speed boost and battery boost as well

Guest fards

Thanks fards,

Still Really slow 0_o quadrant benchmark of 314!!!

Do you have any record of the default settings? thanks

there's something else wrong then.. check what processes are running, don't think these tweaks could slow it down

default settings are in one of my posts.

but if you do a blank sysctl.conf it will reset them to defaults.

Guest spences10
FWIW i've now dropped back to the stock for these

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 600000

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 400000

which are

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 4000000

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 10000000

and quadrant is completing with runs of upto 820 depending on what's running.

I may experiment with different values to see if it makes any difference. .

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 6000000

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 2000000

makes no difference to benchmarks, but quadrant at least runs so I guess is a "safe" minimum

there's something else wrong then.. check what processes are running, don't think these tweaks could slow it down

default settings are in one of my posts.

but if you do a blank sysctl.conf it will reset them to defaults.

Ok I changed to the defaults you found here,

quadrant is having a moment and is stuck on Audio decoding - AAC atm but i think this may help. Do you think you could update the OP?

Thanks

I Will post quadrant score after a reboot.

Ok I changed to the defaults you found here,

quadrant is having a moment and is stuck on Audio decoding - AAC atm but i think this may help. Do you think you could update the OP?

Thanks

I Will post quadrant score after a reboot.

I don't need to update the OP.. the defaults are reset if you either delete the sysctl.conf or leave it blank.

the article I linked to says that,

I don't think the problems you're having are anything to do with this tweak.

if quadrant isn't playing on the stock settings then there's something else causing it..

sysctl -a will give you a readout of what you have set..

Guest spences10
I don't need to update the OP.. the defaults are reset if you either delete the sysctl.conf or leave it blank.

the article I linked to says that,

I don't think the problems you're having are anything to do with this tweak.

if quadrant isn't playing on the stock settings then there's something else causing it..

sysctl -a will give you a readout of what you have set..

Ahhh, ok

Thanks again fards i'm so noob

Guest davehod
The ns you tried are the stock.. :P

oops, that was from an earlier test.

Actually using your last suggestion for ns:

Fair amount of usage on the phone today including sat nav, battery at 70% after 12hours

Guest davehod
Thanks fards,

Still Really slow 0_o quadrant benchmark of 314!!!

Do you have any record of the default settings? thanks

I got a really laggy response and Quadrant score in the 300's one time and bizzarely it dissapeared right after I disabled keyguard - can't see why this would be related though. Quadrant itself seems to have an adverse effect on the phone when I run it - messes with the orientation sensor requiring a reeboot.

On the 8105 build a reboot will restore stock settings even if sysctl.conf is present (I have to run sysctl -p from a terminal emulator to re-enable sysctl.conf settings)

oops, that was from an earlier test.

Actually using your last suggestion for ns:

Fair amount of usage on the phone today including sat nav, battery at 70% after 12hours

nice :)

want some more Ive been testing ? :P

I got a really laggy response and Quadrant score in the 300's one time and bizzarely it dissapeared right after I disabled keyguard - can't see why this would be related though. Quadrant itself seems to have an adverse effect on the phone when I run it - messes with the orientation sensor requiring a reeboot.

On the 8105 build a reboot will restore stock settings even if sysctl.conf is present (I have to run sysctl -p from a terminal emulator to re-enable sysctl.conf settings)

yeah you're right. bugger I hadn't noticed as I've been changing the settings so often.

now we need to make it survive the reset

Guest davehod
yeah you're right. bugger I hadn't noticed as I've been changing the settings so often.

now we need to make it survive the reset

There's an app called Autostart in the marke that runs the contents of /data/opt/autostart.sh.

Haven't tried it yet...

Guest spences10

Oh right, so i have to re-enable this each reboot with "sysctl -p" ahh

Thanks

Guest spences10
There's an app called Autostart in the marke that runs the contents of /data/opt/autostart.sh.

Haven't tried it yet...

Just installed Autostart added the /opt/autostart.sh will add the script into the file and see what happens...

Just installed Autostart added the /opt/autostart.sh will add the script into the file and see what happens...

I tried it, no joy - asks for su permissions on first reboot but doesn't appear to call the script (even when this is given execute permissions).

May be missing something so let us know how you get on.

I tried it, no joy - asks for su permissions on first reboot but doesn't appear to call the script (even when this is given execute permissions).

Update.

I noticed a file called run_autorun_test.sh in the /system/bin dir - sticking sysctl -p in this does the trick on reboot.

This is on an 8105 build, dunno if this is present/called on other builds.

Also I'm assuming it's only called once on boot - will check later.

Given that changes to init.rc are overwritten on boot I think this is rather handy!

Update.

I noticed a file called run_autorun_test.sh in the /system/bin dir - sticking sysctl -p in this does the trick on reboot.

This is on an 8105 build, dunno if this is present/called on other builds.

Also I'm assuming it's only called once on boot - will check later.

Given that changes to init.rc are overwritten on boot I think this is rather handy!

LOL I was replying to your earlier post to say I wonder if it's worth trying that one, when I refreshed the page and read you've already done it: )

As that file works I guess it would be as easy to use sysctl -w for each one, rather than call the sysctl.conf, but I suppose that's messy

Edited by fards

Guest spences10

I now seem to have two sysctl files if I delete one of them in root explorer the other one is then empty.

I set su permissions with auto run but thought your other suggestion was better so went with that.

I now seem to have two sysctl files if I delete one of them in root explorer the other one is then empty.

I set su permissions with auto run but thought your other suggestion was better so went with that.

If by empty you mean gone then maybe ones a symlink. If you mean zero bytes I haven't a clue what's going on.

Which dirs were they in?

On another note, the wrong calls in the autorun file could freeze the phone up during boot.

I'm assuming that adb, (which I haven't used up to now), could be used to delete or mod the file and do a clean reboot - can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Excellent!

I've gotten consistent 18% gains across the board verified using Linpak, Benchmark and Quadrant to test with your last recommended settings.

Now keep an eye on your battery usage...

7 hours 38% battery gone : )

Fairly heavy usage...

Dave you can use adb in recovery, so it should be feasible to recover a cock up

Jnovello if you don't have sysctl in busybox. Then it isn't going to work.

Use the latest busy box installer from market, you must be root and you must call su.

You're not trying to do this via adb but adb shell!

Edited by fards

Now keep an eye on your battery usage...

7 hours 38% battery gone : )

Fairly heavy usage...

Dave you can use adb in recovery, so it should be feasible to recover a cock up

Jnovello if you don't have sysctl in busybox. Then it isn't going to work.

Use the latest busy box installer from market, you must be root and you must call su.

You're not trying to do this via adb but adb shell!

Thanks fards.

Just discovered that busybox_1P8P1 also has the sysctl command in it - this is in both 8501 and 6941 builds and I'd guess earlier ones.

So, if this file is present, the command:

busybox_1P8P1 sysctl -p

should work without the need to install busybox.

Guest mmmputch

Could you please post a step by step guide to get this working. Do I just open a terminal and type the commands in the first post or is there anything else I need to do? Thanks

Could you please post a step by step guide to get this working. Do I just open a terminal and type the commands in the first post or is there anything else I need to do? Thanks

Read the first post, follow the instructions, change the values to the ones I suggested.

If it works for you then put sysctl -p in /system/bin/run_autorun_test.sh (if it exists)

fwiw :

I wonder if sysctl -p doesn't appear permanent as the ns values are set to default in init.rc on each boot...

I haven't tried commenting then out or changing them yet, but wonder if we could just add the extra lines to init.rc

Edited by fards

Guest spences10
If by empty you mean gone then maybe ones a symlink. If you mean zero bytes I haven't a clue what's going on.

Which dirs were they in?

On another note, the wrong calls in the autorun file could freeze the phone up during boot.

I'm assuming that adb, (which I haven't used up to now), could be used to delete or mod the file and do a clean reboot - can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Im' using root explorer, there are two files in /system/etc/ called sysctl.conf both with the same text in them:

kernel.shed_features = 24188

kernel.shed_tatency_ns = 6000000

kernel.shed_min_granularity_ns = 2000000

kernel.shed_child_runs_first=1

One size 138 the other 408??