Memory on Windows 7 Mobiles

Guest blade-jac

Guest blade-jac

Has anyone spotted a phone yet that has the ability to add memory. I know MS wont support hot pluggable but would like to replace my IPUD and 8 / 16gb just isnt enough.....

Guest thelondonthing

The official HTC Accessory Store specifies microSD cards as being accessories for HTC's range of WP7 devices - and the Dell Venue Pro apparently has a microSD slot as well.

Amazing that there's so little information on this, when the first devices are due to go on sale tomorrow!

Guest forelli
Reports said that the MicroSD will mixed with the main memory, changing microSD card will reset the device

Almost true: removing the micro sd will hard reset the device. Source: here!

Guest agolding

clove and expansys report that the dell venue pro is offering expandable memory on the phones and every press release seems to hint at it aswell. so look for that when its released?

Guest stuzathegreat
clove and expansys report that the dell venue pro is offering expandable memory on the phones and every press release seems to hint at it aswell. so look for that when its released?

Dell Venue Pro http://www.clove.co.uk/dell-venue-pro

Release date expected on 8th. Already have mine ordered with these guys as it was the cheapest I found at the time.

Yes you can upgrade however, MS have released some "cover my arse" statements such as "needs to be of sufficient speed" and "excellent quality" etc. AFAIK a 32gb can be used but they are all slow (Class 2?) so if they are good enough, I don't think anyone in the public knows at the moment. However, I'll let you know on the 9th when my 32gb goes into my Venue :)

I also don't fully buy into this raid 0 rumour on how cards are used. RAID 0 really should require the internal memory and the SD card to be the same size, this means that no "user upgradeable" phones would exist as you would for example have to remove an 8gb and replace with an 8gb. I suspect more that the phone will uncompress/unzip files onto the memory card and "overflow" on to it. Having said that yes, the previous poster was correct, a hard reboot will be required.

*IF* I am right, then I also suspect strongly that a Windows PC driver will be written soon to allow you to read the SD card directly in your laptop/desktop (of course, if it is some bizare setup of RAID0, this won't be possible)

Edited by stuzathegreat

• 2 months later...

Till date there is no such Windows 7 Mobile Phone in which there is room for expanding memory. Either they are 8Gb or 16Gb. And there are no such plans yet in the near future.

Guest awarner

But you can change the card if you want to invalidate your warranty on devices like the HD7 where you could replace it for a 32GB card but with the cost is it really worth it?

It's not just the samsung, the HD7 can be changed the only device that can definitely not be changed is the LG as it does not use a microSD card.

Exactly, it works for most Phone 7 devices as long as they have a microSD card (they are usually well hidden though). The problem with changing it for another card is speed. A couple of colleagues tried it here

with various results. One colleague had a class 10 card that worked, but most class 6 cards that they tried gave less than favorable results.