the JP2 kernel hack lets you do.

To do that Paul will need to fix so he can use update.zip's again as that is the way we apply his roms :) And atm we can't use that on JP3 :D

Guest Mike Beecham
Are you using JP2 or JP3? Hope it'll be JP3 :)

Paul mentioned in twitter that he'll be using JP3...which is great cause I use it :D

With regards to rooting...I hope there's instructions how, as I really dont know how root JP3 :D

Guest DistortedLoop
Making a rooted version now...

P

Excellent. I hadn't bothered with FroYo until now, and only on my Nexus One (using the kang-o-rama rom (mostly cyanogen with a bunch of tweaks) from xda). It's got me drooling for FroYo on my i9000 now.

Can you include ext 3/4 support in the kernel (or as an option) so those of us so inclined can continue to use mimocan's fix? The i/o speeds and quadrant scores with stuff on the external card are mind-blowing.

Guest DistortedLoop
Paul mentioned in twitter that he'll be using JP3...which is great cause I use it :)

With regards to rooting...I hope there's instructions how, as I really dont know how root JP3 :D

See Paul's post, he's including root. If your anxious for it right now, on the prior page of this thread, someone posted links to instructions on rooting JP3.

Something about flashing JP3, then flashing a kernel only image of JP2, copying the root files to the phone, then re-flashing just the kernel from JP3.

Doesn't adb give you root access to the phone to begin with, or do you have to be root even with adb to push stuff to the /system partition? Is it that JP2 is a dev kernel with root, and JP3 is not? Otherwise, why not just use adb to push the root stuff over? Too simple, must be a dev kernel vs. non-dev kernel thing...