HD7 Screen Tearing

Guest pagem2uk

Guest pagem2uk

Hi, today my phone started suffering from "screen tearing", flickering across any graphical elements. It is not so noticable on screens with just text but anything that has a picture such as the tiles screen is badly affected. Found a couple of threads on the MS Social forums, here and here. Both suggest but do not confirm there is a product recall for affected units. Just wondered if anyone at Modaco has heard of this issue and can confirm what HTC or O2 (in the UK) are doing to solve the problem?

Cheers.

Guest pagem2uk
Hi, today my phone started suffering from "screen tearing", flickering across any graphical elements. It is not so noticable on screens with just text but anything that has a picture such as the tiles screen is badly affected. Found a couple of threads on the MS Social forums, here and here. Both suggest but do not confirm there is a product recall for affected units. Just wondered if anyone at Modaco has heard of this issue and can confirm what HTC or O2 (in the UK) are doing to solve the problem?

Cheers.

Thanks HTC:

Dear xxxx xxxx,

thank you for contacting me about this issue.

I have looked at the forums and seen that this is a fault found on quite a few of the handsets.

The fault is not the operating system or something that Microsoft has done. It is the graphics chip located on the main board of the device.

All that needs doing is what’s known as a resink. Basically the chip is blasted with hot air to melt the flux holding the chip in place and re-establish a proper and full connection between the chip and the board.

How ever, we will require you to call into the centre so that we can book the device in for repair.

If you have any more problems, then please do not hesitate in getting in touch with us again.

Regards

Carl

• 2 months later...
Thanks HTC:

Dear xxxx xxxx,

thank you for contacting me about this issue.

I have looked at the forums and seen that this is a fault found on quite a few of the handsets.

The fault is not the operating system or something that Microsoft has done. It is the graphics chip located on the main board of the device.

All that needs doing is what’s known as a resink. Basically the chip is blasted with hot air to melt the flux holding the chip in place and re-establish a proper and full connection between the chip and the board.

How ever, we will require you to call into the centre so that we can book the device in for repair.

If you have any more problems, then please do not hesitate in getting in touch with us again.

Regards

Carl

pagem2uk, did you send your phone in for repair?

I'm now on my third HD7 (each one has had this issue) and HTC are claiming to know nothing about it.

From what I have heard there was an issue with one of the early batches but it's not confirmed.

Personally I've not had the issue.

HTC are due to send me a fourth replacement device on Wednesday. The first had an attempted repair. I've so far been through three o2 branded devices and a generic one built from their repair centre and they have all shown the issue.

I'm told it's not actually a hardware defect, but software related and it's being working on.

Guest awarner

Interesting, if it was software every HD7 would have the issue but I've only heard of a small batch which according to what I've heard said there was an issue with mainboard.