Acer Liquid E - Official Android 2.2 Froyo ROM - Fido

Guest mickster777

Guest mickster777

This is only for the FIDO ROM!

As you may all know, the official Froyo ROMs for Rogers and Fido have been released on Acer Canada's website. However, you won't be able to upgrade if you are not currently running the stock ROM from Rogers / Fido. This is because the developers at Acer put in assert checks to make sure you are upgrading from a stock Rogers / Fido ROM.

I'm sure a lot of you here are in the same boat as me and running a custom Froyo leak, which won't be able to upgrade directly using the official Acer Froyo ROM. But worry no more, I was able to modify some of the scripts and work around the assert checks.

Info

Enough of the rambling, here's the information for this ROM:

Baseband version: A1-05.01.05

Kernel version: 2.6.29

Build number: Acer_LiquidE_4.004.04_PA_FIDO

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03DEQV74

Instructions

To upgrade, simply download the file from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card. Then, enter recovery mode (volume down + camera + power button). I flashed this using Malez Recovery, but it should also work if you have the original recovery. It should flash directly (without the need to bypass signing checks), as I've re-signed the file after modifying it.

Notes

One thing you may notice though is that the preset Fido 3G internet APNs don't work... this is simple to fix, just create a new APN with the following settings:

Internet

Name: Fido Internet

APN: internet.fido.ca

Username: fido

Password: fido

APN Type: default

Leave all other settings blank

MMS

Name: Fido MMS

APN: mms.fido.ca

MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca

MMS Proxy: 205.151.011.013

APN Type: mms

Happy upgrading!

As you may all know, the official Froyo ROMs for Rogers and Fido have been released on Acer Canada's website. However, you won't be able to upgrade if you are not currently running the stock ROM from Rogers / Fido. This is because the developers at Acer put in assert checks to make sure you are upgrading from a stock Rogers / Fido ROM.

Happy upgrading!

Update not good. I had malez installed and rooted stock eclair 2.1

I tried updating to the stock 2.2 from acers' website. But as mentioned here, unless its a clean system (no root, nothing at all), it wouldn't update. So i followed this update.

It did update, but now its become really glitchy. the menu options touch key doesn't seem to work. the apn's are locked up and i can't modify them. I'm going to clean it out and install LCR. And the power off key doesn't work. Don't think i did anything wrong here.

The update seems quite simple. Copied file, went into recovery. Malez recognized the update. Update completed giving me option to restart. After Restart, it was just horrible. Although i did notice the speed difference in how certain menu animation and responsivness was better compared to 2.1. Its still glitchy.

Edited by XyodaX

Guest mickster777

I'm sorry to hear the update didn't go smoothly... Did you try to do a clean hard reset? If not, turn off the phone first, then hold the power button until it vibrates. Then, quickly press both up and down volume keys together. You'll then be presented with a clean reset menu.

Let me know how it goes.

I'm sorry to hear the update didn't go smoothly... Did you try to do a clean hard reset? If not, turn off the phone first, then hold the power button until it vibrates. Then, quickly press both up and down volume keys together. You'll then be presented with a clean reset menu.

Let me know how it goes.

Just tried the hard reset you said. It seems similar to the reset provided in the default recovery mode. It clears user data and clears cache. I'm also unable install malez recovery for some reason. I seem to have the stock android recovery tool. Seems like the update removed malez. Is this possible ?

And i noticed the all the touch sensitive keys at the bottom seem to act as the back key or something for some reason. On the home screen, if i touch any of those keys or press the power button, the screen goes blank for 2 seconds and comes back on. When i'm inside some menu and i press any of the touch keys, it seems to go back on the menu tree.

Any idea what's going on ?

Guest mickster777
Just tried the hard reset you said. It seems similar to the reset provided in the default recovery mode. It clears user data and clears cache. I'm also unable install malez recovery for some reason. I seem to have the stock android recovery tool. Seems like the update removed malez. Is this possible ?

And i noticed the all the touch sensitive keys at the bottom seem to act as the back key or something for some reason. On the home screen, if i touch any of those keys or press the power button, the screen goes blank for 2 seconds and comes back on. When i'm inside some menu and i press any of the touch keys, it seems to go back on the menu tree.

Any idea what's going on ?

As far as I know, this version of the ROM is not compatible with Malez... other people who were able to flash it with the official ROM also got the stock recovery.

The buttons going funky is indeed a strange issue. I didn't experience any of them. What I did was right after I flashed the ROM, I immediately did a hard reset. This is what I usually do after flashing a new ROM so that the phone is in a fresh state. What I would recommend doing now is re-flashing the ROM. You should be able to copy over the update.zip file to your SD card and flash it using the stock recovery tool (volume -, camera, power button). After the flash is successful and the phone gets rebooted, turn it off and do the hard reset. See if this fixes the problem.

The stock update, i tried was from the acer website itself. While trying to update, i got a n error message saying status 2. I'm going to try running your update from the stock recovery right now. Also, is an update different from a ROM ? can i rename a rom zip file to update and make it update ? Is there any way to clear flash the recovery and ROM and put back in again ?

The stock update, i tried was from the acer website itself. While trying to update, i got a n error message saying status 2. I'm going to try running your update from the stock recovery right now. Also, is an update different from a ROM ? can i rename a rom zip file to update and make it update ? Is there any way to clear flash the recovery and ROM and put back in again ?

Oh no i can't update with your file. Says "signature verification failed" .

Guest mickster777

Ah, I believe Android 2.2 added a different sign verification and self-signed update.zip files won't work, so you won't be able to do it that way. I guess the only way left is to flash back to a Froyo leak BIN file using the Acer Download Tool. Then, if you'd like, you can try to upgrade using my update.zip again (or even try a different update.zip provided by other members).

Sorry it has to come down to this for you...

Edited by mickster777

This is going to sound wierd. But what's the acer download tool ? Where do i get it ? I have seen it mentioned quite often. All i know of is the acer sync software and drivers.

Guest mickster777

The Acer Download Tool is used to flash ROMs in BIN format. You can get it from the LCR's site: http://lcr-team.org/v1/index.php?site=files&file=17.

Here are the steps to flash a BIN file:

1. Download the latest Froyo leak BIN file. You can get it here: http://www.multiupload.com/1OHMSF6CPE.

2. Download the Acer Download Tool and extract it (http://lcr-team.org/v1/index.php?site=files&file=17). There should be a file called "ACER Download Tool [single].exe". If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need to run it as an Administrator. Right click on the file, and choose "Run as administrator". If you are using Windows XP, just click it to run.

3. Click "Browse" and choose the ROM you downloaded in step 1. Then, with your Liquid E turned on, connect it using the factory USB. On the bottom of the Acer Download Tool program, it should turn green and say "Connected". Click on "Start" to begin flashing.

4. Leave the phone on until the flash process is complete. The program will tell you when it's done and it's safe to disconnect the USB cable. After a successful flash, the phone will restart and you should be presented with the Welcome wizard. The flash process should take around 5 to 10 minutes. Note that the first time it starts, you may be stuck at the "ANDROID" splash screen for a while... don't panic, it'll proceed after about 2 minutes.

5. I would recommend doing a clean reset after the flash. Turn off the phone, hold the power button until it vibrates, then quickly press volume down and volume up together. Follow the onscreen instructions.

6. After everything works, you can now install the Malez Recovery image if you want: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez-recovery.

At this stage, you can try again to update to the official Fido Froyo that I provided if you want. Otherwise, you can just use the Froyo leak ROM you just flashed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This is going to sound wierd. But what's the acer download tool ? Where do i get it ? I have seen it mentioned quite often. All i know of is the acer sync software and drivers.

THIS IS AWESOME ! I GOT IT TO WORK.

I used the acer download tool here. I found a bin file - Acer_LiquidE_4.504b.00_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05.bin

from here

Instructions were that it be used for non european liquid. It works perfectly with mine (FIDO Liquid E). Got 2.2 and the latest baseband. the only problem i noticed was when i tried to check the device information. It doesn't have any information on the processor, RAM etc. I used another app to monitor the processor speed just in case it wasn't clocking the speeds right. It seems to be working just fine. The radio/wifi seems to be working too.

Will update if i find some other problems.

Liking the speed boost though. Hope i get a battery boost from it too..

SORRY I went on to look for the files my self. Didint think anyone else in canada would be up at 4-5 in the morning.

PS: I noticed before the last update, that i had an older baseband (some 4.0 something) Now i have the 5.0. It seems like for some reason the update didn't go through completely. But yea i got it working in the end. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by XyodaX

Hi

anyone else have any luck with this? I get the assert error? Is there any step by step instructions? I'm afraid of following the above steps and getting the weird behaviour of buttons not working because when I tried the 2.2 leaked version it wouldn't work well on my Fido Liquid E.

I have Malez installed and it seems to be causing the problem. Is there any way to uninstall malez or any other way so I can upgrade to 2.2?

Thanks

I have 2.1 Fido Liquid E with Malez installed. that's it.

Edit: I got it to work by flashing like 10 different versions and then installing the version by Alan0. Thanks

Edited by hurric

Guest wapityyy
The Acer Download Tool is used to flash ROMs in BIN format. You can get it from the LCR's site: http://lcr-team.org/v1/index.php?site=files&file=17.

1. Download the latest Froyo leak BIN file. You can get it here: http://www.multiupload.com/1OHMSF6CPE.

2. Download the Acer Download Tool and extract it (http://lcr-team.org/v1/index.php?site=files&file=17). There should be a file called "ACER Download Tool [single].exe". If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need to run it as an Administrator. Right click on the file, and choose "Run as administrator". If you are using Windows XP, just click it to run.

3. Click "Browse" and choose the ROM you downloaded in step 1. Then, with your Liquid E turned on, connect it using the factory USB. On the bottom of the Acer Download Tool program, it should turn green and say "Connected". Click on "Start" to begin flashing.

4. Leave the phone on until the flash process is complete. The program will tell you when it's done and it's safe to disconnect the USB cable. After a successful flash, the phone will restart and you should be presented with the Welcome wizard. The flash process should take around 5 to 10 minutes. Note that the first time it starts, you may be stuck at the "ANDROID" splash screen for a while... don't panic, it'll proceed after about 2 minutes.

5. I would recommend doing a clean reset after the flash. Turn off the phone, hold the power button until it vibrates, then quickly press volume down and volume up together. Follow the onscreen instructions.

6. After everything works, you can now install the Malez Recovery image if you want: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez-recovery.

At this stage, you can try again to update to the official Fido Froyo that I provided if you want. Otherwise, you can just use the Froyo leak ROM you just flashed.

Hi, I am with Fido and at first I had the signature problem (it was a stock Liquid E). I then followed step by step this guide and it totally works.

Good job, thanks.

Guest Harness
Anyone released a modifed Rogers ROM? I am having this same issue.

I have, plus the Malez recovery fix.

Rom:

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...om-rogers-only/

Malez Fix:

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...z-recovery-fix/

If you have the Malez Recovery issue on Fido, you can flash my fix just the same.

Edited by Harness

• 1 month later...
Guest hassanfuj

thnx bro mickster777 i did what u explained

i have a problem regarding my Acer Liquid e ferrari sp ed. with software emea c4f

it was loaded with android eclair 2.1, by using acer upload tool i uploaded froyo emea gen1 to my mobile and successfully did it. BUT my ferrai image was lost.

so my question is

can i revert to acer liquid e ferrari anderoid 2.1 operating system i.e emea c4f

or

can i get the ferrari edition bin file for my 2.2 emea gen1or

can i get the ferrari edition bin file for any 2.1 eclair for eg. emea g1f 2.1 which is for france

i have found a melez recovery ferrari image file on the melez website which u mentioned but i wonder what it is? and if i can use it? then how?

plz. help me in getting my ferrari image back.

thnx and regards

Guest Dr. John Iscar

I have tried this process and I get the error message from the ACER flash program "There is not enough space on your disk" - any suggestions? IIt seems to be stuck in updating and I have tried both the SD update and this flash update on a Fido Liquid E which did have 2.1 on and working before I started to try and update to 2.2.

Thanks.

Chris.

Guest theshowman

Thanks.

I upgraded from an LCR 2.2 to the stock ROM using your procedure (OP post #1) and your modified update.zip file.

It seems to have upgraded successfully (haven't given it a full test yet, but I don't see some of the issues with responsiveness (or lack there of) or button issues as another member had seen)

I have a question though, with your update.zip, does it mean that it is now a truly official and stock seeming ROM. ie., if future updates are released by FIDO, will it update properly or will it barf like it did before when coming from a leaked ROM?

Also, is there a sense to re-flash the stock ROM (2.2 upgrade) from FIDO, back onto this ROM (can it even be done?) to make it official, official ;) ?

thanks again for your help.

Edited by theshowman

Guest mickster777
I have a question though, with your update.zip, does it mean that it is now a truly official and stock seeming ROM. ie., if future updates are released by FIDO, will it update properly or will it barf like it did before when coming from a leaked ROM?

Yes, with this procedure I believe you will be able to receive future updates released by Fido. When upgrading the ROM, it checks for your ROM's image name, which now is the Fido version.

Also, is there a sense to re-flash the stock ROM (2.2 upgrade) from FIDO, back onto this ROM (can it even be done?) to make it official, official ;) ?

This can probably be done, but I don't really see a point in doing this.

Guest mickster777
thnx bro mickster777 i did what u explained

i have a problem regarding my Acer Liquid e ferrari sp ed. with software emea c4f

it was loaded with android eclair 2.1, by using acer upload tool i uploaded froyo emea gen1 to my mobile and successfully did it. BUT my ferrai image was lost.

so my question is

can i revert to acer liquid e ferrari anderoid 2.1 operating system i.e emea c4f

or

can i get the ferrari edition bin file for my 2.2 emea gen1or

can i get the ferrari edition bin file for any 2.1 eclair for eg. emea g1f 2.1 which is for france

i have found a melez recovery ferrari image file on the melez website which u mentioned but i wonder what it is? and if i can use it? then how?

plz. help me in getting my ferrari image back.

thnx and regards

You'll need to flash it with an image made for the Ferrari edition. See this post http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...act-collection/ for the latest Ferrari ROM.

• 1 month later...
Guest Slappyjoe

I'm sure a lot of you here are in the same boat as me and running a custom Froyo leak, which won't be able to upgrade directly using the official Acer Froyo ROM. But worry no more, I was able to modify some of the scripts and work around the assert checks.

Info

Enough of the rambling, here's the information for this ROM:

Baseband version: A1-05.01.05

Kernel version: 2.6.29

Build number: Acer_LiquidE_4.004.04_PA_FIDO

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03DEQV74

Instructions

To upgrade, simply download the file from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card. Then, enter recovery mode (volume down + camera + power button). I flashed this using Malez Recovery, but it should also work if you have the original recovery. It should flash directly (without the need to bypass signing checks), as I've re-signed the file after modifying it.

Notes

One thing you may notice though is that the preset Fido 3G internet APNs don't work... this is simple to fix, just create a new APN with the following settings:

Internet

Name: Fido Internet

APN: internet.fido.ca

Username: fido

Password: fido

APN Type: default

MMS

Name: Fido MMS

APN: mms.fido.ca

MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca

MMS Proxy: 205.151.011.013

APN Type: mms

Happy upgrading!

Hey Thanks a lot man! It worked flawlessly! I already had Malez recovery installed on my Acer Liquid E. But the ROM that I had didn't have WiFi working :huh:. So I Flashed your ROM, which installed without any hitches, and afterwards I did a hard reset. AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS!!!! My Acer Liquid E is back! I didn't even have to manual enter the APN and MMS info....it found the network automatically!

Thanks so much! :)

• 10 months later...

I need a link to this rom but stupid idiotic american government shut down megaupload.

Can someone please post a link to this on a trackerless torrent or something?

• 2 months later...
Guest krysek

I need a link to this rom but stupid idiotic american government shut down megaupload.

Can someone please post a link to this on a trackerless torrent or something?

I am looking for this file too.

Can anyone ? PLEASE