• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

coupedummy

coupedummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
I may have the option on either of these.
What are the main differences besides the keyboard etc

i understand the desire has a faster processor at 1ghz to 800mhz. Can the desire z be overclocked?How is the gpu comparable?screen size? plus any other option.

Any help appreciated

RyanMacG

RyanMacG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 800
  • Twitter:@RyanMacG

I may have the option on either of these.
What are the main differences besides the keyboard etc

i understand the desire has a faster processor at 1ghz to 800mhz. Can the desire z be overclocked?How is the gpu comparable?screen size? plus any other option.

Any help appreciated

Do you mean the original Desire or the HD? The Z can be overclocked to ~1.7/1.8GHz, not sure about the GPU but the benchmarks look impressive even at 800MHz. The screen size is pretty much the same as the N1 and original Desire.

SozzaSinnian

SozzaSinnian

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
As said it all depends on which Desire you are talking about?

I posted some benchmarks of the Desire Z here:

http://android.modac...sire-z-or-not/#

The original Desire is the one above the SE Xperia X10i and as you can see even with it's faster clock speed than the newer Z model, the Z model with the 2nd generation processors achieves 3X the performance, and thats at stock 800Mhz!

The Z also wins the HD at graphics benchmarks slightly, but the HD wins on the CPU slightly against the Z so it's really down to if you want a physical keyboard or not with those although you can overclock the Z CPU to make up for this and I don't think it's possible to overclock the graphics yet.

If your going to play emulators etc then a keyboard is a MUST, believe me after playing them with the on screen keyboard and going to a physical one it really makes a BIG difference B) In fact after having the physical keyboard, I wouldn't want another handset without one now :)

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anyway you like but you can only spend it once.

coupedummy

coupedummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
Thanks for the reviews guys.I was picthing the z against the original desire. The hd is far to big in fairness and my san fran is alittle of the mark so the desire or z would be the replacement.

Looks like i will be looking out for a z then.Does anyone have any reviews on the camera? The san fran is pretty crap.

RyanMacG

RyanMacG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 800
  • Twitter:@RyanMacG

Thanks for the reviews guys.I was picthing the z against the original desire. The hd is far to big in fairness and my san fran is alittle of the mark so the desire or z would be the replacement.

Looks like i will be looking out for a z then.Does anyone have any reviews on the camera? The san fran is pretty crap.

I'm getting mine tomorrow so I can give the camera a run through and post some pics for you to see if that's any help?

rayboy

rayboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire Z
My wife has the original Desire and I the Z. It might be just me trying to justify my purchase but my Z feels more responsive than the original Desire in use. As many have already said on the net, the cpu on the Z is next generation on from the original and the clock speeds are not comparable - it's like comparing a desktop cpu from two generations, the newer will be able to do more per clock cycle. Also I heard the GPU in the Z is far superior than the original, but I haven't research into that myself.

If you can afford it, get the Z. I'd imagine HTC will stop upgrading the original Desire before they would stop the Z & HD.

Some observations:

* The Z is a lot weightier than the original.

* I can't tell the difference between the screens, both look the same to me

* The music app on the Z can stream from upnp media servers, the original cannot even after Froyo update.

* I was apprehensive about the touch menu buttons instead of the hardware keys, but in use, I much prefer it than the old hardware buttons. A gentle tap on them is all that's needed to access the home, menu, back & search "buttons", makes the experience more in tune with the rest of the touch screen experience.

* The touch pad is bit rubbish. Not responsive at all, I struggle trying to use it to move text cursors around text boxes. Definitely the weakest link of the Z experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users