Skyfire

Guest PaulOBrien

skyfire1.pngskyfire2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Skyfire

What they say

Skyfire Browser makes the web richer, smarter & more fun!

• Only browser to play MILLIONS of Flash videos
• Supported sites increases regularly
• Choose Mobile/Desktop browser view
• Explore related content
• FroYo/Flash support in browser

Notes

• DroidX support soon!

• Browser does not support Flash-Apps

What we say

Skyfire is unique - rather than rendering websites on your device, websites are rendered on a remote server, running what is effectively a full copy of Firefox. What this means is what is rendered on your device - flash and all - looks just like it does on a desktop. This is particularly useful on older devices that don't support any Flash for video playback. For me personally, I don't use Skyfire as my main browser, but there are times when I want to view a website that just won't render properly in any other browser and that's where Skyfire fits in. It's always worth keeping installed!

Permissions

ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION / ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION / ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE / ACCESS_WIFI_STATE / INTERNET / READ_LOGS / READ_PHONE_STATE / SET_PREFERRED_APPLICATIONS / WAKE_LOCK / com.android.browser.permission.READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS / com.android.browser.permission.WRITE_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS / com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT

Download

View Skyfire at AppBrain

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

skyfire.qrcode.png

Price

FREE

Market star rating at time of writing

3.84 (12390 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

Other alternative browsers I recommend include Opera Mini which also has a server side compression element, Dolphin Browser HD and xScope (which are conventional browsers).

Suggested improvements for the next version

The look is now a lot better than it was before for high resolution devices, but the buttons etc. are still imho larger than they need to be. The overall 'polish' could still be improved.

Have your say

Fan of Skyfire? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :)

Not a fan of Skyfire, can't forward or rewind flash videos, laggy slow browser especially when switchin tabs and zooming, force closes constantly, and knows everything your doing check out the terms.

• 2 weeks later...