Acer Liquid Screen Repair

Guest iakonadub

Guest iakonadub

I've currently disassembled and replaced the screen of my acer liquid, but the only problem is when I go to reboot it the screen does not power on. It boots as I can hear start up sound play and when I hook it up to a computer the notification light at the top lights up. Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting the screen to come on, I might have some connections/grounding screwed up or something...

-Thanks

Guest Charlton22
I've currently disassembled and replaced the screen of my acer liquid, but the only problem is when I go to reboot it the screen does not power on. It boots as I can hear start up sound play and when I hook it up to a computer the notification light at the top lights up. Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting the screen to come on, I might have some connections/grounding screwed up or something...

-Thanks

Maybe be the screen is on and there is no back light?

Check the backlight ribbon connector and screen ribbon connection.

Make sure there are no damages on the ribbon...

GOOD LUCK

Guest stilkus

@ iakonadub

Since you already disassembled your A1 unit, could you check if there is any over extended parts is the upper right corner of this device which may be pressuring the screen in this area causing leaks in our liquids screens .. It would be nice if you found something like this then people can simply remove it and prevent future screen breakages in your device and others too ..

I already know that this issue is a common one in the white units only, so if you don't own a white unit then forget what was just said :(

cheers :(

Guest wildgunman

I have yesterday replaced my display with the same issue.

the mistake was the big flex cable on the middle.

you must it really strong press in the connector from the circuit board.

Guest iakonadub

So, were you experiencing the same thing after you replaced your screen? And then you made sure the connector from the LCD screen was firmly connected?

Also, do you know where that black rubber piece goes in the first three pictures...?

Here are some photos from my disassembly for future reference if anyone somehow needs to remember where certain parts go. It's a bit ridiculous that there are no disassembly or tear down photos for this phone. I know it's not that popular, but geez.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11742822369690...eat=directlinkp

@ iakonadub

Since you already disassembled your A1 unit, could you check if there is any over extended parts is the upper right corner of this device which may be pressuring the screen in this area causing leaks in our liquids screens .. It would be nice if you found something like this then people can simply remove it and prevent future screen breakages in your device and others too ..

I already know that this issue is a common one in the white units only, so if you don't own a white unit then forget what was just said :(

cheers :(

I'll look into it for you.

Edited by iakonadub

• 3 weeks later...
Guest christonge

Hi,

I would really appreciate it if you could detail exactly what you mean as I too have bought a replacement screen but I have the same issue.

Thanks in advance

Guest Wendigogo
Can I ask where did you find the replacement screen and if there're other spare parts available, i.e. the external body?
For the screen there's a lot on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Screen-Display-TOU...PDA_Accessories. For other parts, I don't know ... maybe on the same place.

Could someone detail the way to disassemble this phone please ? I mean : how many (and where they are) screws, connectors etc. and some elementary precautions in doing it. :huh:

I may change my own screen in some weeks and I didn't do that kind of stuff before (got some experience in computers but not on phones). I'll try to make a full technical manual with some pictures if anything goes right.

Guest jnemeth
For the screen there's a lot on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Screen-Display-TOU...PDA_Accessories. For other parts, I don't know ... maybe on the same place.

Could someone detail the way to disassemble this phone please ? I mean : how many (and where they are) screws, connectors etc. and some elementary precautions in doing it. :huh:

I may change my own screen in some weeks and I didn't do that kind of stuff before (got some experience in computers but not on phones). I'll try to make a full technical manual with some pictures if anything goes right.

Hi,

As far as I know two screws on the top, after removing the back cover (where battery is placed). Then you need to remove the rest of the back cover (the small part) - I have no idea how to do it. I guess you need to put something between the front/back cover on the side of the phone... Then you should find two other screws behind this cover. To remove the next layer you will find clips on both sides, 3 (or 4?) pieces per side. Then you are somewhere deep and you need to remove the circuit switches and the rest of the "brain" to get to the screen.

As I have also problems with my screen and thinking of replacement I really would appreciate your picture based manual. ;)

Good luck and please keep us posted!

J.

Guest Wendigogo

@jnemeth

Thanks for answering and giving some information about position of screws etc. :huh:

I'm thinking of buying my new screen this week-end on ebay ...

• 1 month later...
Hi,

As far as I know two screws on the top, after removing the back cover (where battery is placed). Then you need to remove the rest of the back cover (the small part) - I have no idea how to do it. I guess you need to put something between the front/back cover on the side of the phone... Then you should find two other screws behind this cover. To remove the next layer you will find clips on both sides, 3 (or 4?) pieces per side. Then you are somewhere deep and you need to remove the circuit switches and the rest of the "brain" to get to the screen.

As I have also problems with my screen and thinking of replacement I really would appreciate your picture based manual. :lol:

Good luck and please keep us posted!

J.

You are correct regarding the 2 screws on the top, but for the next 2 you have to remove, carefully but with force, the bottom cover (where the usb is located). From then on its a question of adhesive and tape.

• 1 month later...
Guest BENmeister

Hi,

I have today replaced the screen on my liquid as well.

Was happy to see that the phone started up fine, the new screen looks great.

Not to the problem: The screen doesn't react at all when i touch it, so the touch doesnt work.

What can ive done wrong?

Edit: I now realize i didnt connect the digitizer with the lcd, clumsy me! :S

Anyone know how and where to connect the digitizer with the lcd?

Edited by BENmeister

Guest Reapman

Ugh so, only had my phone for a few months, but managed tonight to break the screen.. big nasty crack, and and although it responds to SOME touches, I can't get past the security screen... I can't believe how stupid I feel right now..

Short of it is I'm sitting here in my hotel room (out of country at the moment) trying to pry the back small piece off, anyone have tips? I tried a bit but just managed to chip the plastic some.. tried to wedge something between the piece and the phone, sort of near the microsd / sim slot is.

Tried viewing the photos but wouldn't let me in.. Trying to figure out if it's worth spending $90 for a new screen, or just buck up and get a new phone...

Edit: Also, will a screen/digitizer for the A1 S100 work on a Liquid E?

Edited by Reapman

Guest Reapman
I replaced my acer liquid screen successful yesterday. I might put up a guide of to fix it properly

I would greatly appreciate it if you do, probably ordering a replacement screen tomorrow!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Reapman

Ok so I got my replacement screen and spent the last several hours working on it. Initially I had trouble getting it to boot, so reflashing and poking around, finally got it going. However I am missing ((at least) two things - Sound and Vibration. Anyone have a clue where I should start looking in there? Tried taking it apart a few times but haven't had any luck :)

Guest delillo2009

Sorry to hear about your problems. Can't really help you, but I got similar experience with my screen repair. After screen replacement gps and vibration stopped to work. I don't need vibration but gps with MyTracks was in my every day use.

Guest MrVanes

So I fixed my broken screen tonight as well. At first it wouldn't boot, but it turned out some board connectors at the backside had come off while prying at the flat cables and main board from the front plane. Anyway... it's all fine and dandy again. And if I can do it, anyone can do it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paulska

hey guys, just dropped my liquid E and the lens cracked.

the screen is 100 % functional just the glass has a split through the middle.

would i have to get a whole new lcd and lens combo or am i able to replace just the glass.

Ive only been ablt to find this and thats a tad expencive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Liquid-E-LCD-and-...583835149076722

any suggestions? is the s100/a1 screen the same as the E?

thanks Paul

Edited by Paulska

Guest Morris Lee

Happy new year people! I found a service manual a while ago, and here it is! It pretty much has ALL the steps to disassemble it, but I have not actually taken it apart.

Morris Lee

Guest MrVanes

I bought and installed this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290494963149

Some tips:

* Reserve LOTS of time for the operation, so you don't feel any pressure.

* Don't drink coffee before! :(

* LOOK VERY CAREFULLY before you disasemble the various flatcables, they're folded like world-record origami!

* There are only 4(!) screws in the Liquid, the rest is GLUE!!

* The 2nd pair of screws is below the dark panel on the downside

Good luck! ;)

PS: The manual is AWESOME, I wish I had found it before fixing my Liquid!

Edited by MrVanes

Guest Morris Lee
I bought and installed this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290494963149

Some tips:

* Reserve LOTS of time for the operation, so you don't feel any pressure.

* Don't drink coffee before! :(

* LOOK VERY CAREFULLY before you disasemble the various flatcables, they're folded like world-record origami!

* There are only 4(!) screws in the Liquid, the rest is GLUE!!

* The 2nd pair of screws is below the dark panel on the downside

Good luck! ;)

PS: The manual is AWESOME, I wish I had found it before fixing my Liquid!

I know eh? So many people have screen issues, I came by one couple of days on my phone on some forum, but forgot to share it ;) already posted a new thread for it including the link you provided for where to get the screen ;)

Guest Paulska

Hey guys, thanks for the links, but that still doesn't answer my question.

Does the A1/S100 have the exact same screen as the Liquid E.

as i always just see "Compatibility Acer Liquid A1 S100" Never "Liquid E" except for the $150 one i posted before

Guest Morris Lee
Hey guys, thanks for the links, but that still doesn't answer my question.

Does the A1/S100 have the exact same screen as the Liquid E.

as i always just see "Compatibility Acer Liquid A1 S100" Never "Liquid E" except for the $150 one i posted before

I would certainly hope they are the same :S

I only know that they upgraded the RAM on the liquid E from the original liquid. I don't see why they should make a new screen for it as it seems to share the same problem with the sensor, sensitivity etc. I hope someone has tested it out and told us, cause I like to know too as I have the E as well!!

Maybe you can ask the seller if it is compatible with liquid E, if you see one that is compatible with both liquid and liquid e, chance it is that they are all the same