Guide to Upgrading and Downgrading the Streak

Guest homeiss

Guest homeiss

To write this I have basically pulled together all of the most pertinent information about upgrading and downgrading the streak into one big guide. Enjoy!

I would like to thank everyone who wrote guides that helped me with upgrading and downgrading my Streak.

If you are just getting started with the Streak, please read the What you need to know about the Dell Streak guide. Amongst other things this guide will show you how to set up fastboot and how to use it, which is essential for these guides. It's very easy to follow and has pictures! :) (Thanks Radddogg!)

READ EVERYTHING VERY CAREFULLY! THE GUIDES AND ALL FILES BELOW ARE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Make sure you have over 80% battery life before you do these guides!

Table of Contents

• Starting from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601)
  • Starting from O2 1.6 (build 4399)
  • Upgrading from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to Stephen Hyde's 2.2
  • Downgrade from Stephen Hyde's 2.2 to O2 2.1 (build 8105) & Downgrade from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to O2 1.6 (build 4399) then to AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) with Baseband Downgrade

You do not need to root your streak to upgrade to O2 2.1 so if that's you just skip to the Upgrading from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) to O2 2.1 (build 8105) section. If you are not planing on upgrading but would like root access, you will need to unlock the Unknown Sources setting first.

Unlock Unknown Sources:
    1. Open the phone dialer and type: *#*#307#*#* (the screen will flash and seem like nothing happened)
    2. Go to the app drawer, you will now see EMList, open it (if it doesn't show up try a reboot).
    3. Scrool down and select app_security
    4. Select update unknown resource property to enable it
    Go back to home screen and go Menu > Settings > Applications > then select Unknown Sources. To remove the EMList application, go back into the dialer and type: *#*#308#*#* After a reboot the EMList icon will be gone from your app drawer.

Gaining root access:

1. Download Universal Androot and install it.
    2. Open it up and select Superuser for Android 1.5/1.6 in the drop down menu.
    3. Tap on Go Root, after a few seconds it will tell you it was successful. If it fails the first time tap it again and it should work.
    With the Universal Androot app you can unroot at any time by opening the app up and selecting the Undo Root button.

Upgrading from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) to O2 2.1 (build 8105)

To go from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) we need to go to O2 1.6 (build 4399) and then upgrade to O2 2.1 (build 8105).

1. Download the stock recovery ROM from the first post in this thread and the official Dell ROM from here.
    2. Rename the Dell ROM Update.pkg and copy it to the root of your microsd.
    3. Put the recovery image you downloaded into the same folder as the fastboot.exe.
    4. Turn off the Streak and put it in fastboot mode by holding down the camera shutter button then press and hold the power button until a white screen comes up.
    5. Tap on the Fastboot button in the top right corner.
    6. You will see Wait for USB Fastboot detect, wait 10 seconds and then plug in the usb cable from the computer.
    7. The screen will then change to say Fastboot_Mode. In windows go to Start > Run... > type: cmd and hit enter.
    8. Now navagate to the fastboot.exe file with the cd command.
    9. When you get there type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.stock.img
    10. When it says Download RECOVERY Done! on the Streak pull the battery and remove the usb cable.
    11. Put the battery back in and hold the volume up and down buttons down while pressing the power button, it will boot into recovery menu.
    12. Select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.
    13. The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 1.6 (build 4399).
    Now your AT&T Streak is on the same build and version of Android as the original UK O2 Streak. If you've made it this far upgrading to 2.1 is a piece of cake.

[*]Download the O2 2.1 (build 8105) file in this post.

[*]Rename the file to Update.pkg and copy it over the old file in the root of your microsd.

[*]Turn of the Streak.

[*]Hold the volume up and down buttons down while pressing the power button, it will boot back into recovery. Be patient it will take a while.

[*]Select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.

[*]The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 2.1 (build 8105).

You can use Universal Androot to gain root like above only select Superuser for Android 2.0 ~ 2.2. It will say it failed but if you do it again it will work.

Original sources: here & here

Edited by homeiss

Guest homeiss

Starting from O2 1.6 (build 4399)

Gaining root access:

If you would like root access on the Stock O2 1.6, go into Menu > Settings > Applications > then select Unknown Sources. Apply Universal Androot just like the AT&T 1.6 users above.

Upgrading from O2 1.6 (build 4399) to O2 2.1 (build 8105)

1. Download the O2 2.1 (build 8105) file and the Stock recovery (build 4399) file in this post.
  2. Rename update-8105-21.pkg to Update.pkg and copy it to the root of your microsd.
  3. Move the stock recovery image you downloaded into the same folder as the fastboot.exe.
  4. Turn off the Streak and put it in fastboot mode by holding down the camera shutter button then press and hold the power button until a white screen comes up.
  5. Tap on the Fastboot button in the top right corner.
  6. You will see Wait for USB Fastboot detect, wait 10 seconds and then plug in the usb cable from the computer.
  7. The screen will then change to say Fastboot_Mode. In windows go to Start > Run... > type: cmd and hit enter.
  8. Now navagate to the fastboot.exe file with the cd command. Fastboot should be in the "tools" folder in the Android SDK you downloaded.
  9. When you get there type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img
  10. When it says Download RECOVERY Done! on the Streak pull the battery and remove the usb cable.
  11. Put the battery back in and hold the volume up and down buttons down while pressing the power button, it will boot into recovery menu.
  12. Select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.
  13. The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 2.1 (build 8105).
Edited by homeiss

Guest homeiss

Upgrading from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to Stephen Hyde's 2.2

1. download Stephen Hyde's 2.2 update zip from here.
  2. Rename update-new.zip to update.zip and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
  3. Download recovery.alt.zip from here.
  4. Move the recovery image into the same folder as the fastboot.exe.
  5. Put your Streak into fastboot mode.
  6. Open up command line type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.alt.img
  7. Hold down both the volume buttons and type: fastboot -i 0x413c reboot in command line.
  8. In recovery select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. In the ClockworkMod recovery menu select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card and then Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip. Once it's all done select reboot system now.
  9. To enable data go Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks and check off the Data enabled button. Then select Access Point Names and manually add the apn info for your carrier.
  10. You should be all set up and ready to go with Froyo!
If you want to gain root use Universal Androot (download information seen above).

If you don't like the new screen density you can change it whenever you like by going into the /system folder and editing the build.prop file. Just change the line ro.sf.lcd_density=140 to ro.sf.lcd_density=160 to go back to default (changes will take effect after a reboot).

NOTE: There is a problem with the market where certain apps will not show up and to my knowledge we still don't have a fix for this.

Edited by homeiss

Guest homeiss

Downgrade from Stephen Hyde's 2.2 to O2 2.1 (build 8105)

1. Download the O2 2.1 (build 8105) file in this post.
  2. Rename the file to Update.pkg and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
  3. Download this zip file which contains a recovery for downgrading here.
  4. Move the recovery.img file to wherever your fastboot.exe is.
  6. Open up command line type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.stock.new.img
  7. Hold down both the volume buttons and type: fastboot -i 0x413c reboot in command line.
  8. In recovery select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.
  9. The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 2.1 (build 8105).
Downgrade from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to O2 1.6 (build 4399) then to AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) with Baseband Downgrade

First we must downgrade back to O2 1.6 (build 4399).

1. Under the heading ROM downloads (pkg format) download the Build 4399 ROM pkg from here.
  2. Rename the file to Update.pkg and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
  3. Download this zip file which contains a recovery for downgrading here.
  4. Move the recovery.img file to wherever your fastboot.exe is.
  6. Open up command line type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.stock.new.img
  8. In recovery select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.
  9. The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 1.6 (build 4399).
If you just wanted to revert to O2 1.6 (build 4399) then you are done. If you are going to AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) we have to change the system so it will upgrade the the AT&T ROM.
  1. Download the official AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) ROM from here.
  2. Rename the file to Update.pkg and copy it over the old file in the root of your SD Card.
  3. Download this boot.img file from here and place it in your fastboot.exe folder.
  4. Download this file and unzip it. Take the three files out and put them on the root of your SD Card.
  5. Use Universal Androot (download information seen above) to gain root so you can use Root Explorer to copy files to the phones internal storage in the next step.
  6. Use Root Explorer from the market to then mount the /system partition with r/w permissions. The first time you run Root Explorer it will ask for superuser permissions, click Allow and then copy recovery-from-boot.p from /sdcard to /system, copy install-recovery.sh from /sdcard to /system/etc, and copy applypatch from /sdcard to /system/bin
  7. Put your Streak into fastboot mode.
  8. From command line type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash boot boot.img
  9. Then type: fastboot -i 0x413c reboot
  10. Once it has booted fully into the Android OS shut it down and go into recovery mode.
  11. In recovery select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.
  12. The Streak will reboot and you are now on AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) with the Stock Baseband.
Original source: here Edited by homeiss

Guest toyfreak

Thanks, homeiss and other contributors for the nOOb-friendly guide. I've modded WinMo and iOS devices and thanks to you all my Streak is next. Cheers!

Guest GriZlore

Hi, looks a great post, I'll try later... However...

I am on the leaked O2 2.1, which is build 6941 (i think a lot of people are)

Should I follow the above, where applicable or do I need anything else.

Thanks

Guest kostaver

Hi all!!

Wonderful and exhaustive guide, but, one simple question: you say "Starting from O2 1.6 (build 4399)", but what if I'm on an unlocked-direct-from-Dell (baseband ending in 00- EU) 1.6, build 4399, version??

Cheers!!

@homeiss: I am so grateful to you for this. I was getting dizzy following every post, every problem and every suggested solution. My hope was that, once the dust had settled, a clear guide would be forthcoming and this is it.

Like many others I am on 2.1 O2 build 6941, sorry to trouble you but just to avoid confusion, could you include reference to this in your guide. Is it possible to Edit?

Guest GriZlore
........Like many others I am on 2.1 O2 build 6941, sorry to trouble you but just to avoid confusion, could you include reference to this in your guide. Is it possible to Edit?

+1

Can we proceed if we are on leaked 2.1 O2 build 6941 ?

Guest homeiss
Hi, looks a great post, I'll try later... However...

I am on the leaked O2 2.1, which is build 6941 (i think a lot of people are)

Should I follow the above, where applicable or do I need anything else.

Thanks

@homeiss: I am so grateful to you for this. I was getting dizzy following every post, every problem and every suggested solution. My hope was that, once the dust had settled, a clear guide would be forthcoming and this is it.

Like many others I am on 2.1 O2 build 6941, sorry to trouble you but just to avoid confusion, could you include reference to this in your guide. Is it possible to Edit?

Hi GriZlore and rebski, I have an AT&T streak personally. I don't know first hand but I don't see why you couldn't use the O2 4399 to O2 8105 guide. You should be able to use a stock recovery to to flash from 6941 straight to 8105, but we won't know until someone reports it here. So if anyone has done it or does do it, let me know and I will update guide.

Hi all!!

Wonderful and exhaustive guide, but, one simple question: you say "Starting from O2 1.6 (build 4399)", but what if I'm on an unlocked-direct-from-Dell (baseband ending in 00- EU) 1.6, build 4399, version??

Cheers!!

Hi kostaver, I think you can use the O2 4399 to 02 8105 guide but, it WILL change your baseband from 00 to 21 if it works. I don't know of anyway to get back to the 00 baseband. If someone finds the EU 4399 Update.pkg it should also flash the 00 baseband.

If someone has any insight into this one, let us know please. Thanks!

Guest Shurafa

Download the build.txt file from this post, rename it to build.prop and copy it to the root of your SD Card. (The link takes you to the main news page and there is no mention of this file).

Edit. Found the build.txt file here: http://android.modaco.com/content-page/319...eased/page/200/ half way down the page post #202 by Stephen Hyde. (talk about a needle in a haystack).

Also what does this file do exactly?

======

Finally what is this part for? #15 Now type: cd data/dalvik-cache then type: rm -r *

I am getting terminal error cant cd to data/dalvik-cache

Edited by Shurafa

Guest toyfreak

Feeling very nOObish here... I have followed the instructions exactly and I can't get past this:

E:No signature (972 files)

E:Verification failed

Updating Dell US AT&T 1.6 to 02 1.6... BTW used Universal Androot and phone shows as rooted when I re-run it.

Thanks in advance, wizards. EDIT: BTW yes, I did search... Found a few examples but no solution. Please don't crucify me if I missed something obvious.

EDIT2: I figured it out. I downloaded the stock 02 1.6 from the link in Radddogg's guide and it worked fine. Now on to 2.1, then 2.2.

Edited by toyfreak

Guest homeiss
Download the build.txt file from this post, rename it to build.prop and copy it to the root of your SD Card. (The link takes you to the main news page and there is no mention of this file).

Edit. Found the build.txt file here: http://android.modaco.com/content-page/319...eased/page/200/ half way down the page post #202 by Stephen Hyde. (talk about a needle in a haystack).

======

Finally what is this part for? #15 Now type: cd data/dalvik-cache then type: rm -r *

Hi Shurafa, Stephen has released version two today, so you actually don't need to do any of that. I have edited my post to reflect the changes. If the update file you downloaded was named update-v2.zip then forget about doing that stuff. If you got the old update-new.zip file then just copy the new one to your SD Card and flash it overtop (you will lose all your userdata in the upgrade).

Feeling very nOObish here... I have followed the instructions exactly and I can't get past this:

E:No signature (972 files)

E:Verification failed

Updating Dell US AT&T 1.6 to 02 1.6... BTW used Universal Androot and phone shows as rooted when I re-run it.

Thanks in advance, wizards. EDIT: BTW yes, I did search... Found a few examples but no solution. Please don't crucify me if I missed something obvious.

EDIT2: I figured it out. I downloaded the stock 02 1.6 from the link in Radddogg's guide and it worked fine. Now on to 2.1, then 2.2.

Hey toyfreak, sorry about that. I have updated the links in that section. Thanks for pointing this out and glad you got back on track. :)

Guest Us3Less

======

Changelog

Updated boot.img with less debugging services and hopefully should fix battery issues

Updated GPS.conf with edited version provided by users andycap and fards (see page 30) - original file is in /system/etc named gps.conf.backup

Removed couple of other apps that dont work (calibrator and packagechecker)

added my newest version of build.prop

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he has updated his latest build.prop in the latest version ..... anyone can confirm or do we still need 2 dl the old file and patch it again ? Coz i found the lcd 2 b running on 140 now , b4 tat was on 160 , the patch turn it into 140

Guest toyfreak
Hi Shurafa, Stephen has released version two today, so you actually don't need to do any of that. I have edited my post to reflect the changes. If the update file you downloaded was named update-v2.zip then forget about doing that stuff. If you got the old update-new.zip file then just copy the new one to your SD Card and flash it overtop (you will lose all your userdata in the upgrade).

Hey toyfreak, sorry about that. I have updated the links in that section. Thanks for pointing this out and glad you got back on track. :)

Froyo up and running smoothly on my Streak! Stupendous work, developers. Donation forthcoming and my sincere thanks.

Edited by toyfreak

Guest homeiss
Changelog

Updated boot.img with less debugging services and hopefully should fix battery issues

Updated GPS.conf with edited version provided by users andycap and fards (see page 30) - original file is in /system/etc named gps.conf.backup

Removed couple of other apps that dont work (calibrator and packagechecker)

added my newest version of build.prop

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he has updated his latest build.prop in the latest version ..... anyone can confirm or do we still need 2 dl the old file and patch it again ? Coz i found the lcd 2 b running on 140 now , b4 tat was on 160 , the patch turn it into 140

That is correct Us3less, I updated my guide earlier today to reflect the new changes. So the build.prop is already in the new version. :)

Guest epuarlana

hey folks! thank you very much for the great thread!

May I ask you to describe what to do, if I have a european-version of the streak (00-device) with 1.6? (just to complete the options you offer :))

thank you very much!!!

Guest homeiss
hey folks! thank you very much for the great thread!

May I ask you to describe what to do, if I have a european-version of the streak (00-device) with 1.6? (just to complete the options you offer :))

thank you very much!!!

I don't know the answer to this. I wrote this guide from personal experience and from other guides on forums. I am guessing that you will be able to follow the O2 1.6 4399 to O2 2.1 8105 guide. If it does work though, you will change change from the 00 baseband to the 21 baseband. I don't know of anyways to get back to the 00 baseband either. So try at your own risk. If you make it from the european version to the O2 2.1 then let me know and I will update the guide.

Guest kostaver
I don't know the answer to this. I wrote this guide from personal experience and from other guides on forums. I am guessing that you will be able to follow the O2 1.6 4399 to O2 2.1 8105 guide. If it does work though, you will change change from the 00 baseband to the 21 baseband. I don't know of anyways to get back to the 00 baseband either. So try at your own risk. If you make it from the european version to the O2 2.1 then let me know and I will update the guide.

Hi Homeiss,

one final question then: changing baseband (from 00 to 21, for instance) what does it mean in practical terms?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Kostaver

Edited by kostaver