Viewing angles

Guest Scott9824

Guest Scott9824

Hi all,

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the Vega's viewing angles and most people don't seem to have a prob with them, but I was disappointed with my Vega as I found it totally unusable in portrait (too distracting) and there was very little between good viewing angle and poor angle in landscape, but it makes me think that perhaps it's a bit inconsistent between Vega's and some screens perform better than others? (I'll check when it's in store) I decided that, although the build quality of the Vega was good overall and with Paul's pack, it worked very well, especially for the price, I was unable to live with the angles and I thought I wouldn't make enough use of it because of that, so I returned it to store last night. I'm looking forward to seeing what 10" tabs are released in the future with similar specs and better screens though!

Cheers,

Scott

Guest rferrett

I reckon it must be horses for courses a bit. Had a netbook with a crappy screen before so kinda used to the way viewing isn't always perfect. Also I think when you have launcher pro and can turn it upside down it helps because I find that one way or another I can usually get the desired viewing angle.

Besises for me this is just a stop gap until the Notion Ink Adam comes out anyway.

Ralph

Guest the_bone

Have wanted a tab since the first 7 inch ones came out, but wanted a capacitive screen and ten inches at a reasonable price. This seemed ideal, so bought it. Unfortunately the screen viewing angles just made this unit unusable for me, anything off straight on very quickly made the screen dark and unacceptable. As others said holding the screen the other way round helped but still not ideal.

The other thing that amazed me was the lack of and inability to install apps within the default build. Fantastic work from Paul has helped alleviate this problem but purchasers should not have to tweak the system to make it into a usable piece of equipment. I know that there is a big cost difference but the gap between this and the ipad out of the box is bigger.

In the end had to take mine back, this reminded of me why not to buy things from Currys, to be informed by them that I couldnt return it once it had been opened. I really do not know what training they gave to their staff as none of them knew the distance selling regs and not even their own internet returns policies (despite her working their for 9 years apparently). Had to get the manager to sort it out before they finally accepted that I could have my money back.

Guest Greg-ACT

Hi guys,

I've read the varous posts in regards to screen viewing angles and even watched the youtube videos.

Someone suggested they are like a 10inch netbook.

I have a Dell Mini 9 and its viewing angles are quiet good.

Does anyone have a Dell Mini 9 and will to compare both screens?

Thanks,

Greg

I returned mine to Currys this morning, they were a bit arsey about it so it was a good thing I took a print out of the distance selling regs!

Paul's MCR Rom made the device a lot more full featured and I really wanted to keep it as a result, but the poor viewing angles gave me a headache after 20 minutes of use so it had to go :P

Guest mclanecxantia
the viewing angles certainly aren't the best, but i think i'll be keeping mine

i think it would be better if we could flip the screen 180 degrees tho.

can somebody make a video of the viewing angles ? so we all can find out ourselves

if the weakness of the display is ok for our own purpose ?

i don't want to buy a pad and find out afterwards that i cannot use it because the display is lousy.

Guest removed-14

Yes the viewing angles aren't great but they are better than the Folio! As I use mine in landscape 95% of the time I dont even notice. Portrait isn't great but I rarely use it in that orientation.

can somebody make a video of the viewing angles ? so we all can find out ourselves

i don't want to buy a pad and find out afterwards that i cannot use it because the display is lousy.

Check the videos thread, I did two videos on the day of purchase for other people.

Guest deadite66

look here, first post.

Guest Pyr0x64
And you can flip it 180° if you install LauncherPro :P

heh, i use launcher pro, but when flipping it with software, the buttons are at the bottom

i'd like to flip the actual display panel inside the case

Guest Bisto321

I have not seen the vega yet but I would think that its screen is most likely to be the same as the folio and that was pretty bad.

Its a shame that stores don't have demo models, as a try before you buy would stop people having to return them under distance selling regs.

If you can live with these angles (i would think no one could use portrait though) then this device is going to be hard to beat at £230.

My work colleagues were very polite about the folio and said it was cool, but when i took it back and got the galaxy tab they all said "ooh, thats much nicer. The other ones screen was awful"

Much better screens will come along soon (ipad already has one) but you will have to pay more than £230 to get a device with one in it.

If you can live with it fill yer boots, they look very good for the price. If you can't then you may have to wait until 2011 2nd quarter before better models arrive.

other option is to buy an overpriced galaxy tab, like me and ignore all the price drops that will happen before christmas :P Got mine for £440(launched £600+) they will be £350 soon :D

Guest removed-14
I have not seen the vega yet but I would think that its screen is most likely to be the same as the folio and that was pretty bad.

I think it has already been accepted that the Vega's screen is better than the Folio. It isn't a Galaxy Tab or an iPad but it isn't a Folio either.

Much better screens will come along soon (ipad already has one) but you will have to pay more than £230 to get a device with one in it.

If you can live with it fill yer boots, they look very good for the price. If you can't then you may have to wait until 2011 2nd quarter before better models arrive.

other option is to buy an overpriced galaxy tab, like me and ignore all the price drops that will happen before christmas :P Got mine for £440(launched £600+) they will be £350 soon :D

That is the nail on the head. It is £200+ cheaper than a Galaxy Tab! And £200 cheaper than the cheapest iPad! Hello?! That is a LOT of money. What do people expect? Whn something is 40% less than something has to give. A Kia is 40% less than a Audi/BMW... but if you are willing to live with the quality diff then it's still a car at the end of the day. (Btw I own an Astra! lol)

Guest rferrett

I reckon that there are probably a couple of camps here. One of which is basically hoping for an Android iPad, IMHO that pad aint going to be out for a while (Notion Ink Adam looks best contender) and when it does come out you aint going to be able to get one for 250 dabs.

The other camp who are looking for a serviceable, customisable and most importantly "cheap" tab to have a play with seem mostly happy.

My 2cents? I want both, going to keep my Vega for a bit and once some decent Honeycomb iPad killer ones are out am gonna get me one of them too!

Ralph

Guest removed-14

I think you are correct Ralph. I'm sure the Vega will keep me happy until something else comes along. I too want an Android iPad but this I knew would not be it. It's not bad that is for certain but it isn't an iPad. I'm happy to wait for that to arrive, it certainly does not exist right now.

Guest Bisto321
My 2cents? I want both, going to keep my Vega for a bit and once some decent Honeycomb iPad killer ones are out am gonna get me one of them too!

I agree. I was not able to cope with the poorer screen on the folio and got fed up waiting for the Advent (and would have got rid of that too because of the screen), so got the smaller better screened (expensive!) TAB - but when those 9+ inch IPS/AMOLED honeycomb baby's arrive - I will be first in the queue!

Difference between me and an advent owner - you may be able to have/keep both, but I may have to sell the TAB to justify buying a better (and much pricier) 9+ incher.

Wish I was a bit more able to deal with the screen thing, just that my heart sunk a little every time my head moved away from the optimal viewing position when I used the folio.

I almost kept it. The folio and the Advent have some great support now, but it was too much for my niggly little brain to bear and my eyes hurt! :D

p.s – I like the car analogy tonyyeb. I think my Galaxy TAB is a BMW/Audi at Ferrari prices :P

Edited by Bisto321

Guest removed-14
p.s – I like the car analogy tonyyeb. I think my Galaxy TAB is a BMW/Audi at Ferrari prices :P

Lol, quite possibly! I think Vega is probably more Volvo than Kia, not a premium product but solid and good value.

Guest Scott9824

Cheers for the replies, I half expected to get flamed for posting something negative about the viewing angles, but I have to say each and every reply was polite - so thanks.

As I said, it's a massive shame, because the hardware was perfect and with the pack from Paul, it really was fantastic. I left it over night to try again in the morning to see if I could convince myself that the angles were ok - but that didn't help. I expected my biggest gripe to be build quality - creaks and rattles - but it was fine. I'm disappointed but I'm looking forward to what's coming next year.

Guest removed-14
Cheers for the replies, I half expected to get flamed for posting something negative about the viewing angles, but I have to say each and every reply was polite - so thanks.

As I said, it's a massive shame, because the hardware was perfect and with the pack from Paul, it really was fantastic. I left it over night to try again in the morning to see if I could convince myself that the angles were ok - but that didn't help. I expected my biggest gripe to be build quality - creaks and rattles - but it was fine. I'm disappointed but I'm looking forward to what's coming next year.

If something niggles you then it is best taking it back. I know from experience that it WILL bother you virtually everytime you use it. At least you tried giving it a second chance. If it isn't for you then it isn't for you.

Guest deadite66

perhaps because i don't have mine yet but i don't get the deal with the viewing angle, what are those that hate it using the vega for? photo frame on a wall etc..

Guest removed-14
perhaps because i don't have mine yet but i don't get the deal with the viewing angle, what are those that hate it using the vega for? photo frame on a wall etc..

I tend to agree. I use mine as a web browser mainly so it stays landscape and looks great. But if people find it important and rank it high on the must have list then they may find the Vega isn't for them.

I was just using mine for browsing in landscape and wanted to use it for PDF viewing in portrait mode. The PDF viewing was a total no go as the portrait angles (to me) were terrible, the landscape browsing was much better but still left me with a headache after 20 minutes (I gave it a couple of tries to make sure it was the Vega bringing on the headache).

Maybe I've just got sensitive eyes or I'm overly used to the very good viewing angles of my iPhone, either way if the screen was better I would have certainly kept it.