DesireHD review

Guest cezent

Guest Richard Dawkins
Honestly, no matter under what circumstances this pic was taken... It looks awful in the thumb preview already, not to mention the full size image.. is it only me who's not THAT blown away by the image quality?

Nope, I wasn't sure if it was an example of how BAD the camera was.

Still, I have an Orange SanFran so I'm not about to get into a camera pissing contest with anyone! :)

Hi all,

I'm interested in the lock screen function on this phone. One of the things that really bugs me about my Samsung i8000 with Windows 6.5 is when it is asleep and a message comes in or a reminder is activated, the screen wakes up and it takes a couple of seconds for the lock screen to activate. If I am carrying the phone in my hand or in my pocket, I can inadvertantly dismiss the message or worse, reply with no text, or unknowingly make a phone call before the damn screen locks. Another thing that bugs me is the frequency with which it goes into the dreaded 'sleep of death' not to wake up and requiring battery removal before it will reboot.

So my queries, are, how effective is the lock screen when coming out of sleep mode, and, how what do you think of its reliability - does it crash? how often? Does it fall asleep and not wake up without a reset?

Appreciate your advice.

Regards,

Allan

EDIT: Answered here: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...it-multi-touch/

Another question, if I may:

The Nexus One/Desire had the well-known issue with multitouch. Ok not much of a huge issue, gotta admit, but it still irks that it can only recognize 2 fingers and they sometimes get mixed up. SGS goes up to 5 fingers and never has issues, apparently.

How's the multitouch on the DHD?

cheers,

sns

Edited by Guest

There was a video on youtube regarding this issue. DHD goes well with 2 fingers, don't know about more though.

EDIT: Ok, forget my post, you answered it already xD

Edited by Guest

Guest FatherD

I have tried very hard for a week to live with the DHD, but I cannot swallow such poor build quality, poor battery life, and yesterday the emergence of the proximity sensor issue, with no ota update from 3 to hope to solve it .. for £450

Just got back from the Watford 3 store .. refunded!

"Sorry sir we don't have any replacements ..."

"that's ok, I don't want one" :rolleyes:

Guest AndyCr15
I have tried very hard for a week to live with the DHD, but I cannot swallow such poor build quality, poor battery life, and yesterday the emergence of the proximity sensor issue, with no ota update from 3 to hope to solve it .. for £450

I have to ask... what poor build quality?

Battery life is great, better than any other Android I've owned (and I've had a lot). Of course, you don't see this for 10 days.

Not had proximity sensor issue. Also, there have been 2 OTA updates to fix this.

Anyway, you make your choice on what you experience I guess.

Guest FatherD
I have to ask... what poor build quality? ..... Also, there have been 2 OTA updates to fix this.

Well .. the Sim/SDcard cover never 'butted' to the alu body properly, not to be confused with the issue of wrongly refitting it; it also rocked about and creaked. The Battery cover had really poor gap alignment, no amount of refitting would get it to do justice to the price tag .... The build number was lower than most I have seen quoted (can't now remember exactly) and NO ota updates were offered through 3, the proximity issue just started happening after 6 days, that was truly the straw!

Oh ... and battery life, around half the time I was getting from my Desire, needed charging twice a day if I used it's 'smartphone' features .. that was what I paid for after all!

Edited by FatherD

Guest AndyCr15
Oh ... and battery life, around half the time I was getting from my Desire, needed charging twice a day if I used it's 'smartphone' features .. that was what I paid for after all!

Yeah, everyone's does that the first week. Then it doubles in life. Literally.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kneighbour

No one else seems to have mentioned the audio quality. So let me. It is AWEFUL!! The speaker is a tiny little thing on the back of the phone. But it is not just the audio quality - it is the volume. It is almost to the point of being unusable. I have everything audio set to max volume- and i spend a lot of time during the day pressing the Vol + button - just to make sure that it is still on max volume. It is barely ok for phone conversations at max volume. For playing music/audio books (which I do a lot of), it verges on useless.

I even tried a couple of downloaded movies. Useless - you had to hold the speaker an inch from your ear (literally) to hear anything.

The only way I have been able to use the DHD with audio is to use earphones (still on max volume though), or bluetooth. Bluetooth works just fine - as I use an external amplifier.

I have seen a mod to help a bit with the audio (+6db gain), but you need to root the phone to do it. I am thinking of doing that - or even sending the phone back to Vodaphone.

I too found the camera poor - but I can live with that.

The battery life is abysmal - if you actually use the phone (ie wireless, bluetooth, GPS), then you will not make it to lunchtime.

Other than that - I quite like the phone. This is the first phone is many years that I have had where the phone functions actually seem to work well.

So - if you want to play music/audio books with this phone - forget it.

Guest kneighbour
I think you'll find it's mentioned plenty. It was in fact the only reason I gave that you might not want to buy this phone - http://hemorrdroids.net/htc-desire-hd-review/

Camera is great, battery life is great.

Sorry - I had not noticed that review. I wish I had before I got my phone! While I completely agree with you about the speaker, I disagree about the battery and camera. I find the camera poor (but no poorer than other phone cameras), and the battery life terrible. But for my particular use, those two items do not worry me too much. I do use the audio a lot though, and for me that might just be the killer.

I carry a spare battery around with me - and I have a car charger, so battery life is not an issue. It is terrible, for sure, but I can live with it. I have a decent real camera, and I never expected to use the phone as a camera anyway, so no loss there.

But like you, I listen to podcasts all day long, and also audio books. And for this it verges on hopeless. Well, to be honest, it IS hopeless. The only way out is to plug in externally powered speakers, either via bluetooth or the 3.5mm jack. This is what I am doing. Even earphones are not good enough - there simply is not enough volume. The hard bit is to get powered speakers that I can use in the car. I am looking at getting USB powered speakers that I can use from the car charger - and that I can also plug the phone into to keep it charged as well. Still looking for something good enough there.

I actually got a very fast response from HTC (to my support request). That gave me some hope, but all they suggested was a soft reset. And then a hard/factory reset if that did not work. Not much joy there then. Even taking the thing back to where I bought it from is probably not a worthwhile option. Sound volume is such a subjective thing - and trying the phone out in a quiet retail shop is not the same as trying to play a podcast in a moving car. If I sent it back to HTC, all that would mean is losing all of my installed apps, and being without a phone for several weeks (months). Not much of an option either. And since a lot of users have this same problem, it seems that there is nothing that they can fix - it seems a design flaw.

Edited by kneighbour

I got my DHD on Saturday and I'm very impressed with the unit in terms of the user experience - a HUGE step up from my T-Mobile Pulse.

However, my DHD looks like it was put together by a drunk child on a Friday afternoon. The plastic inserts don't fit correctly (the one holding the flash unit being particularly bad) and the alluminium has been machined thicker on one side than the other which prevents the sim cover from fitting flush down the left hand side of the phone.

Very poor show from HTC to ship such a shoddy product. I'm sending mine back for replacement so hopefully phone2 will be made properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinokirk
got mine yesterday and I must admit I really like it, having come from a nexus one I was surprised how washed out the colours looked when compared side by side to the nexus but that said its a very sharp screen and makes games look brilliant. The only other down side I would say is the speaker they used is no better than the one they used in the nexus :) which is a real shame because the camera is great (see attached photos taken at work in POOR lighting) |So to sum up I would say...

Bad points

Speaker (they used one from a waist watch)

Colours displayed are slightly washed out when compared to nexus ect

Good Points

Fast

Loads of memory

Everything else!

Oh and the sim / memory card cover is a little tricky to get right and yep mine dont go back on flush ;)

post-27182-1288175355_thumb.jpg

Currys warehouse?

Edited by vinokirk