19/Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root

Guest PaulOBrien

visionary.r14.png

What is VISIONary?

VISIONary (so named because it was originally an application designed for the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision) is an application you install on your device that allows you to Temproot or optionally Permroot your device, using the 'rageagainstthecage' exploit.

How do I use it?

It's pretty simple really. The options appear as follows:
  • Temproot on boot - use this to automatically Temproot on each boot (I suggest Temprooting manually first to confirm all is well before enabling this)
  • Run visionary.sh after root - this allows you to run a script (as root) after rooting. The script file is /data/local/visionary.sh
  • Set system r/w after root - this allows you to leave the /system partition read/write after root
  • Temproot now - root temporarily (the root wil be lost after reboot)
  • Attempt permroot now - attempt to apply a permanent root (please read the safety information below before doing this!)
  • Unroot now - this will unroot your device

You use VISIONary at your own risk! Although we test it as much as possible, we are unable to guarantee that weird things won't happen.

As a rule, the 'Temproot' option of VISIONary should be completely safe. It installs an application (Superuser) in the conventional way and then sets up a 'ramdisk' for the other parts, which is wiped on boot. As such, no changes are made to the system partition of your device, hence it is considered a 'safe options'.

Permroot on the other hand is inherently more risky. Permroot does make changes to the /system partition of your device. Technically speaking the only change that is made is the installation of a small file to /system/xbin, but any system partition change comes with risks. If you try to permroot, be aware that you might get into a situation where your device will not boot. For this reason, we recommend you have a 'safety net'.

In general, the best 'safety net' for going ahead and doing a Permroot is ensuring that you have a copy of the stock ROM to reinstall should things go wrong. This should be an original update EXE or zip from your device manufacturer / provider which matches the software version currently installed on your device. Bear in mind that flashing older versions is often not possible, so if your device has been updated over-the-air, an update may not yet be available in this form. Hence, you may not be able to find a 'safety net' and attempting to Permroot would be inherently risky. For HTC devices at least, one option would be to Temproot, edit the MISC partition to revert the 'mainver' to an older version, thereby allowing you to flash an update older than the currently installed version should things go wrong. That option is currently outside the scope of this post, although I will provide details on how to accomplish this in another post.

Got your safety net? Aware of the risks? The download is below.

Download
    • r14 - (see changelog below for details) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: abc88d92524a6eeebda1f8908f1e0725
    • The download is in APK format (if it is downloaded with a 'zip' extension simply rename). Copy to your device and click to install (or run 'adb install -r com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk' if you have the SDK installed).

NOTE: USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

And finally

If you would like to support VISIONary (and other MoDaCo work), please consider signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free / MoDaCo Plus account.

Enjoy!

P

Changelog

r14

• Minor fixes, wider release version
  • Information post updated
    • Test release is now the default
      • Temproot is now the default
      • Added option to try to Permroot (test on Desire HD, Desire Z and G2)
      • After permroot, required kernel module is placed in /data/local for your convenience
      • Added option to unroot
      • Note: this does NOT rewrite your hboot - you will need to do this manually to get S-OFF.
        • Added option to mount system r/w on boot (subject to the usual NAND / eMMC lock limitations)
        • Added option to enable / disable visionary.sh on boot
          • Now permanent rather than temp on non NAND/EMMC locked devices
          • Default launch now loads preference screen, where 'run on boot' can be configured
          • Other minor fixes
            • Much faster - thanks lilHermit for your help with the native code
              • More optimisations - please re-read inital post for an update.

• Far more reliable root sequence
                • r6

[*]Optimisations

r5 - MAJOR UPDATE!

[*]Process is now faster and ultra reliable!

[*]Run on boot can now be toggled from the main screen

[*]Application will no longer let you root if you're already rooted

r4

[*]Changes for Market compability (regular download not updated).

r3

[*]Application now warns if USB debugging is not enabled

r2

[*]Added run-on-boot version

[*]Now using tmpfs for reliability (thanks disconn3ct)

[*]Superuser.apk now lives on /data/app so settings persist (thanks disconn3ct)

r1

[*]Initial Release

Nice - is it planned that VISIONary will eventually be a one click or super simple solution for the perma-root instead of having to run commands manually, like your bookloader unlocker for the N1?

I just tried the r12 version of VISIONary+ and now I have a problem.

I tried the permroot option which seemed to go through the motions and triggered a reboot (as expected). However, I don't have permroot, the temproot option tells me I'm already rooted, and the unroot option does nothing. Is there any way I can fix this without doing a factory reset?

Guest Genghis

r12 gave me permroot on my Desire Z without issues.

Temprooted first, then tried to permroot, and after some reboots: working.

No issues so far.

a huge THANK YOU @ Paul

Guest Abra Cadabra
r12 gave me permroot on my Desire Z without issues.

Temprooted first, then tried to permroot, and after some reboots: working.

No issues so far.

Same for me. r12 gave me permroot with no issues at all.

2 clicks - First temp root, then perm root. Thats all.

Thanks Paul.

EDIT: Now FIXED using the r13 version of VISIONary+ linked in the G2 forum which ignores the "already rooted" check in temproot. I was able to temproot, attempt to unroot (which worked fine and rebooted the phone as expected), temproot again, and then permroot which now works perfectly. One difference this time around is that I turned Fastboot off in settings - would that have made a difference? Otherwise it's all working now - excellent work Paul! :rolleyes:

I'm still stuck with this problem. Even if I Factory Reset the phone through the boot menu (power + vol-down) I still don't have permroot and Visionary won't temproot, informing me that the phone is already rooted. The only thing I can think of is that I did not do temproot first prior to doing "Try Permroot".

I initially ran VISIONary+ on the phone without any other modification attempts being made, and temproot was working fine in the previous version.

What can I do to investigate this problem further? is there a way I can get the phone to true factory settings (seeing as Factory Reset won't do that now!) so I can do the process again, or steps I can take to revert the permroot attempt by VISIONary+?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by H4XTBH

Guest ThatAJGuy

hey, I'm having an issue dling the VISIONary R12. when i log into the site on my HTC Desire Z the download link is "temporarily offline" but it's enabled on my computers web browser. Is there any reasoning for this and is there an alternate downloading method?

EDIT: AH I got it now!

Edited by ThatAJGuy

Guest Richard Dickens

Quick question: If I use Visionary to permaroot my Desire Z, does it still execute /data/local/visionary.sh on subsequent reboots?

I'm trying to install the overclock kernel module on every reboot but it doesn't seem to work.

R.

Hello, I am having trouble trying to unroot. I press unroot now and the device doesnt reboot.. What am I doing wrong?

Device is an HTC Desire Z on Bell

Thank you

Guest SozzaSinnian

Your device won't reboot if your doing a temp root nfoman.

Once you have done the temp root, click the perm root if you wish it to be permanent and then your device will reboot. If you don't want permanent then you need to root each time you reboot :rolleyes:

Your device won't reboot if your doing a temp root nfoman.

Once you have done the temp root, click the perm root if you wish it to be permanent and then your device will reboot. If you don't want permanent then you need to root each time you reboot :rolleyes:

I did the perm root as well but I cant run any shell commands such as su etc. If I install superuser by itself, it says no apps in list

Thanks

Guest SozzaSinnian

If SuperUser is opening then your set.

First time you run 'adb shell' then '# su' keep an eye on your phones screen as you will have to accept the '# su' request.

EDIT: Typo (phones dictionary auto 'corrected' SuperUser to SuperSede...)

Edited by SozzaSinnian

Hopefully this log will help in any way, ran it through adb with logcat. I launched visionary and tapped unroot now and below is the log of ONLY tapping unroot now. Any help is appreciated as it doesnt unroot the device.

$ getprop ro.secure

getprop ro.secure

$
I/ActivityManager( 1317): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.modaco.visionaryplus/.unroot }

D/ProcessManager( 1941): executeProcess(): waiting for child process ...

D/ProcessManager( 2370): executeProcess(): in child process ...

D/ProcessManager( 2370): executeProcess(): in child process, after dup2()

D/ProcessManager( 2370): executeProcess(): in child process, after closePipes()

D/ProcessManager( 2370): executeProcess(): in child process, after fcntl()

D/ProcessManager( 2370): closeNonStandardFds(): skipFd=[49]

D/ProcessManager( 2370): closeNonStandardFds(): after getrlimit(): RLIMIT_NOFILE=[7], rlim_max=[1024]

D/ProcessManager( 1941): executeProcess(): read child status count=[0], result=[0]

D/ProcessManager( 2371): executeProcess(): in child process ...

D/ProcessManager( 2371): executeProcess(): in child process, after dup2()

D/ProcessManager( 2371): executeProcess(): in child process, after closePipes()

D/ProcessManager( 2371): executeProcess(): in child process, after fcntl()

D/ProcessManager( 2371): closeNonStandardFds(): skipFd=[52]

D/ProcessManager( 2371): closeNonStandardFds(): after getrlimit(): RLIMIT_NOFILE=[7], rlim_max=[1024]

D/ProcessManager( 1941): executeProcess(): read child status count=[0], result=[0]

D/ProcessManager( 2372): executeProcess(): in child process ...

D/ProcessManager( 2372): executeProcess(): in child process, after dup2()

D/ProcessManager( 2372): executeProcess(): in child process, after closePipes()

D/ProcessManager( 2372): executeProcess(): in child process, after fcntl()

D/ProcessManager( 2372): closeNonStandardFds(): skipFd=[55]

D/ProcessManager( 2372): closeNonStandardFds(): after getrlimit(): RLIMIT_NOFILE=[7], rlim_max=[1024]

W/InputManagerService( 1317): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@47aa9228

Edited by nfoman

Guest mr_bridger

Finally got my Z. Yay! But now im in need of rooting it, and possibly installing clockwork recovery. Not to fussed at this stage about flashing any roms tho.

Whats the best course of action? I see r11, r12, and now even a r13 version of visionary. And versions being pulled??!! Which one to use?? Saw on xda a few peeps bricking their Z's. Worries me a bit. Never had a prob with rooting my G1 or blade but i see Z is a little different??

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Ross.

Guest SozzaSinnian

The r13 you are refering to was for the G2. If anyone has bricked there phones it's most likely from using the wrong versions for there phones. While the Desire Z and G2 are both the same hardware and can run the same roms etc, out of the box they come with completely different setups and kernals. Some software such as this is compiled for a certain kernal so if you run the G2 version on your Desire Z, or vice versa, expect something to go wrong lol

Do a search for "perm root desire z stridger" on Google and the first link that comes up should be his guide for the Desire Z B)

Guest AlThePost

r14 worked perfectly on my own Desire Z (software v1.34.405.5, kernel v2.6.32.21 dated 26/10/2010). Installed, gained temp root, attempted perm root.... job done. B)

Guest RyanMacG

Having an issue with permroot on r14. Temproot takes fine and I can use to to access su in the terminal etc. When I click on permroot though it goes through the reboot but no root :/ Superuser is still there but nothing can get root persmissions...

EDIT: (Rage also fails) This is on a VF branded Z with the following info:

Hboot = 0.85.0005

Radio/baseband = 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.26_M

Build No. = 1.34.161.6

Kernel = 2.6.32.21 -g9d69527 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1 Fri Oct 29 14:49:32 CST 2010

Both the Kernel and ROM are different from other versions. I can provide a dump if someone can tell me how to do it.

Edited by RyanMacG

Guest mr. winterbottom

Hello,

I've an AdFree Account but I can't download r14 for my Desire Z

When I click the link "download" i get a another site and here come only hieroglyphics

What's that ????

mr. winterbottom

Guest trench619

Okay, first time poster here. Thanks to everyone trying to figure out how to get the most out of our phones with all you hard work. With that said, I’m a little worried I might have messed something up.

I downloaded the VISIONary r14 file and followed instructions on how to install. I at first temporary rooted my HTC T-Mobile G2 because I was worried about having issues with the install. The temp root went well. I searched around the net to find out how I could tell if my phone was rooted correctly. I was told to download a "Terminal Emulator”, open it up, type SU and press enter. If it jumped down a line and a # symbol appeared then I would know I had gained root access. I typed SU and it jumped down a line and displayed # just like I was told.

After that went so well, I decided to permanently root my phone. I clicked on “permanently root” and the program did its business and re-booted my phone. The phone came back up and seemed to function just fine. I then went back to the terminal emulator and again typed SU to see if I got the same results. This time when I type SU I get an error message saying “Permission Denied”. Now I’m worried, lol.

Does this mean that the permeate root I performed didn’t work properly?

Guest trench619

I guess I might not be sure eon how to exactly permanently root the phone. It looks like I have to temporarily root the phone before I can permanently root it. After I have temp rooted the phone, do I need to check any of the boxes before clicking permanently root? The boxes I’m talking about are; Temproot on boot, Run visionary.Sh after root, and set system r/w after root.

This is driving me crazy. The temp root seems to work, but the permanently doesn’t. I also have been trying to use SetCpu, but I can’t move the speed slider over 800MHz, which I believe is the stock for the HTC G2.

Please help. Like I said, I’m kind of new to this all and this is my first post. Never been to this forum before so im not sure if anyone frequents this place much… I hope so.

Guest Thomas Jacob

Hi Paul,

Am new here and I have a Nexus One. It is not tied to any specific telecom service provider. Want to root it for the purpose of installing custom MOD CM6.1. Tried Superboot, fastboot-windows, VISIONary, no luck. Any pointers? Phone info:

Android 2.2.1

Build number FRG83D

NEXUSONE PVT SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.35.0017

MICROP-0b15

Do you need any more info?

Thomas

Edited by Thomas Jacob

Guest Thomas Jacob
Hi Paul,

Am new here and I have a Nexus One. It is not tied to any specific telecom service provider. Want to root it for the purpose of installing custom MOD CM6.1. Tried Superboot, fastboot-windows, VISIONary, no luck. Any pointers? Phone info:

Android 2.2.1

Build number FRG83D

NEXUSONE PVT SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.35.0017

MICROP-0b15

Do you need any more info?

Thomas

Hi Paul,

got it! the problem was the android sdk usb driver for windows was not properly installed. Did it and now am free......

Thomas