AT&T Streaks locked out!!!

Guest hdbueller

Guest parks387
I've been suspended, and I do live in Austin, Texas...

interesting.. curious as to why this would happen for some and not for others.

Guest k1973

interesting.. curious as to why this would happen for some and not for others.

It's not a "Texas thing", "SIM Card thing", or "Dell thing". This is all an AT&T thing. So if you are on another network like T-Mobile or Rogers in Canada, then you will not be affected. As far as some people that are still using their Streaks on AT&T, it's only a matter of time from what I have been told. They do IMEI sweeps all the time, not just for the Streak, but for other "not approved" devices as well.

Edited by k1973

Guest parks387
I've been suspended, and I do live in Austin, Texas...interesting.. curious as to why this would happen for some and not for others.

It's not a "Texas thing", "SIM Card thing", or "Dell thing". This is all an AT&T thing. So if you are on another network like T-Mobile or Rogers in Canada, then you will not be affected. As far as some people that are still using their Streaks on AT&T, it's only a matter of time from what I have been told. They do IMEI sweeps all the time, not just for the Streak, but for other "not approved" devices as well.

Had one friend come out with a deactivated streak. mine still works, but given that I only use it wtih wifi with the occasional sim card swap to use the navigation app in the car, it most likely wont affect me too negatively

Guest McHale

For reference, when you call AT&T to complain, remind them of THIS:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phon...12-05-att_N.htm

"You can use any handset on our network you want," says Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T's wireless business. "We don't prohibit it, or even police it."

If they pull this crap on my Nexus One, I'm gone and never looking back after 15 years of loyal service.

-Mc

Guest JoshGantt
Are any of your phones that are being shut down, rooted? Are you all running version 3562?

Mine was suspended, it was rooted and originally on build 3562, but the night before it got suspended I flashed the custom ROM r1 based on build 4399. It worked just fine, despite being on baseband -00, right up until 10:30 am. Now I've got dumbphone anxiety due to the sony ericsson 580 I'm using temporarily.

Guest Bigr215

This was posted by a dell employee on engadget:

ChisosClimber Posted Aug 3rd 2010 10:07PM Full disclosure: I am a Dell employee. I also received one of the beta test units for participating in the Congress Avenue Mile. I have been using my own AT&T SIM card since the beta test ended-- I did not think or even expect free use to continue past the test. The paperwork we signed as part of the beta stated that, during the beta test, the device was property of Dell; once the test was complete, the device was ours with Dell's compliments. My AT&T account was suspended today, too, after I received the "you are using an unapproved device" text this past Sunday. My account is and always has been current. I called the Dell 800 number in the text and was told that AT&T was blocking the devices because they had not yet been released on their network in the U.S. The person I spoke with took down my Dell service tag & IMEI number for Dell's records. When I put my SIM in my old phone and called AT&T to un-suspend my service, the-- admittedly-- very pleasant gentleman I spoke to confirmed that, in fact, it was a blanket IMEI block on all the beta units. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why AT&T cares what device I use to provide them revenue. In short, AT&T is blocking a device I rightfully own on an account that is 100% current. I have filed a complaint with the FCC and am waiting to see what happens. I have absolutely NO inside Dell knowledge of this situation or the Streak in general. Gimme a break, I'm in HR. Even if I did know, I would share. Sorry-- I enjoy paying my mortgage and feeding my kid... oh yeah, and I'm in HR.

As for the device-- I love it, and feel like a finger, or maybe a hand, has been cut off. I was really worried about the size, but couldn't believe how quickly that became a non-issue. It rides around in my pocket, no problem. I really hope my device eventually, somehow, comes back online. I would even buy a replacement, non-beta unit... yeah, I really do like it that much.

Guest Eric.Druse
This was posted by a dell employee on engadget:

ChisosClimber Posted Aug 3rd 2010 10:07PM Full disclosure: I am a Dell employee. I also received one of the beta test units for participating in the Congress Avenue Mile. I have been using my own AT&T SIM card since the beta test ended-- I did not think or even expect free use to continue past the test. The paperwork we signed as part of the beta stated that, during the beta test, the device was property of Dell; once the test was complete, the device was ours with Dell's compliments. My AT&T account was suspended today, too, after I received the "you are using an unapproved device" text this past Sunday. My account is and always has been current. I called the Dell 800 number in the text and was told that AT&T was blocking the devices because they had not yet been released on their network in the U.S. The person I spoke with took down my Dell service tag & IMEI number for Dell's records. When I put my SIM in my old phone and called AT&T to un-suspend my service, the-- admittedly-- very pleasant gentleman I spoke to confirmed that, in fact, it was a blanket IMEI block on all the beta units. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why AT&T cares what device I use to provide them revenue. In short, AT&T is blocking a device I rightfully own on an account that is 100% current. I have filed a complaint with the FCC and am waiting to see what happens. I have absolutely NO inside Dell knowledge of this situation or the Streak in general. Gimme a break, I'm in HR. Even if I did know, I would share. Sorry-- I enjoy paying my mortgage and feeding my kid... oh yeah, and I'm in HR.

As for the device-- I love it, and feel like a finger, or maybe a hand, has been cut off. I was really worried about the size, but couldn't believe how quickly that became a non-issue. It rides around in my pocket, no problem. I really hope my device eventually, somehow, comes back online. I would even buy a replacement, non-beta unit... yeah, I really do like it that much.

Since streaks are blocked by IMEI number, can anybody re-flash it?

Guest BigPrince

So has anyone explored avenues out of this mess? Are you going to sell your streak, dispute the sale with ebay/paypal/whomever, sue the seller, hope Dell/AT&T have a change of heart, wait for the FCC, change your IMEI, use it for wifi only... Or something else? I actually really like my streak but will not accept a wifi only device. I've reached out to the guy who sold it to me but not sure what could be done there. This sucks for no reason. If it worked on 2100 I'd probably say screw AT&T and go to t-mobile but I don't want 2g speeds....:) damn.

Guest mariantiani

Any chance that yours blocked imei's streaks works overseas? imei's blocking does lock your phone outside usa, or is an usa carrier agreement? consider the option to sell overseas...

Edited by mariantiani

Guest foxfire235
Any chance that yours blocked imei's streaks works overseas? imei's blocking does lock your phone outside usa, or is an usa carrier agreement? consider the option to sell overseas...

I think I'm going to wait until the official release here in the USA. If they don't unlblock the IMEI's after that I will sell it to someone in Canada or the the EU. It sure is a bummer though. I only had mine 2 days before it was blocked. :)

Guest hdbueller

They still work on any other GSM carrier EXCEPT AT&T.....for now. Supposedly, they will be unblocked after the release..... whenever the hell that is..... :)

Edited by hdbueller

Guest Bigr215

I was just shut down for the second time in two weeks. It looks like the automated program that locks out your account is running on a weekly schedule. I called in and spoke to a manager. I let the manager I spoke to from at&t know that I have been a long time customer in good standing. So long that I am no longer under contract and I paid a lot of money for this phone. I also let him know that I can take this phone and use it on T-Mobile or one of the other US or international GSM networks with no problem and that in a statement to USA Today thier CEO Ralph de la Vega said "You can use any handset on our network you want. We don't prohibit it, or even police it." They are the only ones blocking it. In response he is trying to find out if he can give me a Samsung captivate for my trouble. I plan on keeping the streak until its released and then switching back. If it still doesnt work I'll switch to T-Moble or Verizon (using a blackberry stom sim).

Guest parcsalooc
I was just shut down for the second time in two weeks. It looks like the automated program that locks out your account is running on a weekly schedule. I called in and spoke to a manager. I let the manager I spoke to from at&t know that I have been a long time customer in good standing. So long that I am no longer under contract and I paid a lot of money for this phone. I also let him know that I can take this phone and use it on T-Mobile or one of the other US or international GSM networks with no problem and that in a statement to USA Today thier CEO Ralph de la Vega said "You can use any handset on our network you want. We don't prohibit it, or even police it." They are the only ones blocking it. In response he is trying to find out if he can give me a Samsung captivate for my trouble. I plan on keeping the streak until its released and then switching back. If it still doesnt work I'll switch to T-Moble or Verizon (using a blackberry stom sim).

What number did you dial? I might go the same route as in, I am in the same boat as you as far as my contract is concerned. Did they unblock your device the first time you complained?

Guest Bigr215
What number did you dial? I might go the same route as in, I am in the same boat as you as far as my contract is concerned. Did they unblock your device the first time you complained?

Yes they unblocked the account but I think it was done by accident. I called the AT&T wireless customer service line at 1-800-331-0500. I just called back to get a status update and got a different rep. and she was less than helpful. I am waiting for a call back from a supervisor now. I have a feeling that I'm about to switch to another cell phone provider. Dell and At&t have truly boched the release of this product. I was told that they have cut the phone off because it hasn't been fully tested safe on a US network. But its been released on other networks internationaly and its fine and was released on At&t's US network for a month for testing. It's really strange.

Guest BigPrince

Has anyone tried putting their Streak back on AT&T after they unblock your line?

Or Is anyone running on T-mobile? How's the speed?

I'm getting antsy and either going to try my iPhone SIM in my Streak again or switch to T-Mobile.

AT&T as a whole doesn't bother me but I pay the same as I would if I switched to T-mobile's Unlimited plan. Just the 2G only speed compatibility worries me.

Guest foxfire235
Has anyone tried putting their Streak back on AT&T after they unblock your line?

Or Is anyone running on T-mobile? How's the speed?

I'm getting antsy and either going to try my iPhone SIM in my Streak again or switch to T-Mobile.

AT&T as a whole doesn't bother me but I pay the same as I would if I switched to T-mobile's Unlimited plan. Just the 2G only speed compatibility worries me.

tried putting my wife's ATT sim in my streak and instantly got the same sms from ATT saying "quit using this unauthorized device". LAME.

Guest parcsalooc
tried putting my wife's ATT sim in my streak and instantly got the same sms from ATT saying "quit using this unauthorized device". LAME.

I have had 2 messages that have popped up on my phone, stating an unauthorized device. Regardless of this, I am still using my Streak w/ full data and phone capability on AT&T! Weird!!

Guest foxfire235
I have had 2 messages that have popped up on my phone, stating an unauthorized device. Regardless of this, I am still using my Streak w/ full data and phone capability on AT&T! Weird!!

Just out of curiosity, what plans (voice / data) are you using? APN?

I put my sim back in this past Saturday and I got the text message about unauthorized device within 10 minutes. Well since i heard the news about the dell finally coming to At&t, I put my sim back in. So far so good but it's only been about 15 minutes

Guest foxfire235
I put my sim back in this past Saturday and I got the text message about unauthorized device within 10 minutes. Well since i heard the news about the dell finally coming to At&t, I put my sim back in. So far so good but it's only been about 15 minutes

I may do the same. Let us know asap if you get suspended.

Guest parcsalooc
Just out of curiosity, what plans (voice / data) are you using? APN?

I am on the unlimited data/texts w/ 400min voice deal that I was grandfathered in 5 years ago. Another possibility is that my wife joined my plan but we got it switched around to her name and is a Wachovia/Wells Fargo employee. So we get discounted rates under the business employee deal. Don't know if that has anything to do w/ not being suspended.

Guest BigPrince
so far it's still good. it's been an hour. i hope it doesn't get suspended again.

Tried putting my AT&T sim back in and got the unapproved device text within minutes. I don't seem to be suspended but I give up. AT&T can go fly a kite. They've lost a customer over this. I'm selling both my streak and iPhones. Dell has lost a customer as well.

Edited by BigPrince