Hacking the Vega? Post your progress!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest emergant
Thanks! B)

P

Paul. Great work and thanks. I see that you included a Mac install script. Does this mean that the advent updates can be installed by users who dont have Windows. I don't have my tablet to play yet

Guest emergant
No... the official updates need NVFlash, which is Windows only.

P

Thanks Paul. Sounds painful but I'll manage. Maybe it will run under wine I'll do some research

Guest paulsmith

Im also looking to run the full update under linux. NVflash or equiv for linux is needed.

May try a windows in a VM - using virtual box (non open source edition which has better USB support)

Wonder if paul used a windows box or his mac to apply the update.....

Guest TylerDurdenK
Nice idea, BUT... we don't have a way to boot into recovery yet!

I haven't found the key combination...

P

Have you tried all the key combinations with the unit plugged in? I know mine wouldn't go into what Advent call "Recovery Mode" for the system updates without the power plugged in.

Guest andrewg12345

I like the fact that the vega is hackable and you guys have done it :P BUT

QUESTION : is there any chance that future versions of the vega would be locked in such away that even your genius would be unable to crack it.

Thanks

Guest Bonuman

No. Advent hardly has the manpower to launch with proper and working software. They will never ever have the manpower, time or skill to implement security features to block custom ROMs.

No. Advent hardly has the manpower to launch with proper and working software. They will never ever have the manpower, time or skill to implement security features to block custom ROMs.

And dont forget the vega is built on oem hardware by shuttle of all people, so even if they did there would probably be a way around it