32gb sd and SF

Guest sikhcentral

Guest oh!dougal
Sorry for this noobish...

what are/is ext2?

A linux-y type of disk formatting.

So the linux-y android can work with it relatively simply, which is important for fancy tricks.

Its not a way of laying out the contents of a disk that comes naturally to Micro$oft.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest nicksoph

Ok, I've managed to get an 8gb MicroSD, do I just copy the files from the 2gb on to it then see if it works?

yes -

Make sure you can see hidden files

copy 2GBsd card to pc

Swap in new card

copy files to new card

Guest FrankieADZ
yes -

Make sure you can see hidden files

copy 2GBsd card to pc

Swap in new card

copy files to new card

Thanks for the help :P

I shall try it after a Bacon sarnie and report back on here...if it helps anyone :D

Guest dadashi

Format the card using "sd formatter" and then make a small 300MB~500MB Ext2 partition at the end of the card for apps2sd using "partition wizard". Both software are free to download, just google.

Guest FrankieADZ
Format the card using "sd formatter" and then make a small 300MB~500MB Ext2 partition at the end of the card for apps2sd using "partition wizard". Both software are free to download, just google.

But doesnt the 2.2 rom allow this feature without me doing the partition?

Well i formatted the 8gb i had to Fat32 then copied my files onto it and it work fine on my San Fran. :P

Guest whoop_whoop

I've had my SF for 2 days now and I can say my 32Gb card works fine! Loaded about 2Gb on there so far, but Astro and Android settings have recognised the 32Gb and I've had no issues. I also loaded some ISOs I had to ensure it wasn't a fake (although it still might be!).

For those interested this is the card I bought: LINK-A-RAMA

Guest nicksoph
But doesnt the 2.2 rom allow this feature without me doing the partition?

Well i formatted the 8gb i had to Fat32 then copied my files onto it and it work fine on my San Fran. :P

Hi Frankie

Yes the 2.2 roms mostly use an apps to Fat application which is ok for most peps.

In the Market there is an app - sd card speed tester. The development has stopped but it is still available as a free version

If you dont mind;

Id be interested to know.

what class card you have, what you used to format the sd card and what speeds sd card speed tester reports

Thnaks

Edited by nicksoph

Guest FrankieADZ
Hi Frankie

Yes the 2.2 roms mostly use an apps to Fat application which is ok for most peps.

In the Market there is an app - sd card speed tester. The development has stopped but it is still available as a free version

If you dont mind;

Id be interested to know.

what class card you have, what you used to format the sd card and what speeds sd card speed tester reports

Thnaks

I have a Sandisk 8gb card, I used just normal format card on windows 7, used formatted to Fat32.

the tester says the write speed is 9MB/s and reading 12MB/s. unknown class....im pretty sure it is class 2 tho, said it on the box.

gonna try partition my card tomorrow i think. Hopefully i'll be able to do it on my windows PC

31.2 is absolutely normal ...

In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

Most memory sticks and cards calculate the size where 1GB = 1000 MB instead of the usual 1024 MB that is used for hard drives.

Guest nicksoph
I have a Sandisk 8gb card, I used just normal format card on windows 7, used formatted to Fat32.

the tester says the write speed is 9MB/s and reading 12MB/s. unknown class....im pretty sure it is class 2 tho, said it on the box.

gonna try partition my card tomorrow i think. Hopefully i'll be able to do it on my windows PC

Hi

IMHO dont do anything

you are using a froyo rom so it has apps2SD FAT program built in - Im fairly sure you can find a methid to install a Fat2SD EXT but it wont be easy witout guidance.

If you are getting those speeds out of a Class 2 then you should be very happy

The minimum class that is recommended for a fat3sd partion is in fact 4

The numbers you are showing are (off the top of my head) way above the speeds of a class 4 device

Guest FrankieADZ
Hi

IMHO dont do anything

you are using a froyo rom so it has apps2SD FAT program built in - Im fairly sure you can find a methid to install a Fat2SD EXT but it wont be easy witout guidance.

If you are getting those speeds out of a Class 2 then you should be very happy

The minimum class that is recommended for a fat3sd partion is in fact 4

The numbers you are showing are (off the top of my head) way above the speeds of a class 4 device

im not using a froyo rom, im using the r4 atm WITHOUT the A2SD feature. but tomorrow im gonna install the r4 rom with A2SD feature

You can use

ADB shell

From your PC when the phone is connected then you can run

dmesg

From that shell.

OK - here's my DMESG output. I don't fully understand it, though I don't have the errors mentioned.

11-27 13:36:41.608428] FAT: unable to read inode block for updating (i_pos 3481614)

[11-27 13:36:41.648407] rms:mmc_queue_thread: failed to get status (-110) maybe the card is removed

[11-27 13:36:41.858398] [msm-audio:audio_out.c:audio_dsp_event] PCMDMAMISSED 32

[11-27 13:36:41.888397] mmc0: card fe8a removed

[11-27 13:36:41.888397] rms:mmc_blk_remove 650

[11-27 13:36:41.888397] rms:remove_all_req 68 req 6

[11-27 13:36:41.898437] [msm-audio:audio_out.c:audio_dsp_event] PCMDMAMISSED 32

<snip: 9 more lines of this error>

[11-27 13:36:42.848480] FAT: Directory bread(block 16384) failed

[11-27 13:36:42.848480] FAT: Directory bread(block 16385) failed

<snip: basically same error, with block number incrementing>

[11-27 13:36:42.868408] FAT: Directory bread(block 16447) failed

[11-27 13:36:42.868408] FAT: FAT read failed (blocknr 1245)

[11-27 13:36:42.868408] [msm-audio:audio_out.c:audio_dsp_event] PCMDMAMISSED 32

<snip>

[11-27 13:36:42.988403] FAT: Directory bread(block 16447) failed

[11-27 13:36:42.988403] FAT: FAT read failed (blocknr 1245)

[11-27 13:36:43.208404] [msm-audio:audio_out.c:audio_disable]

[11-27 13:36:43.208404] [msm-audio:audio_out.c:audio_dsp_event] CFG_MSG DISABLE

[11-27 13:36:43.208404] [msm-audio:audpp.c:audpp_dsp_event] DISABLE

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [msm-audio:audpp.c:audpp_disable] Received CFG_MSG_DISABLE from ADSP

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [adsp:adsp.c:msm_adsp_disable] disable 'AUDPPTASK'

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [adsp:adsp.c:msm_adsp_disable_locked] chenjun:disable_locked:'AUDPPTASK'state[2]:id[17227122]:adsp_open_count=3

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [adsp:adsp.c:msm_adsp_disable_locked] chenjun:module'AUDPPTASK' to disabled

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [adsp:adsp.c:msm_adsp_disable_locked] chenjun:adsp_open_count=2

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [adsp:adsp.c:msm_adsp_put] closing module AUDPPTASK

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [msm-audio:audmgr.c:audmgr_disable] session 0x804e5290

[11-27 13:36:43.218658] [msm-audio:audmgr.c:audmgr_rpc_thread] rpc_reply status 0

[11-27 13:36:43.228393] [msm-audio:audmgr.c:process_audmgr_callback] DISABLED

[11-27 13:36:44.378417] binder: 10144:10320 transaction failed 29189, size52-0

[11-27 13:36:44.378417] binder: 10144:10320 transaction failed 29189, size52-0

[11-27 13:36:44.668396] binder: 10969:10969 transaction failed 29189, size88-0

[11-27 13:36:44.968444] mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.

[11-27 13:36:44.968444] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address fe8a

[11-27 13:36:45.008392] mmcblk1: mmc0:fe8a SU32G 29.7 GiB

Guest whoop_whoop
Is there a definitive answer to if and what 32GB card works with the SF?

Does for me, see a few posts back. Not had any issues with it so for and I've written about 4Gb to it. I plan to pretty much fill it with music this weekend sometime.

EDIT: Mine has started corrupting data I write to it, although I don't think it's the phone's fault it's the card. I think I will stick to a 16Gb card.

Edited by whoop_whoop

Brought a 4gb kingston class 4 formatted to fat32 as my san fran is still using a stock orange rom. However keep getting card unexpectedly removed errors then reconnects and repeats. Works perfectly in my card reader and have no problems with the supplied 2gb sd card. Any ideas or do I need a new card?

Guest JolyonS
Brought a 4gb kingston class 4 formatted to fat32 as my san fran is still using a stock orange rom. However keep getting card unexpectedly removed errors then reconnects and repeats. Works perfectly in my card reader and have no problems with the supplied 2gb sd card. Any ideas or do I need a new card?

I'm vaguely looking at this as I have what sounds very much like the same issue but haven't had a lot of time recently.

If you run dmesg are you getting timeout errors logged (error -110)?

There are various inbuilt quirks with Linux mmc drivers to work around problems with timeouts and I am not sure whether these are / should be compiled in / out.

Guest AlphaVision

When moved on to froyo on my Touch Diamond we had to format the internal memory (which actually is an SD card soldered to the PCB) using the HP Format tool to Fat32. That was the only tool that could do the job for windows. So you can try formatting it using the HP Tool and report if it works.

Guest JolyonS
you can try formatting it using the HP Tool and report if it works.

First thing (of many) I used.

I don't think it's a formatting / block size issue as the card works perfectly in all other situations (including in Clockwork Recovery to install new ROMs).

So I think it is driver related.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Ralph Martin
Would it not be better to make a "SD Card Compatibility List" and make it a sticky?

The when someone posts a card in the thread that works, one of the mods can move it to the first post :unsure:

Fraid not. Some people can get the Kingston Class 4 16Gb cards to work, others cannot. It's not just a case of "Brand X always works", unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
Guest emilioestevez

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/MyMem...-Card---Class-4

I have one of these and it works with my blade. However I do have issues with it, reading off the card is fine (which is great because i primarily wanted it so i didnt have to carry my mp3 player with me). The biggest issues come with frequent "sd card has been unexpectedly removed" errors whenever writing to the card (frequently happens in google maps/navigation) however the other day i stuck a small piece of plastic in behind the metal bracket that holds the card in place so it was held much more tightly against the connectors and havent seen the issue since when running any apps that previously gave me problems. Maybe placebo effect I dunno but I havent seen the issue since (even with trying to recreate it) and previously I could count on google maps/navigator giving me trouble.

The issue still crops up whenever I'm moving large files to the card by connecting my phone to the PC but I have a USB card reader I can use for that.

Edited by emilioestevez

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/MyMem...-Card---Class-4

I have one of these and it works with my blade. However I do have issues with it, reading off the card is fine (which is great because i primarily wanted it so i didnt have to carry my mp3 player with me). The biggest issues come with frequent "sd card has been unexpectedly removed" errors whenever writing to the card (frequently happens in google maps/navigation) however the other day i stuck a small piece of plastic in behind the metal bracket that holds the card in place so it was held much more tightly against the connectors and havent seen the issue since when running any apps that previously gave me problems. Maybe placebo effect I dunno but I havent seen the issue since (even with trying to recreate it) and previously I could count on google maps/navigator giving me trouble.

The issue still crops up whenever I'm moving large files to the card by connecting my phone to the PC but I have a USB card reader I can use for that.

Cheers, I was having the same issues with that card and had dropped back to the recommended 16 GB card, I'll give that a try.