New HD2 T-Mobile owner here, after my Omnia was stolen. Smooth ride so far, the phone is awesome!! Since there's no point in listing all the things that make this phone great, let's go to the bad ones.
1. Mediocre call quality - yes, this pisses me off. This is a phone to make calls, first and foremost. I'm not talking about signal bars, as that can be easily manipulated through software, but actual call sound. Regardless of my location, it sounds like s***, breaking up, etc. My brother's cheap ass Nokia (on the same carrier, same location, same family plan) works every time. Reminds me of the "can you hear me now..." ad campaign. If all the other features weren't so awesome, I'd return it.
2. Tinny speaker sound - it's sad that such an awesome phone has such a crappy speaker. My BB Bold from work is older and less sophisticated, but it does have an awesome speakerphone. The HD2's earpiece speaker isn't much better. It's too soft, and if you set it to loudest setting, you hear some distortion in high frequencies.
3. On wake-up, screen takes about a second to start responding to the touch - Not a really big deal, but kind of annoying when you just want to quickly pick up your phone and unlock it to check something out.
4. No dedicated camera shutter button - all reviews mentioned that, but I don't really care, as I'm not a big photography buff. But the on-screen shutter, coupled with the massive screen and the phone's thinness, is a real bitch to use.
5. Oh, and did I mention mediocre call quality???
Well i can happily inform you that its not as bad as you think:
1) Update your radio rom, Google this, look at the xda forum for easy guides to do this. A radio rom update will not only improve your signal but it will also improve the sound quality of your calls. Its VERY easy to do and VERY worthwhile!
2) Agreed, its rubbish, but get some headphones and you no longer need the speaker at all.... its ear piercing pitch is actually quite useful for alarms and phone ringtones.
3) Try installing a new rom, or better, download an android rom, one of the more stable ones, my screen turns on instantly now.
4) Yes this is not a problem.. a dedicated button is just more to go wrong, and really not that useful unless your taking pictures of yourself....!
5) NEW RADIO ROM! read before you do it to make sure you get a compatible rom.
Well... I just purchased HD2 3-4 days back and its a different version here in india, I guess..
It has good speaker quality though and call quality is also okay.. may be it is not the best but I am okay with it
I used HTC 4350 for more than 2 years and following is list I wanted like to see in HD2 the way they were in Win Mob 5!
1. Control key not in Keyboard
2. there is no 4 way navigation key, I wont expect a track pad as in blackberry but they should have provided something for navigation.. atleast a track ball
3. I was not able to find a way in picture browser to set any image as background.. i had to go to today and select wallpaper.
4. start menu has a weird way to list programs.. I find it very hard to find applications .. i loved the way winmobile 5 displayed it..
5. Camera key is absent
6. There is no default video player to display popular video formats like avi, mp4
7. I find it irritating to select a text and copy paste it to different location... like to select few words from one text message and add it to notes or name to any contact
8. No stylus
9. need to remove battery to remove memory card, in 4350 i was able to remove it from outside
10. I would like to have some facility to remove the sim card too without restarting... may be this is too much to expect but there can be something to detect if anyone wants to remove simcard and then should make the phone offline and then allow to remove sim.
11. Is it possible to have 2 + sim cards support !
There might be more to add to this list but as i m using HD2 just for 3-4 days... i need to explore it...
1. What do you need a ctrl key for? multiselection? There are plenty of other ways to do this, look into more specific software. Try upgrading your ROM to a custom one, these usually come loaded with loads of useful software that will probably mean you dont even need a ctrl button!
2. you really dont need this... get some programs that are swype programmable.
3. not an issue
4. look up the Energy custom roms on xda, these have a much better start menu.
5. as above...
6. this really is not an issue, download coreplayer!
7. this is SO specific, how many phones actually do that?!
8. you DONT need this, get a new rom which is finger friendly.
9. on the HD2? no you dont...?!?!
10. phones have always preferred having the sim card under the battery, im not exactly sure why this is, probably something software related, i dont think its very important!