Vega internals

Guest morchuboo

Guest behnaam
Can't quite tell exactly what youve done from the pic. Looks like you snapped the connector or did you pull out something physically attached to the battery? If its just a case of breaking a fragile connector they aren't too hard to fix or even replace its something that happens occasionally in PCs with stuck connectors although the larger size of a PC connector makes them easy enough to fix.

If the actual metal components that do the work is undamaged and its just the plastic housing that broke you can often fix them with a variety of adhesive products from putties to glues, you would be surprised how effective basic modelling glue you get in airfix models works on plastic PC components.

It looks like the connector has snapped in half at one of the pins.

Warriorscot is right, just use some really strong bonding agent to stick them back together and you should be sorted.

There is one other thing I would like you to test behnaam.

If you are able to separate the screen and get the Vega booted on mains, what is the viewing angle like?

I'm interested to know if the screen or the front-glass is causing the restricted viewing angle.

Yep, it snapped in the middle as I was trying to pull the connector out. I believe only the plastic housing is broken. I'm not quite sure about gluing the plastic bit as it might result in not fitting inside the slot.

But that is probably the last thing I can try before declaring it dead forever ;)

EDIT: The device starts when power charger is plugged in, which is quite obvious as it has a source for energy. I tried to somehow get the broken connector to fit the slot, but still battery isn't detected :/

Pic of how it looks now:

img20101230041734.jpg

Any ideas on what I could try doing? :(

Edited by behnaam

Guest warriorscot

Modelling glue works great and has a thin consistency once it adheres properly it looks like it hasn't been glued at all(why they use it in models) its what I use in situations like that. For added security once the plug is properly realigned and glued together you can add a crosspiece of some rigid material across the top(thin hard plastic or metal or even a toothpick) to add extra stiffness along the top of the plug so its doesn't flex enough to break again.

If you got a replacement for the damaged plug you could rewire it and it would be completely good as new. You could also directly connect and solder on the battery wires the use an insulating putty to add physical strength necessary to prevent them coming loose again.

Guest behnaam
Modelling glue works great and has a thin consistency once it adheres properly it looks like it hasn't been glued at all(why they use it in models) its what I use in situations like that. For added security once the plug is properly realigned and glued together you can add a crosspiece of some rigid material across the top(thin hard plastic or metal or even a toothpick) to add extra stiffness along the top of the plug so its doesn't flex enough to break again.

If you got a replacement for the damaged plug you could rewire it and it would be completely good as new. You could also directly connect and solder on the battery wires the use an insulating putty to add physical strength necessary to prevent them coming loose again.

Will try what you suggested with the modelling glue :( Thanks for the advice!

Is there anyone who wouldn't mind disassemble their Vega and take a picture of the battery connector unplugged? It would help me a lot! ;)

Anyways, have a great New years eve people and may 2011 be a nice year for y'all!

Guest behnaam

Shameful bump, but I just wonder if:

Anyone who wouldn't mind disassemble their Vega, could take a picture of the battery connector unplugged? It would help me a lot! :unsure:

Guest behnaam
Hi behnaam,

Did you manage to get a look at the touchscreen component?

I'll do it as soon as I get this battery fixed. That's my priority #1 right now.

Guest Chrisjwild
Shameful bump, but I just wonder if:

Anyone who wouldn't mind disassemble their Vega, could take a picture of the battery connector unplugged? It would help me a lot! :unsure:

Sorry I don't have the guts to open mine yet. Have you looked at the pic in the first post? It does show the connector.

Guest behnaam
Sorry I don't have the guts to open mine yet. Have you looked at the pic in the first post? It does show the connector.

Yeah, checked those. Would need a closeup to see where the metal part that is loose now should be (as there is a empty slot in the connectors plastic bit). I'll just wait and see if anyone can help out there :unsure:

Guest VodkaWhiteNoise
Yeah, checked those. Would need a closeup to see where the metal part that is loose now should be (as there is a empty slot in the connectors plastic bit). I'll just wait and see if anyone can help out there :unsure:

In the first few pics (the second one in particular) on the thread your battery has what looks like red, black, blue and yellow wires but in the later ones they're all red or black.

Have the individual wires themselves been swapped out?

Guest behnaam
In the first few pics (the second one in particular) on the thread your battery has what looks like red, black, blue and yellow wires but in the later ones they're all red or black.

Have the individual wires themselves been swapped out?

I have a factory sample unit, not a Advent Vega. But it's the same device, lacking Advent branding.

Guest Wombatter

Has anyone removed the screen/glass from the touchscreen yet?

I really want to get rid of the dust/dirt under my NEW vega :unsure:

Can't wait another 4 weeks for stock replacement...

Guest Paul Fraser

Is there any chance you could find out if Vega repairs are done in the UK and if so by whom? You may be able to source a spare part from them (if the other end is a connector as well..)PS Ok, I just had another quick look at the thread, still might be worth pursuing to see if they have replacement batteries...

Edited by Paul Fraser

• 6 months later...