Get rid of Google

Guest cartierv

Guest cartierv

Hi guys, I've just ordered a new Android phone and I'm really looking forward to having a game with it. It will be my first mobile of this kind.

I'm really an Apple guy, but as the iPhone became so common place I've actually come to see them, despite how brilliant they are, as something just a bit boring and common really.

My main concerns about Android as alternative, is what Google is actually doing here. There's been a few articles written about this. But everything seems to be rooted through Google, and that's a no no for me, and I'm wondering how much of this can be turned off. I don't want arbitrary 'syncs' with facebook, contacts on my sim card etc, all in one Google account. Is Android phoning home with SIM details, contacts and so on ?

I don't want a lot of tracking of where I am going to Google and I won't be using gmail or google calendar, so eiither I can turn all this crap off, or I don't really know how to put this politely... is there some kind of 'non-Google' version of Android available where a lot of this spyware crud is taken out ?

I don't wish to be rude, but I don't want to have a debate about whether or not Google's level, capacity and pooling of data gathering is good or bad compared to some spamware outfit or something. It is assumed to be bad form whoever's doing it from my perspective.

So in a nutshell, what is the situation for turning off all outbound stuff to Google on Android ?

Thanks

C

Guest Harness
Hi guys, I've just ordered a new Android phone and I'm really looking forward to having a game with it. It will be my first mobile of this kind.

I'm really an Apple guy, but as the iPhone became so common place I've actually come to see them, despite how brilliant they are, as something just a bit boring and common really.

My main concerns about Android as alternative, is what Google is actually doing here. There's been a few articles written about this. But everything seems to be rooted through Google, and that's a no no for me, and I'm wondering how much of this can be turned off. I don't want arbitrary 'syncs' with facebook, contacts on my sim card etc, all in one Google account. Is Android phoning home with SIM details, contacts and so on ?

I don't want a lot of tracking of where I am going to Google and I won't be using gmail or google calendar, so eiither I can turn all this crap off, or I don't really know how to put this politely... is there some kind of 'non-Google' version of Android available where a lot of this spyware crud is taken out ?

I don't wish to be rude, but I don't want to have a debate about whether or not Google's level, capacity and pooling of data gathering is good or bad compared to some spamware outfit or something. It is assumed to be bad form whoever's doing it from my perspective.

So in a nutshell, what is the situation for turning off all outbound stuff to Google on Android ?

Thanks

C

Don't sign in with google accounts, don't have google pool or bother you. Contacts can be saved to sim card, and none of it will bother you. Hate to tell you but Android = Google's OS, so they're going to implement their own software into it, however, if you want to get rid of them you can create a custom OS and remove the apk's completely.

Don't want it, don't sign in, though. Simple as that.

The only thing you need Google for in to enter 'The Market' our App Store (iTunes) just create an Gmail/Google account and set up your G-mail account on the phone. That is required in you buy some Apps as that is where the License is sent to.

Everything else you can shut off and only sync your email (G-Mail) when you buy an App.

For Apps I do not use 'The Market' direct but use AppBrain that will link to The Market, AppBrain also uses your G-Mail account info.

Or if you want to avoid Google all together and hunt down your own apps all you have to do to install them is

Menu

Settings

App

and check the box 'Unknown Source'

and then install the apk file.

How did you survive with an iPhone in the iTune world where everything must go through Apple?

(do not want to start an argument just wondering)

Edited by gwilo