Streak 1.6 Keyboard on 2.2

Guest rahulkadukar

Guest phenomboy
The app works on the Archos 101.

Unfortunaly it only uses 800 of 1024 pixels from the Archos display.

Is it possible to scale the keyboard to the bigger Resolution?

Smartkeyboard does scale so it should be possible.

I download your sourcecode and try to fix it myself.

I will post the changes i made when i am successfull.

Same problem on Streak 2.2 in land mode

Guest Alkiera

Tried this keyboard... it's not bad, but there are a few issues:

• Portrait mode - total failure. I can only see half the keyboard.
  • the spacebar: the section below and to the right of 'b' doesn't work reliably.
  • Capitals... the 'ABC' button requires dark tapping magic to get it to release. It doesn't toggle smoothly.
  • The organization of the symbols is rather curious, at least from a en-us user.
  • The keys are spaced out horizontally, but not vertically; would prefer they were just larger, overall.
  • Some keys, notably ' cause weird issues with the word prediction code; would just as soon not have that prediction bar.

The shift (caps) key and the issues with the prediction bar were issues I've had with at least one other SoftKeyboard-based project (The split keyboard); I think the bugs are in the original source.

I'll second wanting the arrow keys; at least left/right, as cursor placement with a finger is not easy.

+1 on arrow keys... portrait mode issue where half the keyboard is showing is the only thing keeping me from using this keyboard. Otherwise, it looks fine to me. I just hope its a responsive as the multi-touch DroidX keyboard that Im currently on.

Hi,

This is what I have now got, please bear with me, I am not an expert and can at the most modify the layout of the keyboard. Suggestions are always welcome, I am learning JavaScript, XML and SVG. Then I will make a webpage where you can drag and drop and make your own keyboard. I am still learning so expect the final result in around 2 weeks, also my Java is not spectacular so I will keep adding new stuff as and when I learn it :)

Till then enjoy. Please rename the file extension from .ZIP to .APK

devicel.png

I wanted to add one thing, when you press Shift then you can see the Screenshot shown below and on that if you press ABC then you actually see the same symbols but if you want to change the symbols you can tell me and I will include them, what this basically means is that we can have 3 views. I am currently using only 2 and if someone wants some extra keys we have one whole view :)

Just added 3rd view

With Shift key pressed

deviceshift.png

With Shift Key followed by ABC

deviceshift2.png

Alternate Download links

V1 Streak Keyboard 1.6 V1

V2 Streak Keyboard 1.6 V2 Latest Version

How to install

1. Install the apk file from above

2. Then go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard settings and enable the keyboard

devicesettings1.png

3. Then long press any text entry field until this popup appears and select Input Method

devicesettings2.png

4. Select Streak Keyboard 1.6

devicesettings3.png

Changes made

1. Added a ? when SHIFT is pressed in place of 0 key. Thanks jeffrey2000 for pointing this out.

2. Added the 3rd view with smileys and top level domains used while browsing the internet.

will this work on 2.1 on dell streak as this keyboard is the best

thanks

Guest ClippinWings

In portrait(as mentioned) = only half the keyboard is shown

In Landscape = does not fit the screen, blank space on the right hand side.

Maybe a pixel density issue?

Nice work thus far.... looking forward to a version that works with Steven's Foyo Rom.

Guest rahulkadukar
In portrait(as mentioned) = only half the keyboard is shown

In Landscape = does not fit the screen, blank space on the right hand side.

Maybe a pixel density issue?

Nice work thus far.... looking forward to a version that works with Steven's Foyo Rom.

Tried this keyboard... it's not bad, but there are a few issues:
  • Portrait mode - total failure. I can only see half the keyboard.
  • the spacebar: the section below and to the right of 'b' doesn't work reliably.
  • Capitals... the 'ABC' button requires dark tapping magic to get it to release. It doesn't toggle smoothly.
  • The organization of the symbols is rather curious, at least from a en-us user.
  • The keys are spaced out horizontally, but not vertically; would prefer they were just larger, overall.
  • Some keys, notably ' cause weird issues with the word prediction code; would just as soon not have that prediction bar.

The shift (caps) key and the issues with the prediction bar were issues I've had with at least one other SoftKeyboard-based project (The split keyboard); I think the bugs are in the original source.

I'll second wanting the arrow keys; at least left/right, as cursor placement with a finger is not easy.

No it is not the pixel density, it is my poor coding :)

Will try to sort out the issue and thanks for the feedback. Office has started and hence have less time to work, hoping to sort out the Landscape/Portrait issue ASAP. Also have to sort it out for the Archos guy will do it in 8 hours.

I have found that with 2.2's keyboard, it has a handy feature where if i hold a letter or other button down it gives me the option for more characters, such as the pound sign and other things.

Maybe this is a way of adding more?

Thanks,

Del

Guest steflucrene

@rahulkadukar

I'm not a dev but 3 days ago I decide to create a AZERTY Keyboard for the French and I had the same pb with landscape and portrait mode. After Hours I found the solution.

I saw you use the sample from the SDK softkeyboard like me so :

First part: values-lan and dimens.xml

First you have to create a folder values-land just under the folder values. Inside the folder values-land create un file dimens.xml. So in each folders, you must have un dimens.xml file;

The values folders are to manage the height and the width in portrait mode. And the values-land in....landscape mode.

In each dimens.xml files, create to values:

<resources>

<dimen name="key_width">36dip</dimen>

<dimen name="key_height">56dip</dimen>

</resources>

Of course you change the values you like by test.

Seconde part:The qwerty.xml file

Here is the seconde part where you link the values to the keyboard.

Open the file and replace the original line for the width by :

android:keyWidth="@dimen/key_width"

normaley the original line for the height is correct and should be:

android:keyHeight="@dimen/key_height"

be carful with the android:keyWidth to specific key in the qwerty.xml file because it's over writting the global values

save all files.

It's over.

For me it woks.

Edited by steflucrene

Guest rahulkadukar
@rahulkadukar

I'm not a dev but 3 days ago I decide to create a AZERTY Keyboard for the French and I had the same pb with landscape and portrait mode. After Hours I found the solution.

I saw you use the sample from the SDK softkeyboard like me so :

First part: values-lan and dimens.xml

First you have to create a folder values-land just under the folder values. Inside the folder values-land create un file dimens.xml. So in each folders, you must have un dimens.xml file;

The values folders are to manage the height and the width in portrait mode. And the values-land in....landscape mode.

In each dimens.xml files, create to values:

<resources>

<dimen name="key_width">36dip</dimen>

<dimen name="key_height">56dip</dimen>

</resources>

Of course you change the values you like by test.

Seconde part:The qwerty.xml file

Here is the seconde part where you link the values to the keyboard.

Open the file and replace the original line for the width by :

android:keyWidth="@dimen/key_width"

normaley the original line for the height is correct and should be:

android:keyHeight="@dimen/key_height"

be carful with the android:keyWidth to specific key in the qwerty.xml file because it's over writting the global values

save all files.

It's over.

For me it woks.

Thanks for the input, is it possible in anyway to change the key layout as well. I don't think numbers are required in the portrait mode

Guest stevenmcw

Hi

I'm so happy that this is been worked on.

Vibrate on keypress would be a nice additiion

Keep up the great work :)

thank again

Edited by stevenmcw

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hothan Dao

+1 for left/right cursor navigation

+ 1 for alternative char when hold a key - the alternative chars will be grey display below the key (Like HTC IME)

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest waywood

This is so awesome - I've been looking for this version of the keyboard ever since I upgraded to 2.1 and lost the old (beloved) 1.6 keyboard. I've installed this (now running 2.2) and it works brilliantly :)

Thank you so much!

Guest waywood

Don't know if this is just me or a glitch - when typing a postcode or alphanumeric password - as soon a a number is pressed - all the letters that were previously entered dissapear. Is this me or have others noticed this?

Guest rahulkadukar

I have just uploaded V3, it now includes Arrow keys B)

Next thing on target is to get this to work perfectly in the Portrait mode as well, and this may also be resolved soon, just one small hurdle :unsure:

Guest Hothan Dao

Great!

I find the keyboard button is quite small, can you make it taller (= tallness of Dell Streak Swype keyboard), as well as hide the input box when the keyboard appear in landscape screen.

Some below, I hope them will be included in later releases:

+1 for alternative key when holding key, like HTC IME.

+1 for Change Shift->Alt, and ABC->Shift

Attachment is my explaination

post-781461-1294125623_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hothan Dao

Guest Hothan Dao

Flashman!

Waiting for "Alternative Key when Holding" and Customized Keyboard layout (as you mentioned above) ^^.

Thanks,

Edited by Hothan Dao

Guest rahulkadukar

V5 is now up, major change made is "Alternate keys" are now available when you long press any key and Scandinavian key has been added which gives access to 10 more keys on a long press.

Now I guess I will learn something on skinning the keyboard :unsure: