Be careful with tweetdeck! over use of data

Guest Rhysd2

Guest Rhysd2

After installing tweetdeck on my phone I let it run for about a day and a half. However after that short time I noticed my battery was suffering quite badly. So I took a look around my stats and also noticed that in that short time the program had used no less than 74mb of data!!! I rang my colleague who also installed it and he found it had used 100mb. And a fair bit of battery.

He has a nexus one I have a milestone. We went sniffing around their forums and found a few other users complaining of the same issue. So we've uninstalled for now. We've posted something up on their forum but as of yet no reply. Needless to say that sort of data usage is unacceptable. Especially when alot of carriers are getting rid of unlimited plans.

Guest Rhysd2

I like certain aspects of it. IE my buzz facebook and twitter all in once place. However the beta wont do everything the desktop client will yet(ie seperate facebook feed). I still liked the program though and it has a lot of scope for the future. But the 2nd I saw the data spike it got uninstalled.

Several other users on their forums are reporting similar issues. And those of us here at work that use it have all had the same issue.

Guest totriz

I uninstalled it 1 day after installation.

Left my phone around 80% charged at night, and in the morning it was at 20% with tweetdeck using the most battery and downloading 50+MB of data.

I have a 200MB data plan so i'm quite pissed that I have less than 40MB available for the remaining days in august. I guess that's the price to pay for trying beta software.

Edited by totriz

Guest b_baxter
It seems to pull from twitter every 2 minutes for me.

Not keen on how much it updates, but mainly due to not being able to set notification type, I.e. if I let it notify me if tweets I can't turn the damn led off! So constant flashing!

Otherwise i really like it, but yes, needs a poll time setting.

Guest skinnypupp

Since you guys are obviously all part of the pre-beta testing group, why not report the bug the way you're supposed to instead of complaining on a forum :D

how are we part of the pre-beta testing group?

This is the beta from their website, and we are posting on the thread I linked to.

and we aren't complaining because we actually like the app we are trying to see if this is an isolated problem which at the moment turns out not to be the case.

thanks for your helpful comment though! :D

Guest Rhysd2
Since you guys are obviously all part of the pre-beta testing group, why not report the bug the way you're supposed to instead of complaining on a forum :D

We arent pre beta. The beta came out for everyone last week. We signed up like alot of other people. FYI if you'd bothered to read the thread you'd see Bewa linked to the official forum where we HAVE made our official complaint. This thread it to warn others so they dont over shoot their data plan.

Guest Rhysd2
A problem for sure but remember that it's still in beta!

I've yet to see another beta that does something as drastic as using almost 1/5 of my data limit for the month in under 2 days

I believe you can using Spare Parts although i can't remember if that's on stock rom's as its been so long since i was on a stock unrooted rom!

however to monitor my overall usage I have a program called 3G watchdog installed.

Guest Iain51

Cheers guys. Have downloaded 3G Watchdog - looks good. I had wondered whether you had a monitoring app that split it out by program in the same way that the battery monitor does. but I guess it's just a case of you knowing what you'd normally use, and then seeing the increase after Tweetdeck was installed.

Edit - having re-read the replies I have now downloaded Spare Parts and am off for a rummage! :D

Edited by Iain51

Guest Conrad Oldcorn

Hi there,

I'm Conrad and I work for TweetDeck. We are looking into the over-use of data and are preparing a build where there should be significant data-use reduction. Hopefully we can get this out today, stay tuned to either myself on Twitter or @tweetdeck.

Conrad

Edited by Conrad Oldcorn