Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest 5c00ter

Wow ! Lots of feedback and info to digest. Here's my contribution:

1. Viewing angle could be better, but for the money I can't complain. With the brightness set higher, it's good enough for me. The touch screen is nice and responsive,

2. The keyboard seemed too sensitive and getting double characters. But after reading a previous post, shutdown and give the screen a good clean (I used the laptop screen cloth I got with my Dell) and it now responds a lot better.

3. Yes, I also got the launcher error when attempting to add a widget: "The application Launcher (process com.android.ilauncher2) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." -- looking forward to the update to fix this.

4. Flash video is excellent; with iPlayer performing as expected. Youtube is good and itv player is ok (not as good as iplayer). TV Catchup works ok too, can be a bit fiddly, but got it into fullscreen.

More to following ...

Edited by 5c00ter

Guest debs626
Has anyone tried the slideme market? If so install Quadrant and post scores!

I'm using that now, it installs but doesn't work full screen. Installed Quadrant standard and that works ok (fullscreen)

@dan2010 - "Can anyone tell me if Facebook games work on this?" Tried Frontierville and it was taking ages to load.

Edited by debs626

Guest removed-14
2. The keyboard seemed too sensitive and getting double characters. But after reading a previous post, shutdown and give the screen a good clean (I used the laptop screen cloth I got with my Dell) and it now responds a lot better.

I've found the keyboard fine so far. No double characters, occasional time when I have not quite pressed it enough but so far happy.

Guest Bisto321
Think I'll either see what the archos 101 is like, save up some more and get a tab or ipad. Or keep my cash and wait for the new dual core snapdragons to come out and whatever ARM releases and get a 2nd gen tablet.

I think these tagra2's will be great when they are custom modded and really flying (if you can live with the screen, still need a folio user to qualify better or not)

But I am with you, Will keep my Galaxy Tab until the 2nd gens come out with honeycomb or whatever on them.

Guest Bisto321
I'm using that now, it installs but doesn't work full screen. Installed Quadrant standard and that works ok (fullscreen)

If you are having fullscreen issues try installing spare parts (thought i saw it on Advent demo vid?) and uncheck compatability mode - this works on other TAB's

Guest removed-14

Just showing some colleagues at work and they think it's fab. Just need a case for it now, anyone found anything yet that will do the job? I've asked the guy on the @AdventVega twitter feed if they plan on any accessories for it.

Guest Unguided
I'm trying to find a good app for playing Flac files. Andless works but forces portrait orientation, Meridian doesn't work at all.

Any suggestions?

You could try WinAmp, not sure if the APK is available from their website, but I've put in on my Archos 101 and works quite nicely

Guest debs626
If you are having fullscreen issues try installing spare parts (thought i saw it on Advent demo vid?) and uncheck compatability mode - this works on other TAB's

Thanks for that tip, installed spare parts and Slideme its working fine now B)

Guest removed-14

Anyone wanting to buy a Vega but not intending to hack it will miss out on having an App Store Market of some kind... unless of course the Advent guys add it to a software update.

Just installed Angry Birds and it works a charm full screen! Tough job finding places to get .apks from. http://www.getjar.com has so far proved the best. Anyone know of any better ones?

Edited by removed-14

Guest daniel.weck

Mhmm, the 80MB firmware update is an EXE file (not self-extractable, so can't be renamed to ZIP). Not great for non-Windows users.

The XDA folks have a complete ROM replacement for the Tegra-based Toshiba Folio, for those interested in hacking the Advent Vega.

Shame to hear about the screen viewing angles. Based on my experience with tablets, the toughness of the glass may well be an issue as well, in terms of surface scratching. I would suggest getting a neoprene sleeve with chamois inner skin as soon as possible (a cheap generic one from eBay should do as a temporary measure, until Advent releases its own silicon skins and screen protection layers).

I should disclose that I am a (happy) Samsung Galaxy Tab owner, who has been impatiently waiting for the Advent Vega too :) I'm not sure the Tab is worth twice as much as the Vega, but it's hard to regret the expense considering the benefits of reinforced Gorilla glass, large memory, large battery, front+rear cameras, GPS chipset, SIM data+voice functionality, haptic feedback and all the built-in sensors (magnetic compass, gyroscope, proximity, ambient light, etc.), audio jack with headphones+microphone, most Bluetooth 2 profiles, etc...Oh, and the 1GHz Hummingbird hardware may already be obsolete, but the dual-core Tegra 2 beast is only as good as the firmware/software that runs on it...which at the moment is pretty disappointing.

The 7" Tab is therefore my everyday productivity workhorse (laptop companion or mobile device) and provides a daily dose of gaming fun too (Angry Birds rocks).

The Advent Vega would be my ideal hacking / experiments machine, but I'll wait for more reviews (a 10" touch display with poor viewing angles just isn't right for a device that is supposed to be suitable in a multi-user context).

Keep the info coming, and thanks for taking the time to share ! B)

Dan

Edited by daniel.weck

Guest removed-14

Setting a live wallpaper caused it hang, kind of. The advent logo came up and made the screen very dim. I rebooted and it's fine now and the live wallpaper is showing B)

Guest Bisto321
Anyone wanting to buy a Vega but not intending to hack it will miss out on having an App Store Market of some kind... unless of course the Advent guys add it to a software update.

Has anyone asked why AppsLib is not on it? The IFA bod and the release fluff said it would be - have they fallen out with Archos?

Guest Darryl991

Just installed Angry Birds and it works a charm full screen! Tough job finding places to get .apks from. http://www.getjar.com has so far proved the best. Anyone know of any better ones?

Would you mind posting a screen shot/pic of what Angry Birds looks like on it please.... Wouldn't play at all on the Folio and I wasn't sure how good it would look at that size....