Carphone Warehouse 2.1 is up!!! (A brief review of my upgrade process)

Guest BK2FUT

Upgraded last night, with hardly a hitch.

Backing stuff up was the only problem; I *hate* the LG PC Suite, and urge you to stay away from it at all costs.

It's slow, bloated, and it screwed up the USB drivers on my PC.

Before I installed the suite I was checking daily for updates with the official LG updater,with no problem. After I installed the Suite, it wouldn't recognise the phone.

Took a number of USB driver re-installs to get it to recognise it again.

And to add insult to injury, the rubbish suite program didn't even work for me.

BTW; there's a great free app on the marketplace called SMS Backup & Restore.

It'll back up all of your texts (not MMS though) to the SD card, and then restore them after the update.

Also be aware that 2.1, as standard, has the option enabled to delete txts over 200 in a thread. I lost a few, and had to re-restore using that app, after disabling the option in settings.

Also had some issues backing up my contacts. PC Suite just sat there stupidly, saying there was no connection to the phone.

BOUGHT an app (for $1 admittedly) that allegedly backed them up, but then it wasn't available to download in the marketplace. Assume it only works on 1.6. Had to export some partial contacts from another gmail account as vCard data, then import them to the phone from the SD Card. Sadly, all of my Favorites (for some reason) didn't copy over.

But, that being said, 2.1 is great, smooth, looks great, runs great, and the update procedure itself only took about 10mins max.

Hello Eclair!

:cool:

Guest jporch316
Also had some issues backing up my contacts. PC Suite just sat there stupidly, saying there was no connection to the phone.

BOUGHT an app (for $1 admittedly) that allegedly backed them up, but then it wasn't available to download in the marketplace. Assume it only works on 1.6. Had to export some partial contacts from another gmail account as vCard data, then import them to the phone from the SD Card. Sadly, all of my Favorites (for some reason) didn't copy over.

Why didnt you back them all up to your gmail account? absolutely the best and easiest way by far - enter your gmail address in at startup and voila all contacts copied over

Guest gstar101
Why didnt you back them all up to your gmail account? absolutely the best and easiest way by far - enter your gmail address in at startup and voila all contacts copied over

The process to backup the contacts to gmail, can you(or anyone else who has gotten this working) explain? As I haven't been able to sync my phone's contacts with gmail either (I usually just do a backup to sd card and restore)

Guest PaulZero
The process to backup the contacts to gmail, can you(or anyone else who has gotten this working) explain? As I haven't been able to sync my phone's contacts with gmail either (I usually just do a backup to sd card and restore)

Create contacts as Google contacts (as opposed to phone or SIM) and as long as your phone is set to synchronise data they should be backed up by way of your Gmail account. I did this when moving to 2.1, didn't lose anyone.

Very handy indeed.

My contacts absolutely refused to sync, no matter what I did.

I tried a bunch of times employing a bunch of methods mentioned on forums, but no dice... they would just never show up in my gMail account.

:)

By the way, I now (somehow) havetwo types of contact on my phone; 'Google Contact's and 'PC Sync' contacts.

Does anyone know what the difference is, or which is best to use?

Thanks!

Guest he6rt6gr6m

I updated yesterday, and everything remained. The ROM updated, but the apps, contacts, etc. all stayed put.

Sadly, the Sims 3 won't work for me. I might have to format it and see what happens there.

Edited by he6rt6gr6m

Sims doesn't work for me either, just closes after the title screen.

I don't even want to play the damn thing, I'm just resentful of the phone storage space it's taking up...

Guest Carbonize
I updated yesterday, and everything remained. The ROM updated, but the apps, contacts, etc. all stayed put.

Sadly, the Sims 3 won't work for me. I might have to format it and see what happens there.

To get the sims to work then unpack this and copy the "Android" folder and its contents to your SD card

Download : SD Card Contents

Guest jporch316

has anyone else had the number "1" in their notification bar since the cpw upgrade? I cant for the life of me get rid of it - im thinking of a master reset already

Guest jporch316

think ill try and reflash it the hard way! must be something to do with the rom install - there no way I can reapply the rom with the LG updater is there?

think ill try and reflash it the hard way! must be something to do with the rom install - there no way I can reapply the rom with the LG updater is there?

I've been wondering the same thing...

Guest ScottyBoy76
I've been wondering the same thing...

I've reapplied the CPW 2.1 update to my handset but still have the digit 1 showing in the notifications bar.

Other than that it's been quite stable and the basic apps and widgets that I use were successfully downloaded & installed without any major issues - only thing bugging me is trying to remove the bundled software that comes with the updated 2.1 ROM image (i.e. Shazam, The Sims 3).

Has anybody been able to remove them and if so how were you able to do it.

Thanks, SB