Performance Pack information + feedback topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi all!

If you have built your add-on pack for 1.04 from the kitchen (i.e. you're a Plus or Ad Free member), then there is a little something extra you can help me test - the 'Performance Pack'.

Basically what i've done here is analysed the 1.04 ROM alongside the NVidia reference ROM and incorporated all the newer components and performance tweaks into the add-on pack. The result, in my experience anyway, is a MUCH smoother operation of the device (i think it's flippin' amazing, but I'd love to hear second opinions!)

Update: I have also included a test fix for the Bluetooth problem on 1.04 in the pack.

It's currently in test at the moment, so this topic is to collate feedback. :P

P

I agree, it does make things much smoother! Still have to make the alteration to get flash running though.

BBC iPlayer and ITVPlayer (UK) work well. iPlayer slightly better because of native full screen. Channel4 4oD doesn't seem to play anything though which is bizarre as this is flash based. SkyPlayer sadly need silverlight to run.

Still think it is bizarre how Jerky it is when you press the power button though, can't see any real need for this??

Fantastic Device, especially with the Market and other addons, and now with the Performance Pack also :P

Just need to find a decent case to protect it now though if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks

Cheers for your help earlier. Home and got it all sorted :P

Ta for the getting us to this stage... much appreciated.

And must say this site has come along way since I worked with you at NU. :D

Guest removed-14
Just need to find a decent case to protect it now though if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks

We are discussing cases in the Vega accessories thread.

Guest JingleManSweep

Paul,

Just updated to 1.04, about to flash MCR r2 but performance pack is offline. Any ETA? Is it worth me installing without the performance pack? or will it be back online soon?

Cheers for your help earlier. Home and got it all sorted :P

Ta for the getting us to this stage... much appreciated.

And must say this site has come along way since I worked with you at NU. :D

You did? Who are you! :D

P

You did? Who are you! :P

P

Lol Name is Gavin Knowles. Used to work for Keeley in Tech consultancy. You sat in the office next to mine with P D Smith. Cant remember the building name but it was grotty on st stephens st in one of those two tower blocks.

Guest removed-14

Just installed the Performance Pack and now cannot connect to my Wifi. Could do using the stock-out-of-the-box firmware. But not now. Any ideas?

EDIT: I can connect to my tethered HTC Desire but not my Netgear. Has the Wifi stack changed?

EDIT2: Updated my routers firmware and now working again! Loving my Vega once again! Thanks Paul

Edited by removed-14

With the performance pack and the custom additions, the Vega is utterly brilliant... I hope Advent will be using your tweaks Paul!!

Does it make it that much difference then?

Guest JingleManSweep

Yes it does.

I've installed all of my favourite apps (just like my ZTE Blade), most of the apps I use work great on the larger screen. Also, it is a lot faster and smoother.

I absolutely love my Vega now, but to put it in perspective...

Stock 1.04: 5 out of 10

MCR + PP: 9 out of 10

It has almost doubled my enjoyment of the device.

Install it now!

Guest unclebob31
Yes it does.

I've installed all of my favourite apps (just like my ZTE Blade), most of the apps I use work great on the larger screen. Also, it is a lot faster and smoother.

I absolutely love my Vega now, but to put it in perspective...

Stock 1.04: 5 out of 10

MCR + PP: 9 out of 10

It has almost doubled my enjoyment of the device.

Install it now!

Agreed. Thanks Paul

Guest swarrans
Agreed. Thanks Paul

Are most of you managing the upgrade without the "USB debug" problem (which I have no idea what it is!..)

I'm currently at the stock firmware - can I do Paul's upgrade in one go, or do I need to upgrade to 1.04 first?

Simon (still clueless!)

Guest BiggerH

I've installed the r2 ROM (but not kitchen)

so if I get a Pro account and have access to the Kitchen version, will it be even quicker?

if I upgrade, do I need to uninstall the r2, or just install over what I've already got?

I've installed the r2 ROM (but not kitchen)

so if I get a Pro account and have access to the Kitchen version, will it be even quicker?

if I upgrade, do I need to uninstall the r2, or just install over what I've already got?

Yes.

You SHOULD be able to install over the top.

P

Are most of you managing the upgrade without the "USB debug" problem (which I have no idea what it is!..)

I'm currently at the stock firmware - can I do Paul's upgrade in one go, or do I need to upgrade to 1.04 first?

Simon (still clueless!)

AFAICT there actually isn't a problem!

P

Guest removed-14
Wifi was working fine last night and this morning. Did a reboot to do a video of it booting and now the wifi wont connect grrrr.

Rebooted my router and now my Vega has connected... very strange...