How to run a FULL Ubuntu Desktop on your San Francisco (tested & verified personally)

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

I claim no credit for having created this tutorial, nor for anything involved in the making possible of a fully operational and complete Desktop Ubuntu, running on your San Francisco.

My video of it running (excuse awful audio!):

How to install Ubuntu Desktop on Android (Blade verified)

This is the source of the tutorial which I used to get mine working - please note that I shall not be offering any kind of support, so if you don't feel up to the job, I'd recommend leaving it to someone else. I would recommend a 4Gb/8Gb microSD card, as Googling brings up reports of problems on larger microSD cards, but certainly don't use anything SMALLER than a 4Gb microSD.

Right, one final point; once you have downloaded the "ubuntu.zip" (links in the tutorial, linked above, but a much faster mirror is: http://rapefa.dl.rapidbaz.com/cIza/ubuntu.zip as the others are slooooowwwww!), you should browse to the microSD card path shown here: /sdcard/ubuntu and replace the "bootubuntu" script already in that folder (which you unzipped & copied over, remember?) with the attached one (unzip the attached "bootubuntu" and drag/drop/replace) OR IT WILL NOT WORK AT ALL.

To save a lot of link clicks and reading, what essentially is happening is that you are copying an Ubuntu distro compiled against "ARM" into your microSD card, booting it up inside a terminal on your Blade, installing a VNC server and telling it to serve to "localhost" (127.0.0.1), and then VNC'ing into it on localhost (as there is no X11 server on Android).

I also VNC'd into my Blade from my Mac, to control the Ubuntu Desktop running on my PHONE - w0000t?!

Enjoy this great hack - it really is fun :P

[EDIT] Just attached a 1024x800 PNG image for you to scp to your handset, to use as a wallpaper :-). Nothing special, but it will present you with a challenge, to scp it over (it's trivial, work it out ;-)).

bootubuntu.zip

post-625969-1287789978_thumb.png

Edited by glossywhite

Guest jsplace

Have done it with Debian on my Hero but this sounds cool :P

If I can wrestle the SF of the girlfriend for a day I might try it out.

Thanks for the info!

Guest glossywhite
Nice! Any screenshots/ vids?

Best regards,

BB

I'll knock a video up as soon as I get a minute (tonight). Here's a screenshot of my VNC'ing from MacBook Ubuntu into SF Ubuntu:

post-625969-1287694342_thumb.png

Edited by glossywhite

Seems like fun! I'll try this when my download speed picks up :P

edit: What's the performance like? Any use?

Yeah, thats what puts me off most of these awesome ports, the unusable speeds.

Hoping this one is better though...

So yeah, it is useable?

Thanks.

Guest glossywhite
Yeah, thats what puts me off most of these awesome ports, the unusable speeds.

Hoping this one is better though...

So yeah, it is useable?

Thanks.

Well let's face it - it's not designed to be a functional tool, just a hacker's toy :P

Guest glossywhite

Might try and install VirtualBox - see if I can get WIN XP running inside it! haha! :P

Video of it running (excuse awful audio!):

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite
Just a bit.

Drew a smiley face. That was about the limits :D

I'm hoping I can work out how to boot Ubuntu natively on the SF, without it having to run inside Android. People have done this already :P

If you reboot your phone, and then go to terminal, you can resize your "ubuntu.img" before you boot it, making more/less space available for Ubuntu:

su <press return>

cd /sdcard/ubuntu <press return>

e2fsck -fp ubuntu.img <press return>

resize2fs ubuntu.img 3500M <press return>

e2fsck -fp ubuntu.img <press return>

... is what I did. Step 1 does a filesystem check (forced) and the "p" option means "prune", whereby it fixes filesystem errors. The next step resizes my "ubuntu.img" to 3.5Gb (3,500Mb) and the final step does a filesystem check, once more.

Got apache2 and ssh running on mine, although starting them from /etc/init.d/rc.local didn't seem to work. Wrote a basic "index.html" using "cat" command ON THE DEVICE, IN TERMINAL, and saved it to /var/www, then viewed it in the browser. Nicccce :D

Edited by glossywhite

Guest mozzyguy

hey there, first post lolz

em i just wanted to say this is awesome and was wondering if there are other builds of linux capable of running like this on the sf.

Possibly a build of linux catered for lower end devices, i remember ubuntu netbook remix running on a 02 joggler although that was a lot more capable i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic I know but this thread got me thinking.

I have a netbook running Ubuntu remix,in the past I've used Opera Mini with an emulator but is there any way I could get the android version of Opera mini to run on my netbook and cut my data costs down?

• 6 months later...
Guest glossywhite

Just to let you guys know that I DO NOT offer help or support for this, as I simply don't have the knowhow or time, yet. Sorry!

Guest hackerse7en
Just to let you guys know that I DO NOT offer help or support for this, as I simply don't have the knowhow or time, yet. Sorry!

why not, you are really good you could at least try plzzz

imagine one day we could connect usb devices like a mouse and run ubuntu on top of cm7 just like a pc

Guest i am not a hacker

What does it mean when he says that you must have Android SDK installed? I've rooted my blade, and it said i should have it if i have rooted it

Guest Mushroom_Lord
What does it mean when he says that you must have Android SDK installed? I've rooted my blade, and it said i should have it if i have rooted it

Google would have told you faster than asking here :unsure: