Help please - stuck on Dell screen and recovery/fastboot doesn't load

Guest kire42

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure, but I think I broke my phone when I tried to update to 2.2. I would greatly appreciate any help, and at this point I would be happy to go back to the stock OS.

At first I followed the instructions to upgrade from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) to OS 1.6 (build 4399) and from there to OS 2.1 (build 8105).

2.1 worked perfectly and I wanted to update to 2.2 so I installed koush's clockworkMod recovery and attempted to apply update-release-1.1.1.zip. For some reason I wasn't able to get it to boot into 2.2 so I decided to roll back to OS 2.1 so I would have a working phone.

So I installed the recovery.stock.new.img recovery image and copied the OS 2.1 (build 8105) to my phone and named it Update.pkg. I did the upgrade and everything seemed fine. It booted to 2.1 and started the installer and automatically rebooted. After that, however, it just froze at the dell logo indefinitely. I left it on for half an hour and the OS never came up.

I tried to access fastboot mode as usual by holding the camera button and then holding the power button but that didn't work. I read somewhere that in 2.1 you need to press and hold the camera button right after the lights come on, but that didn't work either.

I also wasn't able to enter recovery mode by holding the volume buttons and the power button. I also tried pressing and holding them as it booted up, but that didn't work either.

At this point I can't get past the dell logo and I'm afraid that I might have somehow broken my streak. Can anyone help me? Is my poor cell phone beyond all hope?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest punkrckriot
I tried to access fastboot mode as usual by holding the camera button and then holding the power button but that didn't work.

its power till the lights come on then camera. keep holding both till screen goes white

for recovery hold both volume buttons and power button till you get the 4 option screen with factory reset. choose factory reset and wait a bit and 2.2 should load i had the same problem

good luck

its power till the lights come on then camera. keep holding both till screen goes white

for recovery hold both volume buttons and power button till you get the 4 option screen with factory reset. choose factory reset and wait a bit and 2.2 should load i had the same problem

good luck

Thanks punkrckriot, I tried that but the screen never goes white, it just stays on the dell logo. Same thing for the recovery mode, I press and hold the volume buttons when the lights come on but it just stays on the dell logo.

I can't think of anything else to try, so I guess my streak is pretty much broken unless anyone else has an idea. :)

I realize I voided the warranty by installing a non-official OS, but I wonder if I should risk sending it in anyway. Since the OS doesn't load and the recovery/fastboot doesn't work would they be able to tell?

Actually, on second thought, I don't think I would feel good about lying to get it repaired by warranty. I wonder what other options there are.

I've tried entering fastboot and recovery every way I could think of, but it just stays on the dell logo screen. The logo isn't animating or anything either. I couldn't find anybody else on the web who has the same problem as me, so I think it's a lost cause.

It probably just needs a new board. Does anyone know where can I take it for out of warranty repair and how much that would cost? I suppose I could call dell warranty and just fess up that I broke it, maybe they can fix it for less than the cost of a new one. Failing that, I could sell it as a parts phone but I would really like my streak back.

Guest adzman808
Actually, on second thought, I don't think I would feel good about lying to get it repaired by warranty. I wonder what other options there are.

I've tried entering fastboot and recovery every way I could think of, but it just stays on the dell logo screen. The logo isn't animating or anything either. I couldn't find anybody else on the web who has the same problem as me, so I think it's a lost cause.

It probably just needs a new board. Does anyone know where can I take it for out of warranty repair and how much that would cost? I suppose I could call dell warranty and just fess up that I broke it, maybe they can fix it for less than the cost of a new one. Failing that, I could sell it as a parts phone but I would really like my streak back.

sounds like you need one from ebay with a cracked screen & make 1 good dell from the 2....

if you've screwed the OS, then perhaps there's a way to do somethign with the internal storage card, there's a thread on here where people are trying to put 32gb internal cards in the streak - so they must have a way of re-flashing the OS onto the internal memory

personally i'd risk the lying route... as longs as you ensure that they don't repair it & then charge you afterwards ie if they say "we've checked your phone & the damage is not covered by warranty" you can get it sent back for just the postage cost, ok you wont be any further forward, but you wont have spent much money either... then examine your options

if the board is fried, then they should fix it & probably wont look at the OS....

worth a try, no?

Guest gillebob
Have you managed to get anywhere with this, I'm having the same problem after flashing the new baseband for Steve's 1.20 and can't do anything.

yeah me too, can get into fastboot and flash the recovery image but when i reboot all i get is the dell logo.

Went from 1.1.1 to 1.2 but had the flashing lights and tried to go back to 1.1.1 again.

Vol up & down + power loads recovery, but whether i select factory reset or install from sd both give me a black screen.

If i power up normally all i get is a poxy dell logo.

Help would be much appreciated here guys.

Guest yosemite-sam
yeah me too, can get into fastboot and flash the recovery image but when i reboot all i get is the dell logo.

Went from 1.1.1 to 1.2 but had the flashing lights and tried to go back to 1.1.1 again.

Vol up & down + power loads recovery, but whether i select factory reset or install from sd both give me a black screen.

If i power up normally all i get is a poxy dell logo.

Help would be much appreciated here guys.

what stage are you at right now? running 1.1.1 or stuck at the dell logo after flashing 2.2?

id only get the black screen when selecting update from sd if i hadnt had 2.5.0.1-streak-clockworkrecovery flashed first.

selecting to update once the 2.5.0.1-streak-clockworkrecovery was installed brought up the menu with green text allowing you to flash using update.zip

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest Dogmann55

Hi guys,

Well for those of you that only get the black screen at this point try the volume up or down button and then the camera button push them separately not all at the same time as i seem to remember when i once had this issue doing that bought up the recovery screen and all was fine after that just hope it may work for you.

Marc

Guest gillebob
what stage are you at right now? running 1.1.1 or stuck at the dell logo after flashing 2.2?

id only get the black screen when selecting update from sd if i hadnt had 2.5.0.1-streak-clockworkrecovery flashed first.

selecting to update once the 2.5.0.1-streak-clockworkrecovery was installed brought up the menu with green text allowing you to flash using update.zip

Hey im a happy chappy again... used homeiss' excellent guide for downgraging 2.2 to 2.1.

Gonna try going back to 1.1.1 and stay there for a while.

Thanks homeiss for your guide, paul for this site and of course djsteve for EVERYTHING else. :)

Guest Strakerr3

I had a similiar problem, It was very odd at the time. But it seemed the fastboot and recovery still functioned but activating them had slightly changed???

To get into either i'd have to press the power button until the phone shows its first sign of life then immediately hold the camera or volume buttons depending on what you need, WITHOUT holding in the power.

Give it a try, It's odd but it did work for me :)

Guest mr gribbly
I had a similiar problem, It was very odd at the time. But it seemed the fastboot and recovery still functioned but activating them had slightly changed???

To get into either i'd have to press the power button until the phone shows its first sign of life then immediately hold the camera or volume buttons depending on what you need, WITHOUT holding in the power.

Give it a try, It's odd but it did work for me :)

I've tried that but I literally cannot do anything. the streak just stays at the logo, for hours if I leave it and just won't go into either fastboot or recovery. I'm really starting to worry I've bricked it.

If you see the logo when trying to get fastboot or recovery, you didn't do it quick enough, or it may be that some of your buttons are faulty?

Also, it's *almost* impossible to brick the streak completely... if you're getting the logo it's fixable.

I've tried that but I literally cannot do anything. the streak just stays at the logo, for hours if I leave it and just won't go into either fastboot or recovery. I'm really starting to worry I've bricked it.

Guest mr gribbly
If you see the logo when trying to get fastboot or recovery, you didn't do it quick enough, or it may be that some of your buttons are faulty?

Also, it's *almost* impossible to brick the streak completely... if you're getting the logo it's fixable.

Thanks for the reassurance about it being totally dead. but I don't think its a case of not pushing the buttons quickly enough as I was fine doing it for the last 4 or 5 updates and it just refuses to work no matter what I try.

Thanks for your help on this guys, I'm reasonable tech savvy but new to ROMs and android.

Have you managed to get anywhere with this, I'm having the same problem after flashing the new baseband for Steve's 1.20 and can't do anything.

Yes I had this when I messed up by using the 'fastboot reboot' command instead of using the Windows 'fastboot -i 0x413c reboot'. So I decided to start again and redo the flash amss.mbn procedure.

However I then got stuck on accessing FlashBoot same as others here. Prior to each attempt I pulled the battery just in case.

Eventually it came down to technique both in timing and sequence for holding the Power and Camera buttons. Both individually and together.

What finally worked for me was to hold the Power for a moment until the side button lights flash and then quickly press and hold the Camera button. Holding both buttons down until the white screen comes on.

I, too, was beginning to feel the onset of ‘OMG it’s bricked’. My conclusion? Stay calm, practice and observe until you get it right.

At least I hope it turns out to be is as simple as that for those who are clearly stuck and a bit desperate.

Guest Supra2010

I have the same problem with my dell streak, guess due to the fact I updated the baseband twice....

Anyway, now it is like a brick, can not access fastboot / recovery, the only response is stuck on the dell logo screen...

Also, I tried with power on without battery, normally the system will show up ''to close the back-cover to boot'', but in my case, nothing shown up and need to pull out the battery to reboot it..

And when I charge it using the normal ac charger, there is just no display shown, as normally there will be a battery picture saying charging info when press the power button. The only sight is the 3 led light button being turned on....

"My guess -1": My internal 2G microSD is mess up, but this is the less worst situation as we have the chance to take the internal card out to do something..

"My guess -2": the motherboard's (equivalent to PC's) rom is borken, just like people always have the risk to flash their PC's mothermoard firmware and failure will lead to return to factory (dead), unless there is a technician can do a hardware flash by chip mod?...

So, I have tried all the methods (mentioned above and all i can search in this forum and google) I know, none is working; however I am not giving up, as I wish someone can come up with some really creative solution to save us all (a few people are struggled like me). But if we are running out of luck, I guess I will contact dell to see whether they can fix for me, as I really don't mind to pay some money instead of just wasting another great phone~~~~

Guest gillebob
I have the same problem with my dell streak, guess due to the fact I updated the baseband twice....

Anyway, now it is like a brick, can not access fastboot / recovery, the only response is stuck on the dell logo screen...

Also, I tried with power on without battery, normally the system will show up ''to close the back-cover to boot'', but in my case, nothing shown up and need to pull out the battery to reboot it..

And when I charge it using the normal ac charger, there is just no display shown, as normally there will be a battery picture saying charging info when press the power button. The only sight is the 3 led light button being turned on....

"My guess -1": My internal 2G microSD is mess up, but this is the less worst situation as we have the chance to take the internal card out to do something..

"My guess -2": the motherboard's (equivalent to PC's) rom is borken, just like people always have the risk to flash their PC's mothermoard firmware and failure will lead to return to factory (dead), unless there is a technician can do a hardware flash by chip mod?...

So, I have tried all the methods (mentioned above and all i can search in this forum and google) I know, none is working; however I am not giving up, as I wish someone can come up with some really creative solution to save us all (a few people are struggled like me). But if we are running out of luck, I guess I will contact dell to see whether they can fix for me, as I really don't mind to pay some money instead of just wasting another great phone~~~~

Sorry for your trouble and wish i could offer some advice, but i'm not as smart as a lot of others on here. All i can offer is good luck.

Guest mr gribbly
Yes I had this when I messed up by using the 'fastboot reboot' command instead of using the Windows 'fastboot -i 0x413c reboot'. So I decided to start again and redo the flash amss.mbn procedure.

However I then got stuck on accessing FlashBoot same as others here. Prior to each attempt I pulled the battery just in case.

Eventually it came down to technique both in timing and sequence for holding the Power and Camera buttons. Both individually and together.

What finally worked for me was to hold the Power for a moment until the side button lights flash and then quickly press and hold the Camera button. Holding both buttons down until the white screen comes on.

I, too, was beginning to feel the onset of ‘OMG it’s bricked’. My conclusion? Stay calm, practice and observe until you get it right.

At least I hope it turns out to be is as simple as that for those who are clearly stuck and a bit desperate.

I've been trying what you suggested and so far no luck, but I'll keep trying and hope its just a very very specific timing thats the problem

Guest mzsigler

Are you pressing the camera button ALL THE WAY down? The camera button has two stages, one focuses, then you press harder to take a pic. You have to get it to the the second stage to access fastboot.

Pull the battery, replace it, replace the battery cover. Press and hold the power button until the soft key lights come on, and as soon as they do, press and hold the camera button HARD and release the power button. Keep the camera button held until you see a white screen.

Guest mr gribbly
Are you pressing the camera button ALL THE WAY down? The camera button has two stages, one focuses, then you press harder to take a pic. You have to get it to the the second stage to access fastboot.

Pull the battery, replace it, replace the battery cover. Press and hold the power button until the soft key lights come on, and as soon as they do, press and hold the camera button HARD and release the power button. Keep the camera button held until you see a white screen.

Yeah, I've tried every imaginable timing I could think of, but unless its down to the hundredth of a second then it just will not work at all. If I push the camera to soon then I get just a blank screen, otherwise I just get a flash of white then the dell logo. I never had any problems with all the other updates so it must have been something that went wrong when I flashed the baseband.

Guest mzsigler
Yeah, I've tried every imaginable timing I could think of, but unless its down to the hundredth of a second then it just will not work at all. If I push the camera to soon then I get just a blank screen, otherwise I just get a flash of white then the dell logo. I never had any problems with all the other updates so it must have been something that went wrong when I flashed the baseband.

Trying to get to fastboot or recovery?

Guest Supra2010

same here, if press camera + power together = screen off all the way

power first + camera followed = just dell logo all the way

camera first + power followed = screen off all the way

I thinks the timing is no help, just hours for practise :rolleyes: