Stock 2.2 Performance

Guest Stephen Davidson

Guest Stephen Davidson

I've just made a few changes to the stock 2.2 rom @ 1190 from Dell and am getting amazing results in Quadrant. Anyone else out there have some results for comparison?

Quadrant: 2224 (Tested 3 times and all near that)

Linpack: 38

Neocore: 32.4 (Sound)

Neocore: 32.7 (NoSound)

Guest synaptic.flaws
I've just made a few changes to the stock 2.2 rom @ 1190 from Dell and am getting amazing results in Quadrant. Anyone else out there have some results for comparison?

Quadrant: 2224 (Tested 3 times and all near that)

Linpack: 38

Neocore: 32.4 (Sound)

Neocore: 32.7 (NoSound)

how did you overclock the stock rom?

Pretty impressive stevenD!

What version of steves kernel did you use? With the initial bfs oc I could get 40.3 in linpack, 1800 quadrant.

With the current version I get 39linpack, 1950 quadrant

What other changes have you made? I/o?

Just so I am clear

1) install stock 2.2 315bb

2) flash clockwork

3) update the 1.4.5 from Steve?

thats not what StephenD has done..

he's installed the stock rom and then a boot.img that's based on DJ_steves kernel.

which is what smoku has done http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9394243

but not with the same results, as quadrant isnt scoring that high

Edited by fards

Guest synaptic.flaws
thats not what StephenD has done..

he's installed the stock rom and then a boot.img that's based on DJ_steves kernel.

which is what smoku has done http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9394243

but not with the same results, as quadrant isnt scoring that high

Oh ok, so I fashion my current 1.4.5 pull the system partition and flash it onto of the 2.2 official

I was happy with my 1600+ quadrant until I read that

Oh ok, so I fashion my current 1.4.5 pull the system partition and flash it onto of the 2.2 official

I was happy with my 1600+ quadrant until I read that

thats why I want to find out what he's done...

I'm on 145 and can't get quadrant past 1900

with stock system and the same boot.img smoku used I can't get past 1800

Guest Stephen Davidson

Ok so the primary changes are as follows.

In build.prop I commented out the last line:

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Changed dalvik heapsize to 32m,

And set the LCD density to 200.

No other changes that I can think of although my streak has a 16GB internal with ext2 vs ext3.

I also had to copy the dhd.ko from DJSteve's rom to get wireless working. Everything else seem to be the same.

Actually, I just realized that I'm using DJSteve's build.prop (modified as above). Try that, I'd be interested to see if that does it.

thats why I want to find out what he's done...

I'm on 145 and can't get quadrant past 1900

with stock system and the same boot.img smoku used I can't get past 1800

Ok so the primary changes are as follows.

In build.prop I commented out the last line:

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Changed dalvik heapsize to 32m,

And set the LCD density to 200.

No other changes that I can think of although my streak has a 16GB internal with ext2 vs ext3.

I also had to copy the dhd.ko from DJSteve's rom to get wireless working. Everything else seem to be the same.

Actually, I just realized that I'm using DJSteve's build.prop (modified as above). Try that, I'd be interested to see if that does it.

cheers.

testing on steves 145 (with some more of my tweaks) in quadrant 3 runs each change

disabling traces gives small amount of difference, an extra 50-70 points

vm 32 drops it back 50-80 points

lcd density is the real change 200 gives over 250 points difference, av 5fps extra in the corridor test

best score I've got is 2210

Edited by fards

Guest Stephen Davidson

Right now all of my runs, score between 2240 to 2550. I assume its background processes making the difference.

Aside from the benchmarking, my dell is running the best I've ever seen it. Everything is smooth and quick. The larger icons and objects actually seem to make it easier to use. Oh and I gotta say, them angry birds seem to be seriously flying... hehe ok, bad joke.

What are the chances that running a class 10 card with ext2 making a difference?

Right now all of my runs, score between 2240 to 2550. I assume its background processes making the difference.

Aside from the benchmarking, my dell is running the best I've ever seen it. Everything is smooth and quick. The larger icons and objects actually seem to make it easier to use. Oh and I gotta say, them angry birds seem to be seriously flying... hehe ok, bad joke.

What are the chances that running a class 10 card with ext2 making a difference?

quite a bit to the quadrant.. it scores on IO after all.

great scores B)

Guest synaptic.flaws
quite a bit to the quadrant.. it scores on IO after all.

great scores B)

Fards? Is it ok. To hate him?

**auto text is killing me **

Edited by synaptic.flaws

Guest Stephen Davidson

Well I'm certainly not complaining. I might even just leave my dell alone for a while. It's finally hit a point where I'm more then happy with it.

Of course with gingerbread right around the corner, Dec 6th, it won't be long before I'm ripping it apart again :-)

Guest synaptic.flaws
Well I'm certainly not complaining. I might even just leave my dell alone for a while. It's finally hit a point where I'm more then happy with it.

Of course with gingerbread right around the corner, Dec 6th, it won't be long before I'm ripping it apart again :-)

so did you swap your internal SD card?

I could not function with a dpi that high.. it would remind me of when I used EGA instead of VGA.. ohh I hated those days..

Guest BigBlue007

Can someone explain me something about that dpi thingy please? B)

On a PC, rising the dpi value leads to an increased amount of graphics information that is being displayed ( = more dots per inch). Stuff like icons get smaller by doing that.

On the other hand, whenever I read something about the density setting on Android, rising the value seems to actually LOWER the density, resulting in larger icons. The fact that a higher density value leads to better Quadrant scores would also mean that there's less graphics to compute the higher the density value is.

So it would seem to me that the density value is not really a value for density, at least not in terms of "dots per inch". So the question is: What is it then?

Guest jmhalder
at least not in terms of "dots per inch". So the question is: What is it then?

think of it this way... lets just say the PHYSICAL size of an icon is 1 square inch, things in android should PHYSICALLY be the same size, so an icon on my TV running android should take an inch, it should also take an inch on my G1, streak, etc... now lets just hypothetically say that my TV is also 800x480... it would have less "dots per inch" than my phone right? so if it has 100dpi (just makin numbers up) it would make icons incredibly small (as it should, its a TV!) so that they are equal to one inch... now if we ran that same 100dpi setting on the streak, it would be too small to be usable... If you still don't understand, then you're doing it wrong.

think of it this way... lets just say the PHYSICAL size of an icon is 1 square inch, things in android should PHYSICALLY be the same size, so an icon on my TV running android should take an inch, it should also take an inch on my G1, streak, etc... now lets just hypothetically say that my TV is also 800x480... it would have less "dots per inch" than my phone right? so if it has 100dpi (just makin numbers up) it would make icons incredibly small (as it should, its a TV!) so that they are equal to one inch... now if we ran that same 100dpi setting on the streak, it would be too small to be usable... If you still don't understand, then you're doing it wrong.

I didn't understand a word of that B)

But then the density settings make no sense to me either.

Fards? Is it ok. To hate him?

**auto text is killing me **

LoL, hate him? Nah we're all part of #teamstreak anything that furthers development is cool.

And he's getting close to cyanogens speeds there!

Now if we can up scores in linpack then everyone will feel the benefit..at least dj_steves hit 42 that in linpack, with a seriously overclocked kernel though...

Guest alert_bri

Stephen, what make and model card are you using? may be worth it for speed alone to replace the internal 2Gb card with a faster type. Hopefully standard support of a larger capacity card could be done via a custom rom?

Cheers

Brian

Guest Stephen Davidson
Stephen, what make and model card are you using? may be worth it for speed alone to replace the internal 2Gb card with a faster type. Hopefully standard support of a larger capacity card could be done via a custom rom?

Cheers

Brian

I'm using a 16GB Kingston Class 10. Bought it a while ago for my hero :-)

Guest jnovello

I can't stand to leave the density at anything other than 160. 200 and all the program labels are cut off and I feel like a geriatric. I can't seem to even hit 1700, but I guess it really is fine blowing all the other devices out of the water.