HTC Hero GSM: Unable to boot into recovery mode

Guest rage767

Guest rage767

Hi guys,

I own a HTC Hero loaded with Android 1.5. For some reason, I cannot find the 'update software' option within 'settings->about phone'. So I can't apply the OTA update to 2.1 from HTC.

Hence, I am installing MoDaCo's 2.1 ROM :) The bootloader works fine.

But, when I follow the steps to load a CRI, I am unable to boot into recovery mode. Kindly help me out on this! The HTC Support guys haven't been helpful too :)

Thanks!!

Manoj

Guest Lordsmiff

So just to clarify, have you already installed the custom bootloader...?

If so, I sometimes have problems getting into the bootloader from a reboot so just power off your phone then hold down the home when you power it up and keep it held down until you get in the bootloader...should be there then :)

Cheers,

Smiffy.

Edited by Lordsmiff

Guest rage767
So just to clarify, have you already installed the custom bootloader...?

If so, I sometimes have problems getting into the bootloader from a reboot so just power off your phone then hold down the home when you power it up and keep it held down until you get in the bootloader...should be there then :)

Cheers,

Smiffy.

After spending like 7 hours tinkering around I managed to install a custom recovery image and hence installed the 2.1 ROM :)

My bootloader worked fine, it was just that the 'usb fastboot' didn't function well on windows. Luckily I had a Mac, on which I ran adb and manually installed the recovery. Once I managed to install Amon_RA's CRI, there was no turning back =) next step, a brand new Modaco 2.1 ROM

Phewww..

Thanks mate!

Guest Lordsmiff

2.1? Pah...2.2's where it's at now :)

I know I'm evangelising a bit about this ROM but it really is every day usable and worth checking out....it has no SenseUI though so bear that in mind...personally, I prefer the vanilla look as it's a little less cluttered, less bling and more xen!?!?

Whatever it is, I like it cos it looks cleaner and more subtle and less cluttered.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=724637

Just to reiterate, I am nothing to do with the development of this ROM, I just really like it - I use on my main phone and have had no trouble with it.

Cheers,

Smiffy,

Guest rage767

Yea, I've seen the 2.2 ROMs and the discussion on it, but I'm sticking to the tried and tested :)

This is 'cause I need a completely functional OS to work on a project of mine. And as I'm still new to the Android world, I'm taking it 1 step at a time until I get a hang of it! But yea, I'll give 2.2 a try sometime. Thanks for the link!

Cheers,

Man