SLCD Full ROMs?

Guest Jayuph

I was unlucky enough to end up with an SLCD version of the Nexus One. That means a lot of the hacking tools out there don't work so well for me. In the process of trying to get to the point that I could install the recovery tools, I ended up flashing a stock ROM image that is apparently only for the OLED version because I have a black screen.

Since, I never got as far as getting the recovery tools installed to make my own full backup, is there any chance I can find stock backups designed for the SLCD version? I'd even consider commercial options for repair if anyone knows of anything.

Fastboot is still working for me. I think I will need system, recovery and userdata images.

FYI, anyone out there that has an SLCD Nexus One. I think you need to use the Alpha version of the Amon Ra Recovery (1.8 or greater) if you want to be able to back up. Also, as far as I can tell, you will lose the ability to go back to stock recovery if something goes wrong. All the images for going back to stock that I have found so far give a black screen on the SLCD.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--

Jeff

Guest crawler9

Hey Jeff.

Have you tried the latest version of Amon Ra's recovery image? Version 1.8.0.1 is said to support the SLCD version of the N1. Also, on a completely unrelated topic for my own curiosity, what hboot version do you have?

Cheers!

crawler9

Sent from my Nexus.

Edit: Sorry, it seems I flew through your message way too fast. Anyway, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to revert to the stock recovery easily again. Just obtain a stock ROM that has the newer bootloader and place it on your SD card named passimg.zip and reboot while holding down the volume-down button. If your bootloader is unlocked, you can simply use fastboot to flash the images. I'd recommend this if your HBOOT version is anything besides 0.35.0017 as that version doesn't play nice with cyanogenmod 6 stable. You'll need the stock images for build FRG33. I'd still like to know what HBOOT version you have. I think you probably have 0.35.0017, but I could be wrong.

Edited by crawler9

Hey Jeff.

Have you tried the latest version of Amon Ra's recovery image? Version 1.8.0.1 is said to support the SLCD version of the N1. Also, on a completely unrelated topic for my own curiosity, what hboot version do you have?

<snip>

Sadly, I read about v1.8 supporting SLCD after I did the stupid thing of flashing to an older, non-SLCD N1 ROM. (I did so thinking that Amon Ra Recovery was failing due to a version incompatibility and did this before I even figured out I had the new screen.)

Presumably, I could now install v.1.8 but I don't think that gains me anything unless I can also find a working system ROM.

Is HBOOT version affected by reflashing boot? I did reflash boot so...if that doesn't have an effect, I'm at HBOOT-0.35.0017. Otherwise, I didn't write it down what the version # was originally. Oh, BTW HBOOT renders fine on my screen. Just recovery and the main OS don't show up.

Thanks,

Jeff

Guest crawler9

Immediately prior to your response, I was editing my post with instructions. If your bootloader is unlocked, you could just fastboot flash the amon ra recovery image. Otherwise, or if you want complete stock, you can use the passimg method with build FRG33 it takes a bit of work to get root from there if you're bootloader-locked though.

Cheers!

crawler9

Sent from my Nexus.

Edit: one more thing. Any Nexus One custom ROM would be fine for your Nexus, I think. Unless I'm mistaken, r ecovery is the only thing that won't work without a special SLCD version.

Edited by crawler9

Immediately prior to your response, I was editing my post with instructions. If your bootloader is unlocked, you could just fastboot flash the amon ra recovery image. Otherwise, or if you want complete stock, you can use the passimg method with build FRG33 it takes a bit of work to get root from there if you're bootloader-locked though.

Cheers!

crawler9

Sent from my Nexus.

Edit: one more thing. Any Nexus One custom ROM would be fine for your Nexus, I think. Unless I'm mistaken, r ecovery is the only thing that won't work without a special SLCD version.

crawler9,

Thank you. I was able to recover the N1! Quick question, is the userData image/partition literally just for the user's data or does it contain any of the Apps? Any concerns about version incompatibilities related to userData?

-------------------------------

Here are the boring details that might help someone else in a similar situation. I recovered by using "fastboot flash boot boot.img" to flash FRG83 from here (my bootloader is unlocked): http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...ooted-deodexed/ (I used the recommended modded version).

I'll probably switch to something else, but this gets me back up and running at least!

Also, I now have a working Amon Ra Recovery with 1.9 by following this (see section "suitable for SLCD Nexus users that lost the ability to see their screen"): http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index...Recovery_Images

Guest crawler9
crawler9,

Thank you. I was able to recover the N1! Quick question, is the userData image/partition literally just for the user's data or does it contain any of the Apps? Any concerns about version incompatibilities related to userData?

I'm not really sure about this. I know the /data partition includes apps, app data, your phone book, and anything you choose to install yourself. When someone makes their own custom ROMs, they can store apps on the system partition or the data partition. There wouldn't be incompatibilities with this. Now... the part I'm not sure about is whether userdata represents just a small part of the data partition, or if they are one and the same. My best educated guess would say they are one and the same.

Cheers!

crawler9

Guest ianst28

i had the same problem and until i found amonra's new recovery i had given up on rooting my nexus

the only rom i have found to work is cyanogen's all the others including the desire one from here just seem to hang on boot

i'm hoping that it is just the slcd screen thing and that someone cooks a fix for some of the roms out there (wont be me i have no clue)

I ended up having trouble with the modded FRG83 ROM (lost WiFi and USB mass media mode). However, FRG33 completely stock (w/ radio updates) worked for me. http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...ooted-deodexed/

I also was able to do the over the air update. So that got me back to completely stock so I can finally have a solid nandroid backup.

--

Jeff

i had the same problem and until i found amonra's new recovery i had given up on rooting my nexus

the only rom i have found to work is cyanogen's all the others including the desire one from here just seem to hang on boot

i'm hoping that it is just the slcd screen thing and that someone cooks a fix for some of the roms out there (wont be me i have no clue)

Before I screwed up, I had managed to get root on FRG83 and I think I got busybox installed correctly too. But it would definitely be nice if the all-in-one ROMs would work with the SLCD phones. Thanks for the pointer on cyanogen.

--

Jeff