Data charges on Samsung Galaxy Apollo

Guest Zulu01

My partner has recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Apollo on Orange. within 2 days the phone had used up over £25 in credit, despite having a data allowance on her pay as you go plan. During this time all the data downloaded was done through WiFi.

Having complained to orange we were initially told that orange charge for data downloaded over a private WiFi, right, check that again and get back to me! We have been into the orange store 4 times to complain/speak to different people about it, even printing off her useage data from online and proving she used nowhere near the 100mb allowance, however we arent getting anywhere and are considering now getting the phone unlocked and going to O2, with a 500mb allowance! I upgraded at the same time to a LG Gt540 on O2 (thanks to all the threads on here for the help on upgrading to 2.1!!) and have used nowhere near my data allowance.

We are currently waiting on Orange to resolve her complaint, so to stop them taking more money i have broken her internet settings so it cant log into Orange data, but this also stops her getting on the net without wifi, which isnt the best situation! I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of a ROM or update that i can flash the Apollo with to install a "data on/off" switch in the settings menu, something like you find within the LG Gt540 menus, allowing total control over when the phone uses data? She really did like the phone, but has been put off by the excessive charges and rubbish customer care from orange!

Regards

Alex

cant help you with the "data switch"

bit confused - you seem surprised that she cant get on the net when the data is turned off? you have to have data enabled to get online

If your thinking of switching to another operator I higly recommend GiffGaff, it uses O2's network but from £10 a month (its PAYG) you get totally unlimited internet and unlimited text messaging (and the unlimited net means totally unlimited)

If your interested send me a message here and I can get them to send you a free sim with £5 credit on it

Edited by Lew247

bit confused - you seem surprised that she cant get on the net when the data is turned off? you have to have data enabled to get online

Hi Lew, thanks for that. When her data was enabled the charges were really stacking up, so I have "disabled" the phones net access by changing the APN network settings, but its long winded to change them again everytime she would like to use the net. Im really after a simple button press to enable/disable the phones data access, but appreciate that there may not be such a thing available.

Would a rom from say a Galaxy S work on the Apollo?