Stock N1 2.2.1 with Root

Guest inhuman

Guest inhuman

Ok so Ive been real happy so far with Stock n1 and universal androot. I love the root apps.

Now that the update is out (2.2.1. frg83) I wanted to update and still have root access on stock. I was not able to update because i had deleted stock apps like amazon, twitter, etc with titanium.

I had to flash a stock rom and then update to 2.2.1 worked, BUT no root access.

I even unlocked the bootloader to see if that would give me instant root but it didnt.

How can i go about getting root access on my n1 with 2.2.1. ? I want to run a stock rom and use rooted apps like titanium. Also to get future updates like gingerbread OTA.

I Don't want a custom rom like cyanogen. Just stock 2.2.1. with root access.

whats the easiest way to achieve this?

I tried installing amon ra, and it still wouldnt give me root access, couldnt install superuser,busybox ect.

please help.

Ok so Ive been real happy so far with Stock n1 and universal androot. I love the root apps.

[...]

I had to flash a stock rom and then update to 2.2.1 worked, BUT no root access.

I even unlocked the bootloader to see if that would give me instant root but it didnt.

Why would that give you root access? It simply unlocks the phone to allow installation of non-Google ROMs. Otherwise they would probably have named it "unlock root access" instead of "unlock bootloader". :)

How can i go about getting root access on my n1 with 2.2.1. ? I want to run a stock rom and use rooted apps like titanium. Also to get future updates like gingerbread OTA.

I Don't want a custom rom like cyanogen. Just stock 2.2.1. with root access.

whats the easiest way to achieve this?

If you have a stock ROM on a still locked phone, you need to exploit a bug to gain root access (AndRoot does exactly that, AFAIK). The only current exploit I know of is rageagainstthecage. However, the procedure is a bit complex. And since I don't know what Google's update script checks for, I cannot say for certain that this modification will still allow you to apply OTA updates.

I tried installing amon ra, and it still wouldnt give me root access, couldnt install superuser,busybox ect.

Again, why would the recovery image give you root access? It basically offers you a recovery environment, which you can use to make a complete backup of your phone and apply update.zip packages, as well as other maintenance options. It does not change your installed ROM. However, as you can use it to apply update.zips to your ROM, you could apply one that changes the installed system to give you root (adding /bin/su, busybox, things like that). Unfortunately, I do not know of a ready-made update.zip to achieve this.

I can really recommend one of Paul's repacks. You can install them on the phone through your custom recovery (AmonRA). It offers you a mostly stock ROM with root access and even support for the very cool Trackball Alert. You cannot update it with OTA updates, though.

It usually takes Paul only a few days after a new official ROM comes out to release his repacks. IMO, it is worth the wait and less hassle than you have had now.

HTH,

lcg