Slingplayer

Guest PaulOBrien

slingplayer1.pngslingplayer2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Slingplayer

What they say

Watch and control anything you can see on your home TV and DVR on your Android phone! A Slingbox SOLO, PRO, or PRO-HD (Slingboxes sold separately) is required. The Slingbox Classic, AV, and TUNER are not supported for use with SlingPlayer Mobile on Android, although they may work with some configurations.

What we say

First of all, let me say that I very much disagree with the pricing model of this application. After buying the Slingbox hardware, I feel $29.99 is too much for the mobile companion app.

That said, I'm including the app in App of the Day because it's SO good, SO useful and because there is currently 20% off all Sling products at Amazon today with coupon 'SLINGB2O', including the Slingbox Solo which comes in at £85 - http://amzn.to/bnYmK5.

So, why is it so good? There are a lot of streaming video solutions that you can run on Android, but what I love about Slingplayer is it's MY content. Not only can I view all the channels from my Sky box in my living room, I can even use a virtual remote to play / pause / view shows I have recorded on the box. Nothing else offers that and it's invaluable!

Permissions

ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE / ACCESS_WIFI_STATE / INTERNET / RAISED_THREAD_PRIORITY / READ_PHONE_STATE / WAKE_LOCK / WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Download

View at AppBrain

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

slingplayer.qrcode.png

Price

$29.99

Market star rating at time of writing

4.53 (1308 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

n/a

Suggested improvements for the next version

Drop the price! :lol:

Have your say

Fan of Slingplayer? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :)