Using rs232 on the Pulse

Guest Tom G

Guest BigBearMDC
If you use wire as small as I did I think it would fit between the bits of shielding. How much room is there between the shielding and the plastic? With small enough wire you could probably run it straight over the shielding and still get it back together.

I used 30awg kynar wire (0.25mm).

The Atmel USB dev boards I ordered weeks ago finally turned up today. After reading a little about them it sounds like as well as being useful for PS3 hacks, they can also be useful for interfacing with devices through JTAG. Maybe we can get JTAG going as well. I know very little about JTAG, so I doubt I will get it working.

There is absolutely no space left between the housing and the RF shielding =/ I'll see what we have in school. The smallest wires I have are 1mm², and that's definitely too large :)

I mainly use PICs and even an 32bit ARM processor for a project in school. I think JTAG needs more connections than RS232, so connecting them via the headphone jack won't be possible. Connecting them directly, like you did it with RS232, should work though, once *you* find out which pads to use. The other connections are pretty sure not only there to waste space ... :lol:

Best regards,

BB

Guest eckengucker1

You could just use a bare wire like this one: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/605573/...T-04-MM/2510140 but you'll have to lacquer the wire.

The smallest one I've here is only 0,4 mm² and easy to braze.

If there isn't enough room for the soldering iron you can use some silver conductive paste ("Silberleitpaste") and use it like glue.

Hope it helps you a bit :lol:

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest BigBearMDC
You could just use a bare wire like this one: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/605573/...T-04-MM/2510140 but you'll have to lacquer the wire.

The smallest one I've here is only 0,4 mm² and easy to braze.

If there isn't enough room for the soldering iron you can use some silver conductive paste ("Silberleitpaste") and use it like glue.

Hope it helps you a bit :)

I think I'll be able to get a .25mm² wire in school tomorrow, and soldering shouldn't be a problem either as we have many SMD soldering ions (and even a BGA mounting machine - although that wouldn't help much) :lol: Thanks anyway!

Best regards,

BB

1. You could wire the battery to it, but if you connect the usb with no battery in it will power the phone from usb. I'm running mine off USB.

2. The voltages on the pulse are actually 2.6V. I didn't check the voltages on my adapter, but I assume they will be 3.3V. I think your adapter should be fine.

It's weird but mine powers from usb in fastboot mode only. In normal mode it falls into endless reboot cycle. Could you try to connect to your pulse via RS232 in fastboot mode? Does it work?

I couldn't connect in fastboot with a tool "picocom" (i don't like minicom):

# picocom -b9600 -fn -pn -d8 /dev/ttyUSB0

picocom v1.4

port is		: /dev/ttyUSB0

flowcontrol	: none

baudrate is	: 9600

parity is	  : none

databits are   : 8

escape is	  : C-a

noinit is	  : no

noreset is	 : no

nolock is	  : no

send_cmd is	: ascii_xfr -s -v -l10

receive_cmd is : rz -vv

Terminal ready

Doesn't work for me. Adapter is ok, serial port settings seem to be right... Echo symbols appear while a phone is off (tx and rx short cut) and disappears when I switch it on.

Edited by R_A_V

Guest BigBearMDC
It's weird but mine powers from usb in fastboot mode only. In normal mode it falls into endless reboot cycle. Could you try to connect to your pulse via RS232 in fastboot mode? Does it work?

I couldn't connect in fastboot with a tool "picocom" (i don't like minicom):

# picocom -b9600 -fn -pn -d8 /dev/ttyUSB0
picocom v1.4

port is : /dev/ttyUSB0
flowcontrol : none
baudrate is : 9600
parity is : none
databits are : 8
escape is : C-a
noinit is : no
noreset is : no
nolock is : no
send_cmd is : ascii_xfr -s -v -l10
receive_cmd is : rz -vv

Terminal ready[/code]

Doesn't work for me. Adapter is ok, serial port settings seem to be right... Echo symbols appear while a phone is off (tx and rx short cut) and disappears when I switch it on.

Why don't you use puTTy or HyperTerminal? I think you don't need any extra software in Linux.

Best regards,

BB

Why don't you use puTTy or HyperTerminal? I think you don't need any extra software in Linux.

Best regards,

BB

I tried it first of all. Doesn't work as well. But wasn't sure USB-adapters driver works correctly under windows. Under linux adapter proven to be working.

Guest BigBearMDC
I tried it first of all. Doesn't work as well. But wasn't sure USB-adapters driver works correctly under windows. Under linux adapter proven to be working.

I'm even using my self-written HyperTerminal (C#) with the FT232RL and it works perfectly :lol:

Best regards,

BB

I think you could have a short. I think pin 5 is reset (either that or something really bad). I was getting reboots from shorting 4 and 5 when I was testing the voltages with a multimeter.

I don't get anything from the bootloader/fastboot.

The software used should make no difference.

Does it run ok powered from usb without the rs232 connected?

Does it run ok powered from usb without the rs232 connected?

Hmm.. Hard to say :lol: It does perfectly in fastboot mode but holds a bit and reboots in normal mode. It's a usb-port issue I think.

Hmm.. Hard to say :lol: It does perfectly in fastboot mode but holds a bit and reboots in normal mode. It's a usb-port issue I think.

If its the usb power causing the problem just runs some wires from the battery to phone. Make sure the battery is well charged.

Guest craigb244

try connecting it to something else (standard charger if your not) running it from a computer might not be supplying it with the power it needs.

fastboot might only need low power, guessing cpu load will be very low, but once it the phone is loading drivers and such the cpu load will go up requiring more power then the usb can supply

Guest overkill23

Hi, can anyone confirm if the QPST 2.7 (Qualcomm soft for low level mods) works ok with the rs232 connection? I can't get it to work, even opening a virtual machine for virtual Com port :lol:

Guest BigBearMDC

Hey guys, I successfully connected the 2 PADs and the headphone jack :) But I noticed some weird things ...

First, if you open up your Pulse and look at the headphone jack you will see 3 connections on each side. The first one (on the top of the PCB) is GND. The two PINs under GND are connected, so you'll have to solder the two wires on both sides of the headphone jack. If you take the first or the second one does not make any difference. By the way, if you don't have flux you'll have to scratch off the lacquer of the PADs. Once they were soldered I checked the connections using a normal multimeter. There everything was fine. I reassembled my phone and tested the connectivity with the headphone cable plugged in. And then one thing happened: On the first contact I measured 120 Ohm, on the other contact the resistance was so high that my 10€ multimeter couldn't display it anymore :(

I pulled the cable off and checked the connection through the headphone jack directly and everything was fine. Furthermore I checked the cable itself and even there everything was fine :lol:

My friend told me that 120 Ohm is the standard resistance for an earphone's jack. But why do I have such an enormous resistance on the other connection? I haven't yet tested it with the FT232RL, once I have I will let you know what happened.

Best regards,

BB

Guest cleguevara
Hey guys, I successfully connected the 2 PADs and the headphone jack B) But I noticed some weird things ...

First, if you open up your Pulse and look at the headphone jack you will see 3 connections on each side. The first one (on the top of the PCB) is GND. The two PINs under GND are connected, so you'll have to solder the two wires on both sides of the headphone jack. If you take the first or the second one does not make any difference. By the way, if you don't have flux you'll have to scratch off the lacquer of the PADs. Once they were soldered I checked the connections using a normal multimeter. There everything was fine. I reassembled my phone and tested the connectivity with the headphone cable plugged in. And then one thing happened: On the first contact I measured 120 Ohm, on the other contact the resistance was so high that my 10€ multimeter couldn't display it anymore B)

I pulled the cable off and checked the connection through the headphone jack directly and everything was fine. Furthermore I checked the cable itself and even there everything was fine :lol:

My friend told me that 120 Ohm is the standard resistance for an earphone's jack. But why do I have such an enormous resistance on the other connection? I haven't yet tested it with the FT232RL, once I have I will let you know what happened.

Best regards,

BB

Could it be related to the Mic-input?

Don't put a sim card in the phone while the rs232 is connect.

I've been trying to figure out why my Pulse has been rebooting as soon as Android starts. Either my phone is stuffed, or have a sim card in while the FT232R is connected makes it crash. All versions of android appear to do it.

The phone is stable if I boot it without the sim, or if I boot it without android (just linux). I think ril + rs232 = crash.

I've also found that nandroid restore doesn't work without a battery.

Edited by Tom G

Guest martinbrook

Hi there,

What Android alternate are you playing with?

I've been playing with MeeGo, http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/MSMQSD

Great work by the way on this.

vgrade

Don't put a sim card in the phone while the rs232 is connect.

I've been trying to figure out why my Pulse has been rebooting as soon as Android starts. Either my phone is stuffed, or have a sim card in while the FT232R is connected makes it crash. All versions of android appear to do it.

The phone is stable if I boot it without the sim, or if I boot it without android (just linux). I think ril + rs232 = crash.

I've also found that nandroid restore doesn't work without a battery.

Hi there,

What Android alternate are you playing with?

I've been playing with MeeGo, http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/MSMQSD

Great work by the way on this.

vgrade

Nothing like that, although I have thought about trying to get an alternative going off sd card. With the 2.6.32 kernel I have been playing with it crashes if all of the android services start, so I have an init that I'm running off recovery that starts very little. That way I can gradually start things and work through the problems. So far I'm not making any progress on the kernel.

Couldn't make it work even with battery. I think the problem is my adapter. I'm using KQ-U8A WT048000317 data cable (analog of DCA510, based on ARK3116 chipset):

KQ-U8A_510.jpg

KQ-U8A_510_PP_f.jpg

KQ-U8A_510_PP_b.jpg

I unsuccessfully tried with wired battery and even with another pulse. No symbols or noise on the PCs console, looks like open circuit between rx and tx when phone is on and shortcut when off.

Adapter is fully working, I used it to unlock Telefonica ADSL modem.

Should I try another adapter or any other ideas?

Has anyone tried this with the 2.1 firmware?

I've finally updated to the 2.1 firmware. The phone hung at the restarting bit of the update. I powered it off and now it boot loops. I can't get anything out of the rs232 and it looks like it reboots at the same point it did with a sim in it. There is nothing useful in dmesg/kmsg. The last lines before the reboot are

<6>[1193, Playback Thread] [   14.766069] snd_set_device 6 1 1

<6>[1192, ApmCommandThrea] [   14.775244] snd_set_volume 29 0 7

<6>[1238, BootAnimation] [   25.484099] hw3d_open: pid 1232 tid 1238 opening client node

<4>[1238, BootAnimation] [   25.485331] remapping device 3b3

<6>[1221, Binder Thread #] [   25.515984] hw3d_open: pid 1216 tid 1221 opening master node

<4>[1231, er.ServerThread] [   32.394404] vibrator_enable 

<6>[1192, ApmCommandThrea] [   34.225948] snd_set_volume 29 0 6

<4>[1231, er.ServerThread] [   34.849196] vibrator_enable 

<4>[1290, Thread-36] [   34.857406] vibrator_enable 

<4>[1290, Thread-36] [   34.890799] vibrator_enable

The problem with the sim was exactly the same. I think it is the rs232 combined with the new firmware causing the problem. I will try removing the FT232R tomorrow and see if it boots.

Has anyone tried this with the 2.1 firmware?

I've finally updated to the 2.1 firmware. The phone hung at the restarting bit of the update. I powered it off and now it boot loops. I can't get anything out of the rs232 and it looks like it reboots at the same point it did with a sim in it. There is nothing useful in dmesg/kmsg. The last lines before the reboot are

<6>[1193, Playback Thread] [   14.766069] snd_set_device 6 1 1

<6>[1192, ApmCommandThrea] [   14.775244] snd_set_volume 29 0 7

<6>[1238, BootAnimation] [   25.484099] hw3d_open: pid 1232 tid 1238 opening client node

<4>[1238, BootAnimation] [   25.485331] remapping device 3b3

<6>[1221, Binder Thread #] [   25.515984] hw3d_open: pid 1216 tid 1221 opening master node

<4>[1231, er.ServerThread] [   32.394404] vibrator_enable 

<6>[1192, ApmCommandThrea] [   34.225948] snd_set_volume 29 0 6

<4>[1231, er.ServerThread] [   34.849196] vibrator_enable 

<4>[1290, Thread-36] [   34.857406] vibrator_enable 

<4>[1290, Thread-36] [   34.890799] vibrator_enable

The problem with the sim was exactly the same. I think it is the rs232 combined with the new firmware causing the problem. I will try removing the FT232R tomorrow and see if it boots.

I started trying with 2.1 and got reboots as well. Mine reboots with plugged USB. I tried to connect a battery with wires and got reboots too.

I thought about trying with 1.5 but it useless for me if I can't do it with 2.1 because if I have to choose between rooted Cupcake and not rooted Eclair I will choose Eclair :-)

Edited by R_A_V

I removed the FT232R and still had the same problem. Put the battery in and then it boots fine. It looks like the 2.1 firmware won't boot without a battery and the problem is not related to the rs232. I will re-solder the rs232 lster and try with the battery wired to it.

It would run recovery fine, so it is something to do with starting the android environment that caused the reboot.

I got the same results on the T-Mo UK official rom and my froyo test rom.

Edited by Tom G

I will re-solder the rs232 lster and try with the battery wired to it.

Have you tried that? Still reboots?

Could you please try to connect rs232 in fastboot mode (with 2.1 rom)? Does it work for you?

Could you measure voltages on RX and TX? Are they different with 1.5 rom?

Thanks.