How to: Install CM6.1 (beta 0.30), DTApps2SD, and OC kernel

Guest twrock

2010/12/05 Note:
This thread is now a month old. If you just found this thread and haven't been keeping up to date, you might want to skip all of this and go straight to the latest version of Cyanogen Mod for Pulse. It's not that something is wrong with any of the instructions below, it's just that most people will want to get the latest rom if they are going to go through all the work of installing one. Here's a link to Richard Arkless latest version of the Froyo rom:

Incidentally, I have created a modified version of CM6.1-Pulse0.40 that includes Chinese handwriting along with a few other modifications and bug fixes. It works very well as a generic install if you just ignore the Chinese handwriting input option. (It also has Touchpal as well as the Android stock keyboard.) Here is a link:

And finally, here's a link to a German language web page with instructions based on these here:

How to install the Cyanogen Mod 6.1 - Pulse beta 0.30 Froyo ROM with DarkTremor Apps2SD and an overclock kernel.

Links to get ready:

• Tom G's Cyanogen Mod 6.1 - Pulse beta 0.30: http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/froyo/CM6....e-beta-0.30.zip
  • Starkos' 691MHz overclock kernel: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=65135
  • DarkTremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.2: dtapps2sd_2.7.5.2_signed.zip
  • Flibblesan's modified Google Apps for Pulse: http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/froyo/gapp...1020-signed.zip
  • Starkos' Gallery and SoundRecorder fix: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=65686
  • Starkos' Camera Focus button fix: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=65672 (DISCLAIMER: I have not tested this as part of a complete install; I only went back and flashed it after completing everything else and having already been using CM6.1 for a time; but I see no reason why it won't work as just another step in the initial install.)
  • SetCPU for Root Users (this is not installed via Recovery; it is an app that is also available on the Market): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419

First, here's the link with the details for doing all sorts of things with your Pulse: The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide. Please become familiar with that guide. These instructions here assume you have previously successfully installed a modified 2.1 rom and know some basics. If you don't know yet what any of that means, you should first go and carefully read "The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide." I don't intend to try to answer questions that were covered in that guide. Maybe someone else is willing to spend the time.

Also, these instructions assume that you know how to partition your SD card to include EXT2 and SWAP partitions. If you don't know how to do that, please search for that knowledge first. Some information about that is covered in "The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide." Or you can also have a look at this post for another option: partitioning with Gparted.

Step-by-step instructions:
    • Do a nandroid backup first! (And you might want to copy that backup to a safe place on your computer.)
    • Optional: Re-install the official UK 2.1 update and boot into it once (just in case you really want to start over completely fresh; this might also be useful if you are getting installation errors; just start over at the very beginning with the official update; I have needed to do this at times to get out of some mess I made).
    • If you have not yet done so, partition your SD card with a fat32 partition for data storage, an ext2 partition (notice that is ext2, not ext3 or ext4) for apps2sd (256mb or more is fine, however much you think you will need for apps), and a swap partition (32 - 64mb is fine). NOTE: partitioning your card will likely delete that nandroid backup you made; copy it elsewhere first. (If you have a Linux machine, partitioning is easy; if you don't, you can find information on how to do that on your phone in "The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide.")
    • Copy all of the files linked above onto your SD card, either by using the "partition menu/mount USB storage" in Recovery or by using an SD card reader.
    • Install Clockwork Recovery (if you flashed the official update or if you haven't ever installed CW Recovery before). NOTE: that is Clockwork Recovery not AmonRA Recovery; I can't say whether or not things will work with AmonRA because I don't use it. (And some people's problems seem to have been solved by moving to CW Recovery.) If you don't know how to install Clockwork Recovery, go back and read "The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide", but substitute Clockwork Recovery instead of AmonRA Recovery.
    • Boot into CW Recovery.
    • Do a "wipe data/factory reset" to wipe everything.
    • Optionally while in Recovery, clear your battery stats: "advance/Wipe Battery Stats".
    • While still in Recovery, install the zips in the order I listed them above by doing "install zip from sd card/choose zip from sd card". (I don't know if the order is absolutely critical, but it is what I did and it worked, so it is what I recommend.) Do not reboot in between each install; install them one after another, noting that each installs correctly. (Further note: you will not be installing SetCPU at this time.)
    • When you have successfully installed all the zip files, reboot into your new Froyo ROM. This will take some time. Wait!
    • [If you have backed up all your data to Google and you leave the auto-restore feature on, this first boot might be really bad. You'll think the whole thing has hung because Google is reinstalling everything for you, including syncing all your data. Just wait! Alternately, you might choose to "Skip" the Google login, and go directly into Terminal as soon as possible to check everything else is working and to set the swappiness to something more reasonable. Then after your phone is running stable, go ahead and log in to your Google account, and let Google do its thing. That is actually what I did, but I don't think you have to do it this way.]
    • Start Superuser to update the binary if needed.
    • Start Terminal, and type "su" and enter, grant Superuser permission, then type "a2sd check" and enter to see if everything is working (apps run from sd and swap has started).
    • While in Terminal, you might choose to adjust the swappiness by typing "a2sd swappy15" and then enter, but this setting is up to you. (The default is 60, but many people report serious system lag over time if that number is left that high.)
    • You can type "free" to see what's going on with your swap space.
    • You can also enable cache2sd by typing "a2sd cachesd", but some have suggested that you only do this with a fast Class 6 card.
    • Install SetCPU (by joining XDA or from the Market) and adjust the overclocking to your desired levels (read up on that elsewhere).

A few additional notes:

[*]The built-in Froyo apps to SD is not enabled by default, so there should be no conflict there. I don't know what happens if you turn that on while using DT Apps2SD, and I have no intention of finding out.

[*]I don't understand the positives or negatives of leaving compcache enabled with swap enabled. You'll have to look elsewhere for that information. Personally, I disabled it.

[*]This thread is intended to cover installation. If you want to discuss post-installation issues and problems, I suggest that you go to this thread instead: CyanogenMod 6 Discussion/Help.

[*]To report bugs in CyanogenMod 6 (for Pulse), please go back to that thread: CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse.

That is "exactly" what I did to get Froyo working. What I mean by that is that I edited those instruction as I went through a complete reinstall, including flashing the T-Mobile UK 2.1 update first, and booting into that official ROM once, before continuing on with the rest of the install. YMMV, but it has worked for me exactly like that each time I did it exactly like that.

Good luck.

Edited by twrock

FAQ

• Q: If I use this install method, how do I actually move my apps to SD?

A: If you complete each step of the instructions as listed, your apps will be automatically installed to SD. You should not need to do anything to try to make that happen manually. You should not go into Settings/Applications/Manage Applications and choose individual applications there to move to the SD card. They are already on the SD card. DT Apps2SD puts apps in a different place (on the ext2 partition you created) than the Froyo's own built-in system, so they will not be shown as being there under the "On SD card" tab in that menu item. Also, under Settings/CyanogenMod settings/Application settings, you should not check "Allow applications moving". That is part of the built-in Froyo system and DT is already handling it.

If you want to be sure that your apps are being installed to SD by DT, go into the Terminal app and type "su" enter and then "a2sd check". You can scroll up to verify that your apps are running from the SD card. Also, if you have something like 103 apps installed on your phone, I can guarantee that DT is working. :)

• Q: Why are you installing DarkTremor Apps2SD when the CM6.1 rom already has that function built-in?

A: There are a number of us who believe that DT Apps2SD gives superior performance over the built-in system. For example, it seems that widgets and applications with widgets can not be moved to the SD card using Froyo's system. It is also reported that the complete app is not moved to SD, only part of it, meaning that internal memory is dropping much faster with the built-in system. But, have a look at these links and do some experimenting for yourself if you still have questions. I am not an "evangelist" for DT Apps2SD, but I do think it works better for me. YMMV, and there are other ways of doing all this.

• Q: What is the difference between the "Pulse Google Apps" and the other two?

A: In the "Pulse version" of Google Apps, Flibblesan started with the "full" version and took some of the apps out of the one part of the rom (/system) and moved them into another (/data). (I should say, that is as I have understood what he did; I might be wrong.) The advantage of this is that those applications he moved can be easily updated in the future with new versions, or simply deleted by the user after installation. Also, and this is very important, it frees up some room in the /system part of the rom to install other apps. The "tiny" version will have a bit more space than the "Pulse" version, but it also lacks some of the apps because they were deleted instead of moved.

• Q: I did "XYZ" and the instructions still don't work!

A: Usually the problem is not XYZ, but instead it is ABC. Let me explain. No matter how well you follow a later step in the instructions, if you sufficiently messed something up back at the beginning, nothing else matters after that. It won't work. Except for the possibility that you really don't have the same hardware as others, if you follow the same set of instructions, you are more than likely going to get the same results. So all I can really suggest is that you think back through the choices you made along the way and try to figure out where you deviated from the instructions that were given. For example, if you did not go back and reinstall the official UK 2.1 ROM update, you actually did not do everything exactly as I did it. (Yes, I know I said that was "optional", but I also informed you that I did it every time I installed this rom, so you have to consider that the problems you are having just might be solved by you doing it too.)

• Q: I did "it" and "it" didn't work. Any ideas?

A: Remember, if you don't give very specific details about what "it" is, it is very hard for other people to know how to help you. "The devil is in the details", so please give sufficient information for people to have a good idea what you are really asking and so they can narrow down the possibilities.

• Q: How long until the next version is released? I don't want to upgrade now and then have to do it again shortly.

A: How do I know?! :) (And I
    don't
    recommend you bug Tom G about that either.)

See something wrong above? Please let me know. I don't want to give out faulty information!

Edited by twrock

Hi, how do I know if A2SD is enable after typing 'a2sd check'? I got some messages of 'denied'.......! Thanks!

did you type 'su' befire command 'a2sd check'

su comnand gives you access

Guest starkos

Nice work twrock! This should help a lot of people by having all the basics/packages in one place & on the first post :)

I've also just posted a Gallery3D.apk & SoundRecorder.apk update.zip fix in the main CM6 thread (p72), so you may want to add that as well once it has been verified as definitely working...

Guest sun lbx

Why's the max CPU clock considered to be 691MHz?

Just asking :)

As for me, I think it could have been 780, or close to that.

It's not necessary for some people to have more that 691, but others, I think, should be able to set EXTREMELY high frequencies at their own risk.

What do you think?

Nice work twrock! This should help a lot of people by having all the basics/packages in one place & on the first post :)

I've also just posted a Gallery3D.apk & SoundRecorder.apk update.zip fix in the main CM6 thread (p72), so you may want to add that as well once it has been verified as definitely working...

Thanks. And I definitely will add that update to the list. In fact, it was part of my original plan. But then I got a "syntax" error while attempting to install it during my trials, and decided to work on that later. But that would really make it a nice package!

Unfortunately, I like to go through the whole process from start to finish before I tell people "it worked this way for me." So I'd have to go back to the beginning again, and that is a bit of a painful process. (Especially since I'm not even using the original CM rom for myself; I'm using my own modified version with Chinese support.)

Why's the max CPU clock considered to be 691MHz?

Just asking :)

As for me, I think it could have been 780, or close to that.

It's not necessary for some people to have more that 691, but others, I think, should be able to set EXTREMELY high frequencies at their own risk.

What do you think?

I don't see any reason why someone can't use a higher frequency kernel than the one I linked there. But, since I used that particular one and not another, I personally am not willing to say that some other version will work. I would want to verify it for myself first, and that is another full install from scratch. (And I'm a bit tired of working on it at the moment.) :)

So, please give it a try and let us know how it went for you. If I ever do go back and do it all over with a different kernel, I'll be sure to update the first post.

Guest starkos
Thanks. And I definitely will add that update to the list. In fact, it was part of my original plan. But then I got a "syntax" error while attempting to install it during my trials, and decided to work on that later. But that would really make it a nice package!

Unfortunately, I like to go through the whole process from start to finish before I tell people "it worked this way for me." So I'd have to go back to the beginning again, and that is a bit of a painful process. (Especially since I'm not even using the original CM rom for myself; I'm using my own modified version with Chinese support.)

Cool, the syntax error should be fixed now, just waiting for confirmation in that thread..

Guest torpedro

i have a big problem, and i tried everything...

when i install OC the phone only loops, never startups to froyo system. I have tried everything, i follow this guide, install uk official,tried with ext 2 and ext 3 partitions, swap....

I have all ok, but the OC dont.

What can i do more?

waiting feedback

best regards

Guest sun lbx

This 691 CM kernel works.

Flibble's (if i'm right) 710 fixed CM kernel works.

-----

-----

Quake III Arena

--

Non-OC: 13FPS average

691MHz: 19FPS average

710MHz: 20FPS average

--

Whom gamers should say "Pleeease, make a faster kernel for us to have tempting 24fps! :) :) :("

?

i have a big problem, and i tried everything...

when i install OC the phone only loops, never startups to froyo system. I have tried everything, i follow this guide, install uk official,tried with ext 2 and ext 3 partitions, swap....

I have all ok, but the OC dont.

What can i do more?

waiting feedback

best regards

It's hard to say what is wrong. It could be something as simple as you don't actually have a Huawei U8220, but I don't have enough information from you to know that. Assuming you have the same phone as me, I have every reason to believe you can get it to work by following the guide precisely.

But from your description, I see that you did try ext3 as an option. If you go back and look at the details of the guide, you will notice that ext3 will not work. Only ext2 will work with the instructions in this guide. (There is a way to get ext3 to work, but that is not covered in this guide.)

I don't suggest that you try "everything" again. Almost every time I have run into a problem in these many months of learning how to do stuff was because I either didn't understand what I was being told to do, or because I made a mistake, or because I thought I could do it differently than I was being told.

So without any more information than you wrote, all I can suggest is that you go back to the very top of this guide and follow it again, exactly as it is written. Change nothing. Don't skip any steps. And because you have had trouble already, I can only suggest that you start completely over with installing the official UK 2.1 updata.app update and re-downloading all the files (particularly that OC kernel file). That may seem like overkill, but who knows what problem might be solved if you start over.

Please come back and let us know how you solved it after you do get it working. Share the knowledge; it might help someone else someday.

Good luck.

What's about the rotating bug? Are you using a working gallery?

Please read what Starkos wrote in the posts above yours.

Edited by twrock

Guest bedevil99

Hi, could anyone tell me how can I set my cpu back to 691Mhz? I followed the process as described above but then I was messing about with SetCPU and now I can't get the max frequency higher than 528Mhz?

Edit: Thank you but I have already managed

Edited by bedevil99

Hi, could anyone tell me how can I set my cpu back to 691Mhz? I followed the process as described above but then I was messing about with SetCPU and now I can't get the max frequency higher than 528Mhz?

just disable (not quite the word erm just uncheck use of profiles or start on boot say) the settings in cpu and restart the oc kernel should reset to 691

What's about the rotating bug? Are you using a working gallery?

A link to Starkos' Gallery3D & SoundRecorder fix has been added to the original post.

For the record, I did go back and do the install all over again to make sure it would work with that addition. It does.

Enjoy.

Guest my_u8220
A link to Starkos' Gallery3D & SoundRecorder fix has been added to the original post.

For the record, I did go back and do the install all over again to make sure it would work with that addition. It does.

Enjoy.

Ok, I have CM6.1 (beta 0.30) and DTA2SD installed. However, the widget of 'Weather & Toggle' could not be displayed again on Home screen after reboot. Is this a bug? Can someone tell me how to fix it? Thanks!

Guest TehOsiris

-----

-----

Quake III Arena

--

--

Whom gamers should say "Pleeease, make a faster kernel for us to have tempting 24fps! :) :) :("

?

+1 :(

where can i find resources about cpu governing, limiting and it's relations to the kernel?

Guest DanWilson

-----

-----

Quake III Arena

--

--

?

30FPS possible?

With a 780MHz kernel? (The Pulses MAX)

Guest DanWilson
it really should be tbh.

also 780 would help out a lot to improve Reckless Racing fps :]

But it'd reduce the seconds for frames. (The battery life :) )