Why the TouchWiz hate?

Guest seraphine

Guest seraphine

I find TouchWiz to be fine as a launcher, I just wish there was one feature -- alphabetical grid (where I don't have to rearrange the icons manually).

What's with all the hate? I find it to be just as fast as any other launcher out there, and it provides extra functionality for Samsung's stuff (like mounting etc.)

Is there something I'm missing here? I feel like I should hate it too, but that I've somehow avoided all the bugs or something...

Guest DistortedLoop
I find TouchWiz to be fine as a launcher, I just wish there was one feature -- alphabetical grid (where I don't have to rearrange the icons manually).

What's with all the hate? I find it to be just as fast as any other launcher out there, and it provides extra functionality for Samsung's stuff (like mounting etc.)

Is there something I'm missing here? I feel like I should hate it too, but that I've somehow avoided all the bugs or something...

LOL, you should love or hate it based on your tastes, not any of ours!

I don't care for it because it is too iPhone-like for my tastes. Other than that, I have no particular bone to pick with it, I just prefer the more Android Vanilla/Cyanogen look and feel of ADW.Launcher.

The only real negative I've heard performance wise with TW is the Daily Briefing widget seems to be one of the causes of lag on the phone when not hacked.

Guest seraphine

Actually yes I hate the iPhone-esque nature of it as well. But it gets the job done, and integrates well with all else.

Daily briefing -- once I unticked all the modules, and was left only with calendar it definitely stopped lagging at all. Then I removed the widget and all is well.

LOL, you should love or hate it based on your tastes, not any of ours!

I don't care for it because it is too iPhone-like for my tastes. Other than that, I have no particular bone to pick with it, I just prefer the more Android Vanilla/Cyanogen look and feel of ADW.Launcher.

The only real negative I've heard performance wise with TW is the Daily Briefing widget seems to be one of the causes of lag on the phone when not hacked.

Guest Andrew Luecke

I dunno. I think it's because there are simply better options (such as LauncherPro). Perhaps older versions were quite sucky. You also need to remember that some people are sheep. People diss for the same reason why some OSX users run around screaming "Windows BSOD's 10x a day", Linux users will run around in circles screaming how everyone should open source their code (despite the fact the vast majority of them only ever touch their own project's code), and Windows users believe OSX has a fisher-price-like interface.

Give Touchwiz a try, but you'll probably find there are better options these days. But don't believe everything you hear, because for some ridiculous reason, many users seem to fight for technologies.

Well, I know it is not probably what you want, but if you switch to list view in TouchWiz you will have all applications listed in alphabetical order. For me, what I don't like it, is that if you have 3 or 4 pages of shortcuts to application you have to remember where the shortcut is for application you want. Going back to Omnia 2, the first rom versions have pages that you could assign the name to and put the shortcuts that you want - this way you could group you programs depending on the function like games, music etc. Then Samsung changed it to the same setup that we got in Galaxy S.

At least with WM, if you didn't like TouchWiz, you could create folders in Start Menu (give them any names you want, games, music etc) and put shortcuts in those folders.

Android is hopeless with that - there is no such thing as part of the OS.

Edited by wes58

Guest seraphine

Well you can rearrange them into different pages by category yourself... Or create folders on the desktop?

Well, I know it is not probably what you want, but if you switch to list view in TouchWiz you will have all applications listed in alphabetical order. For me, what I don't like it, is that if you have 3 or 4 pages of shortcuts to application you have to remember where the shortcut is for application you want. Going back to Omnia 2, the first rom versions have pages that you could assign the name to and put the shortcuts that you want - this way you could group you programs depending on the function like games, music etc. Then Samsung changed it to the same setup that we got in Galaxy S.

At least with WM, if you didn't like TouchWiz, you could create folders in Start Menu (give them any names you want, games, music etc) and put shortcuts in those folders.

Guest AndyCr15
I think hate is too strong a word. There are simply better alternatives out there :)

I agree. I even prefer Launcher Pro over Sense UI these days. The ability to have the 3 scrolling docks along the bottom is awesome.

Guest us1111

You can make maps on the homescreen.. Sounds like the same functionality you want. You can make a game map, internet map, etc,etc.. Android is like that!

Guest Brantyr

I think it's badness is a little exaggerated but it does have problems.

- Homescreen defaults to far left page instead of the centre, this is bad because I should be able to swipe either way for quick access to twice as many screens!

- Shortcuts down the bottom are too big

- Background colour blocks behind icons is silly and midnlessly iphone derivative.

Mainly I just prefer the look and what I can do with ADW launcher though.

Guest aeo087

I'm actually very jealous of the Captivate/Vibrant owners, their version of TouchWiz seems to perform better and has more features. I was at an AT&T store last week and found the following differences between the Captivate TW and i9000 TW:

1. They have 3 views for the app drawer: Alphabetical grid, custom grid, and list view.

2. Their facebook/twitter widget is blue! (instead of that hideous pink...).

3. The main homescreen is the center homescreen! (as it should be!)

4. It seems to perform better: with all the Samsung widgets active, scrolling was still smooth (mine stutters at times even with the latest lag fix...)

Hopefully we get an upgraded TW for the i9000 with the upcoming firmware update.

I agree that TW is a nice launcher: the custom drawer, easy homescreen reorg, and iPhone-like uninstall are great features that I wish LauncherPro and Google adopt in the future. If it wasn't for the occasional stutter and laggy widgets, I'd be using TW instead of LP. If we get a better version of TW in the upcoming firmwares, I'll switch back :D

Edited by aeo087

Guest DistortedLoop
I agree that TW is a nice launcher: the custom drawer, easy homescreen reorg, and iPhone-like uninstall are great features that I wish LauncherPro and Google adopt in the future. If it wasn't for the occasional stutter and laggy widgets, I'd be using TW instead of LP. If we get a better version of TW in the upcoming firmwares, I'll switch back :D

Have you tried ADW.Launcher?

Guest miker71

I've kind of grown to like the simplicity of TW, I'm on JP3 and other than the known bugs things are generally behaving themselves. What I absolutely do detest though is the stock wallpapers, yack!

Guest aeo087
Have you tried ADW.Launcher?

Of course, that is a great alternative as well. ADW performs great but I find LP and TW better looking, I have all three installed though... (I get bored and actually change quite often between them, especially when I want to show iPhone users Android's versatile UI ;-)

• 2 weeks later...