Official: HTC rolling out Android 2.2, 720p video, iTunes sync to unlocked Euro Desires this weekend

Guest manicyaz

Guest manicyaz

Whoooo!

"The Android 2.2 (FroYo) update for HTC Desire will start rolling out across Europe this weekend. As well as including the complete set of Android 2.2 features, the update will contain a few special additions of our own through the latest iteration of HTC Sense. The update will provide 720p video capture, HTC's App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, and improved multi-language keyboard. Also, through the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.

HTC Desire users will be notified that the over-the-air update is available to download when their phone automatically checks for software updates. The update won't delete any of the phone's content. However, due to the size of the update, we would advise using a WiFi connection to download it wherever possible to avoid additional data charges.

This update will initially roll out to unlocked HTC Desire handsets. Operator specific versions of the update are undergoing testing and we expect to make them available in several weeks' time."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/30/officia...deo-capture-to/

Guest sooee

Whoooo! Although I've rooted my phone and installed the r5 Froyo ROM from this site - I'm guessing I can't flash this ROM stright away as it will break Apps2SD?

Guest GuyAdams

So I rooted my phone using unrevoked, my questions are;

1) obviously it needs unrooting to get the OTA update, how do I do this?

2) Does it matter that I have the custom recovery image installed from the unrevoked root? If so how can I put the standard one back?

Many thanks.

Guest spiry2sick
So I rooted my phone using unrevoked, my questions are;

1) obviously it needs unrooting to get the OTA update, how do I do this?

2) Does it matter that I have the custom recovery image installed from the unrevoked root? If so how can I put the standard one back?

Many thanks.

I suppose the 'proper - not nexus one based' froyo modded rooms will appear on modaco soon. Just be patient for a few more days.

Guest manicyaz
I suppose the 'proper - not nexus one based' froyo modded rooms will appear on modaco soon. Just be patient for a few more days.

Pretty happy with the R6 release - so I am also going to hold off and wait for Paul to work his magic.

Guest GuyAdams

Well I wanted to try out the official release and my first OTA update :s Is it possible?

Guest Pieronip
I will get a rooted version done within hours of it's release providing I'm not sleeping...

Sleeping???

How could you sleep at a time like this.

:(

Guest lnoormohamed

just a quick question will i be able to install this on r6 rooted desire which came orange braneded

btw im on about the generic rom when it comes out or can i do an OTA with the R6 rom?

Guest z7x8c9

I have a a rooted Desire and have install a custom rom from Paul's kitchen (2.1 version).

If I install the update, I will loose root, right?

Thanks

Guest fatboygrim
I have a a rooted Desire and have install a custom rom from Paul's kitchen (2.1 version).

If I install the update, I will loose root, right?

Thanks

Yes, you will lose root if you install the official update - wait for a rooted version of the update (won't take long!)

Guest HearThatVoiceAgain

OK this is as good a time as any to get this question (and its answer) out there.

Assuming you are unrooted and assuming you bought your phone unlocked (as these are the ones that will get updated first according to HTC)

If you get the notification that there is an update, what do you have to do to find out the address of that update so it can be downloaded by DEVs for us rooted types.

I know it has something to do with checking Logcat while it is downloading, but not exactly what.

anyone want to post a link or explain here?

Guest CaspaTheGhost

Just checked for an update on my handset and it says there isnt one available - this is interesting as there has been an update available for me for quite a while now but I havent done it due to the radio version and Orange handset issue...

Maybe a sign that the Froyo update is to come?!

We live and hope...

Guest Matchstick

I'm finding it somewhat odd that none of the websites reporting this are posting a link to the HTC Press Release and that there's no mention of it anwhere I can see on the HTC website...

Guest David_P

I have a originally Orange branded handset. I made it generic (not rooted) and a little while back performed the OTA update to 1.21.405.2 but I was one of the unlucky ones to get the wrong radio version as the handset was still locked to Orange. I lost wifi!!

I then unlocked the handset via one of the HTC unlock code sites and my handset is now generic and unlocked as far as network is concerned.

My question is, should I be able to install the OTA update if it is offered to me, without any issues??

Regards

David

Guest julk77

I have a question :

Is there a risk that through an OTA upgrade, HTC would upgrade as well the HBOOT part the same time ?

It would be quite convenient for them to do so in order to block the rooting of the devices.

Thanks!

Guest rdoxenham

I'm definitely waiting for a 'hacked' official ROM- I'm happy with r5 at the moment, may try out r6 but everything is stable at the moment!

Guest manicyaz
I'm definitely waiting for a 'hacked' official ROM- I'm happy with r5 at the moment, may try out r6 but everything is stable at the moment!

I have been running R6 for the last week and everything works great. Aside from Auto market updates - has anyone else been having problems with this?

Guest Handymeister
I have been running R6 for the last week and everything works great. Aside from Auto market updates - has anyone else been having problems with this?

It seems so, that only updates for google apps works automaticly!

All other apps want's to be updated manually.