Whats the next phone Paul will get excited about?

Guest irwige

With the releases of MoDaCo roms for the desire getting thinnner and thinner its becoming quite obvious Paul is losing interest in the Desire. he has done some great things with this handset but the time is coming when he will soon abandon it all together. What phone do you think will capture Pauls imagination next? Will it be the Desire HD, or perhaps something else even more grand down the line?

The reason i ask is that it will heavily influence which handset i get down the line knowing that Paul will be cooking up roms and tweaks for the device.

Does the Desire HD offer much over the Desire that it will pull Paul away from the Desire Vanilla for good?

Just a thought.

irwige.

Guest radiogaurav

ahhh..i hope he doesn't quit the desire just yet. i got the phone about a week back and got the add free subscription to this site just a couple of days ago--hoping of course that my year's worth of subscription gets me at least a few more desire releases!

it'd be a pity if he leaves us with just r9 or even r10 and I'm forced to look elsewhere!

Guest Elbereth

He is for a couple of weeks already very active (rooting, MCR, etc..) for the San Francisco (ZTE Blade). Which I would really like to buy here in Belgium for my wife. It looks like an amazing phone for the low price.

Edited by Elbereth

Guest David_P

Paul has already stated that he is NOT giving up on the Desire. He is working to pull in the new base and even some of the desire HD features to future Desire ROMs.

He is one guy working to provide root and roms and more for a large number of devices from a number of manufacturers, to provide reviews, to attend events and keep ahead of the game in a fast paced marketplace. He is doing his best and will continue to work on the desire until he specifically says otherwise.

He is very good at stating what he is and is not going to work on, just a look at his signature will tell you this.

He has been busy this week with Windows Phone 7 and yes, he is working hard and fast on ZTE blade at present just because this is such a jewel in the android space for being as incredibly well featured at the price point.

BUT HE WILL BE BACK!

Don't despair and give the guy a break :-)

Just my tuppenceworth

David P

Guest BashyUK
With the releases of MoDaCo roms for the desire getting thinnner and thinner its becoming quite obvious Paul is losing interest in the Desire. he has done some great things with this handset but the time is coming when he will soon abandon it all together. What phone do you think will capture Pauls imagination next? Will it be the Desire HD, or perhaps something else even more grand down the line?

The reason i ask is that it will heavily influence which handset i get down the line knowing that Paul will be cooking up roms and tweaks for the device.

Does the Desire HD offer much over the Desire that it will pull Paul away from the Desire Vanilla for good?

Just a thought.

irwige.

To me it's a bit of a non-question. I think you're looking at it the wrong way round, you can't predict what device someone WILL make customisations for, it's about what's possible and out there NOW, it's why i got my Desire in July because there's sht loads available for it that will keep me occupied for the next couple of yrs, it's not like you HAVE to change ROMS every day. When you come to your next phone, whichever one has the most available for it I'd get not what looks like it MIGHT have available then they find there's not much you can do with it. Or you're waiting ages for something to happen with it.

And the main point, regardless of the above, is that the Desire HASN'T been abandoned..have you seen what's available at XDA?! This site is particular to one ROM, (well technically not true there's at least two other ROMs in this forum that have been put up recently by Alex-V and Noonski).

I'd advise you to appreciate what is out now rather than look at it for 5 seconds and get bored.

Edited by BashyUK

Guest Mushhushshu
Paul has already stated that he is NOT giving up on the Desire. He is working to pull in the new base and even some of the desire HD features to future Desire ROMs.

He is one guy working to provide root and roms and more for a large number of devices from a number of manufacturers, to provide reviews, to attend events and keep ahead of the game in a fast paced marketplace. He is doing his best and will continue to work on the desire until he specifically says otherwise.

He is very good at stating what he is and is not going to work on, just a look at his signature will tell you this.

He has been busy this week with Windows Phone 7 and yes, he is working hard and fast on ZTE blade at present just because this is such a jewel in the android space for being as incredibly well featured at the price point.

BUT HE WILL BE BACK!

Don't despair and give the guy a break :-)

Just my tuppenceworth

David P

^^ Agree with what he said. Paul pops into the r9 thread every few days to let us know he hasn't forgotten us =p I think because he spent quite a bit of time on r8/r9 and updated them very frequently people think that this is always the way it will be. Unfortunately for us Paul has a lot of other devices to open up & play with, so it makes sense he can't devote all his time just to the desire.

For my 2 cents I'd say take your time Paul, I look forward to an update as much as the next man but I've more than had my moneys worth from the last few desire roms.

Guest xTc is loVe

HTC Hero get updates sometimes from Paul.

So why should he left the Desire so fast?

Edit: All Sense ROM´s have less changes in there Changelog! Paul has done enough he will put updates if he think it necesary!

Edited by xTc is loVe

Guest snapilica

I think that for the coming weeks or months Windows Phone 7 will be the main attraction here on MoDaCo and over at XDA. Let's not forget that WinMo is the reason these forums even exist.

Guest Subject Delta

Paul does modding and hacking work for a lot of different operating systems and handsets, it's wrong to expect him to focus on the Desire alone. It is a shame that it's been a while since out last update but I am sure it will be worth waiting for, as when Paul does do his roms he does them right.

Guest shokka9
1) With the releases of MoDaCo roms for the desire getting thinnner and thinner its becoming quite obvious Paul is losing interest in the Desire. he has done some great things with this handset but the time is coming when he will soon abandon it all together. What phone do you think will capture Pauls imagination next? Will it be the Desire HD, or perhaps something else even more grand down the line?

2) The reason i ask is that it will heavily influence which handset i get down the line knowing that Paul will be cooking up roms and tweaks for the device.

3) Does the Desire HD offer much over the Desire that it will pull Paul away from the Desire Vanilla for good?

4) Just a thought.

irwige.

1) There hasn't been much to release in terms of newness of anything actually (except HD & Z - which Paul is working on).

2) Paul has been doing this for years, he will NEVER dedicate all his time to one device, when i device is released, Paul will get it, root it, make a ROM and then update that for the forseeable future. This is the life of a 'dev'

3) Paul will release whatever he wants whenever he wants. It is his choice, this is his website.

4) Best kept confined to ones own head rather than questioning a man that spends literally all of his life and money giving to a community that questions his morals and choices constantly.

Please leave Paul alone to get on with what he does.

Not many people probably say this enough, but thanks Paul!

Guest fredaroony
ahhh..i hope he doesn't quit the desire just yet. i got the phone about a week back and got the add free subscription to this site just a couple of days ago--hoping of course that my year's worth of subscription gets me at least a few more desire releases!

it'd be a pity if he leaves us with just r9 or even r10 and I'm forced to look elsewhere!

Well it appears he has already quit the Desire so you just wasted your money just like many others have including myself.

Well it appears he has already quit the Desire so you just wasted your money just like many others have including myself.

You're hardly the one to talk with eight posts. So I guess that you're talking and backing up your claims via a legitimate source. And you are not just talking out of your arse?

Paul always announced when he quit a project so give him some time to recover and don't act like a spoiled child when you don't receive a new rom every few days.

Sorry to be so harsh but this had to be said for all the winners out there.

Edited by bpivk

Guest fredaroony
You're hardly the one to talk with eight posts. So I guess that you're talking and backing up your claims via a legitimate source. And you are not just talking out of your arse?

Paul always announced when he quit a project so give him some time to recover and don't act like a spoiled child when you don't receive a new rom every few days.

Sorry to be so harsh but this had to be said for all the winners out there.

What does it matter how many posts I have??? Doesnt make my opinion any less valid than another user with more.

Guest tetris15
What does it matter how many posts I have??? Doesnt make my opinion any less valid than another user with more.

With the latest r9 you still get a thousand extra features and fixes, which will perfectly work even if he won't release anything til 3.0 comes...

I am using r8 myself because its working flawlessly and I dont think I will change it for any smaller updates or fixes in newer rom releases, will wait for 3.0...

Guest FatherD
1) There hasn't been much to release in terms of newness of anything actually (except HD & Z - which Paul is working on).

2) Paul has been doing this for years, he will NEVER dedicate all his time to one device, when i device is released, Paul will get it, root it, make a ROM and then update that for the forseeable future. This is the life of a 'dev'

3) Paul will release whatever he wants whenever he wants. It is his choice, this is his website.

4) Best kept confined to ones own head rather than questioning a man that spends literally all of his life and money giving to a community that questions his morals and choices constantly.

Please leave Paul alone to get on with what he does.

Not many people probably say this enough, but thanks Paul!

+1

I don't know Paul ... but I feel it is entirely up to him which handsets he works on at which time. I would like to say thanks to Paul, as i would not have enjoyed owning, hacking and modding my Desire without his excellent efforts. I do hope he gets his mojo on with the DesireHD as i am ebaying my Desire as I type, to bung towards my HD fund :)

Guest fredaroony
With the latest r9 you still get a thousand extra features and fixes, which will perfectly work even if he won't release anything til 3.0 comes...

I am using r8 myself because its working flawlessly and I dont think I will change it for any smaller updates or fixes in newer rom releases, will wait for 3.0...

Thats how you feel though while others may have paid the ad-free donation because of his promises of "frequent" updates only to find out its not true. I dont blame them for feeling ripped off.

People in this forum also need to think of the people that only recently bought a Desire and have not used his ROMs in the past.

Guest fredaroony
+1

I don't know Paul ... but I feel it is entirely up to him which handsets he works on at which time. I would like to say thanks to Paul, as i would not have enjoyed owning, hacking and modding my Desire without his excellent efforts. I do hope he gets his mojo on with the DesireHD as i am ebaying my Desire as I type, to bung towards my HD fund :)

Then he needs to say that upfront instead of making statements of frequent updates etc then dropping off the scene...

Then he needs to say that upfront instead of making statements of frequent updates etc then dropping off the scene...

I'm pretty open in fairness about what i'm doing and have posted in lots of places that I have a limited amount of time to work on a lot of stuff.

I don't recall promising frequent updates to anything!

P

+1

Well, what I was working on yesterday was a one click temproot for the G2 / Z, which also should work for the HD.

P

Guest fredaroony
I'm pretty open in fairness about what i'm doing and have posted in lots of places that I have a limited amount of time to work on a lot of stuff.

I don't recall promising frequent updates to anything!

P

Quote:

"This topic is for the WIP (work in progress) r9 release of my Desire ROM.

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared.

The latest general release version, r8, is available in this topic."

Quote:

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared.

And time permitted they are updated frequently, but one person can not work on many different projects at the same time. You have to accept that Paul does not just work on this device but a fair few others.

From what has been said in other threads what he is working on at the moment will help new features be ported to the desire, just calm down for a second and remember if it wasn't for Paul you may well have not even been able to root your desire and install custom ROMs

Guest Elbereth
Quote:

That's no promise, that's a statement, which was true until he just started working on something else. And I am happy if he works on something he likes. Can be very refreshing to work on other topics and it can give new ideas. :)

As he said, you need frequent updates? You are not happy with r9? Give a shoot to the dozens of other roms on XDA. You might like them, or not. You can even come back to MCR when a new version is available. :) That's the beauty of it.

Personnaly I am happy with latest MCR r9 WIP (just missing that /data/local boot animation but I am too lazy to fix it myself).

Guest shokka9

When will people stop complaining that they paid xx amount to become ad-free or whatever?

You are supposed to be part of a community, and being that means you support whoever whenever and stay onside.

Paul never made you do anything, he is clear in his work ethic.

If you cant wait for one of his updates, go learn to cook and make your own builds. If i was Paul, i would remove all these threads, give refunds to the people that moan, then find out where they live and say hello, then simply punch in the face.

Ungrateful is not even close. It annoys the faeces out of me that people complain when they have so much. There are people that don't even log in to the site that are more grateful than these types of people.