Dell Streak 2.1 screens and first thoughts

Guest worley

Guest courtlandre
Anyone noticed battery life reduced in 2.1? My streaks barely lasting a day now, if that.. disabled everything that might be sucking battery to no aval and the "whats using my battery" doesnt really give me any insights :-/

Maybe you are just using it more? Live wallpapers are killer but I assume you turned that off. Also keep in mind this was not meant as a final release so it may have problems. My cheeky solution is to plug it in more ;p

Guest Asphytxtc
Maybe you are just using it more? Live wallpapers are killer but I assume you turned that off. Also keep in mind this was not meant as a final release so it may have problems. My cheeky solution is to plug it in more ;p

Oh yeah, ive used it more for sure :D still not enough to justify the battery loss im seeing. I think youre probably right about it being a dev release, godknows what debug features will be enabled and consuming battery right now.

I just wanted to see whether i was the only one, or if its something everyones experiencing?

Guest Asphytxtc

Ah may have something here, looking at whats running i can see com.android.bluetooth and system_server pegging the cpu at near 100% between them constanly. May explain it, bluetooth was off though... ill wait to see if battery life improves now ive killed off bluetooth.

Goddam this keyboard sucks, its so slow and unresponsive!

Guest courtlandre
Ah may have something here, looking at whats running i can see com.android.bluetooth and system_server pegging the cpu at near 100% between them constanly. May explain it, bluetooth was off though... ill wait to see if battery life improves now ive killed off bluetooth.

Try smart keyboard, its multitouch.

I completely disagree. The 2.1 update feels smoother and faster as well as benching faster.

Dito.

Mostly I love that you can charge in airplane mode now, at last.

I love the new gallery and unlock screen, but would prefer the support of the hardware key unlock.

At last H icon for reception, this is a must have imo!

I wouldn't agree on a heavier battery drain. It's as always.

Would love to have 5 different wallpapers again. :D

But it's still very beta, the german version contains some english phrases...

I would NEVER ever use a backup from 1.6 to 2.1

Totally different FW versions. No wonder there are so much problems reported, sometimes the problem isn't the system/device!

Edited by zwmg

Guest drewesq

I done the update and all good except PC sync doesn't work, understandable, and market doesn't download.

The pc sync wasn't an issue as you can export your contacts from windows to vcard format and import it into your contacts on streak.

I have tried everything however to get the market to download stuff again, but no joy. I have cleared the cache on market and all google stuff, tried data link and wifi still no joy.

I would really like to hear from anyone that has solved this problem.

Everything else is fantastic though!

Cheers!

Guest Asphytxtc

Well after an hour or so off charge it does seem like it was com.android.bluetooth draining all the battery, load is far down since i killed it. It restarted itself straight away but this time it seems to be playing nice and not pegging the cpu anymore :-)

Guest gingernator
Google Earth works! Couldn't find it on the market, but had the apk hanging around for an age. Looks positively awesome on the Streak :-)

Google Earth seems like the unsung hero of this update, it's so smooth and seems destined to be used of the Streak's screen!

Thanks for pointing this out.

:D

Guest craigdabbs

ive had the same problem with com.android.bluetooth eating all the cpu untill killing it. Not sure as i dont have bluetooth enabled :D

Guest worley
Google Earth seems like the unsung hero of this update, it's so smooth and seems destined to be used of the Streak's screen!

Thanks for pointing this out.

:D

I can't seem to find Google Earth where did you guys get it from?

Guest element332

how about browser....on 1.6 when you pushed on the second tab from left it opend a window when you were able to switch between open windows....now on 2.1 it just shows recent apps....i hope this will be changed when we will get the final build...

Edited by element332

Guest gingernator
I can't seem to find Google Earth where did you guys get it from?

Do a google search for 'droidlife google earth' for a link for the .apk

The signal is certainly much stronger now. At work i had no HSDPA, only 2G, but since the update i now have 3 bars and can use it to tether, which was the idea of buying it!