So how many Vegas do we think DSG have actually sold?

Guest rferrett

Guest rferrett

So I have been wondering about this on a few different threads.

We are in a bubble here on MoDaCo, of hacking android enthusiasts who have been keenly following the Vega for a while. Probably we follow many of the same tech blogs and twitter feeds. Possibly it is creating for us more of a buzz than really exists outside of these sort of circles.

I wonder if they have sold tens, hundreds or thousands of Vegas.

My guess is less than 500 across the three waves. What do others think?

Guest shutdown

We are in a bubble here on MoDaCo, of hacking android enthusiasts who have been keenly following the Vega for a while. Probably we follow many of the same tech blogs and twitter feeds. Possibly it is creating for us more of a buzz than really exists outside of these sort of circles.

to sell out in such a short time i can only guess at around 50 per stock release

Guest Genieuk

I reckon they're releasing about 100 at a time, perhaps the factory can't produce enough, perhaps they're using us to iron things out, perhaps they're trying to create viral marketing, i.e. even though it's very limited stock, it seems to be talked about a lot.

Anyway, I reckon they'll have tons soon as the hype build up will increase sales.

All of this is me guessing by the way.

Guest removed-14

Well from following the Pandora console being made I have seen the costs of mass production. And it wouldn't be economical to do less than 1,000 at a time and possible even more than that. Not to say that this is how many have been sold, but they could be shipping 100 at a time from the first 1,000 made. Then after the first 1,000 make any hardware tweaks and make another larger batch.

Alas this is a question that only DSG can answer.

Guest lisaberry
LOL, I do wonder how many people outside of modaco have bought one mind!

I havent bought one yet mind you but still..... before about 2 days ago had never heard of this site!

I am in as much of a frenzy about the Vega as you mod guys despite never even having held an android device before let alone hacked one! I've never hacked anything!

I can't remember how long ago it was that I first heard about the vega but I'm pretty sure it started with nothing more than a quick 'cheap iPad alternative' search on google!

I'm certainly more gadgety inclined than perhaps your average lady but by no means a techy.

Anyway, the point of my long winded post was just to point out that I am pretty sure there are loads of peps like me - gadget mad, technologically dumb but not rich enough to throw £500 at Apple for a half baked web browser who are chomping at the bit to get hold of one of these beauties! If I had the £250 now (I'm getting vouchers for crumble) I would have been barging my way to the front of the online queue. Hey, I was the first girl in my town to get an iPhone 4!

I spent half of last night reading up on command prompts, kernels and all that jazz as even Pauls easy instructions left me flummoxed!!!

Edited by lisaberry

Guest Bobbler
Well from following the Pandora console being made I have seen the costs of mass production. And it wouldn't be economical to do less than 1,000 at a time and possible even more than that. Not to say that this is how many have been sold, but they could be shipping 100 at a time from the first 1,000 made. Then after the first 1,000 make any hardware tweaks and make another larger batch.

Alas this is a question that only DSG can answer.

Ah but remember that the device is not just the Advent Vega, but a re-badged version of a device platform with options to change to a price point (the 3g element for example) from an OEM. We have seen at least one other version (albeit in pictures only) of the P10AN01 - looking to be one for Shuttle who make small form factor PCs amongst other things. Could already be literally 100,000's of these things sat waiting to have their specs picked and some logo work for any number of resellers to brand

So even though it's not cheap to make less than 1000 of these units, they could potentially be making less than that for Advent as they are just switching out a firmware and a applying a logo to the shell.

I want one though :P Hopefully some stock on Thursday (when my pay packet and hopefully my Xmas bonus and overtime owed too)

Guest Bobbler

We could actually see a flood of these devices hit the market over the coming months as other places rush to stock them. Once the supermarkets get hold of them the war will truly begin, though I am not keep on the thought of a Tesco "Value" colour schemed one :P You may see them subsidised to near nothing on mobile contracts or PAYG based tariffs in supermarkets.

Actually imagining that now, Tesco/ASDA branded version with say a shopping app and 3G tied into their mobile network tariffs! The price point is really keen, probably better still with that sort of buying power.

Re: Advent vega: Price good, capabilities good, reviews okish. I would buy one, but seriously being put off by PCworld/currys tactics. I have had run ins with them before where they advertise stuff and its almost impossible to buy it. Why cant I just go to a shop, have a demo of the machine and then buy if I want ?

I do not like this drip feed tactic at all. I am begining to think that maybe I should wait for a tablet that will run honeycomb. Also, things are moving so fast with android, DSG should be quick to get these units out or people may just start thinking like myself and wait for new units running dedicated tablet android to come out.

In the long run, these tactics cant be good for DSG!!!!

Re: Advent vega: Price good, capabilities good, reviews okish. I would buy one, but seriously being put off by PCworld/currys tactics. I have had run ins with them before where they advertise stuff and its almost impossible to buy it. Why cant I just go to a shop, have a demo of the machine and then buy if I want ?

I do not like this drip feed tactic at all. I am begining to think that maybe I should wait for a tablet that will run honeycomb. Also, things are moving so fast with android, DSG should be quick to get these units out or people may just start thinking like myself and wait for new units running dedicated tablet android to come out.

In the long run, these tactics cant be good for DSG!!!!

I don't think its DSG's fault ...

The Vega is an OEM design , so they are probably at the whim of some supplier in China ... Also note that there isn't any point in them getting thousands produced only to have them on the shelf not selling ... They are getting stock in as required I would imagine. It's hardly a 'tactic'.

Guest JustaBloke

I would suggest that currently this is the only way that DSG can sell them. Tweeting when stock is available, and feeding demand from people like us who are willing to make alterations in order to get the Vega as we want it.

If it were offered in-store as it is at the moment, with no method of downloading apps, it would be seen as 'not fit for purpose'.

It certainly wouldn't be able to stand comparison with a Galaxy Tab, iPad or even Archos 101 even at it's low price point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm about to buy one, but I don't mind fiddling (oh-err-missus), most people expect their purchases to work straight out of the box.

• 3 months later...
Guest mainframe

Not because i work for those guys..but i got one..a vrga..

and you know what? its Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :D

:(

Guest waj1234
Not because i work for those guys..but i got one..a vrga..

and you know what? its Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :D

:(

I also wonder out of all the ones sold how many have been sold or about to sell like myself?

Guest spacecadetuk
I also wonder out of all the ones sold how many have been sold or about to sell like myself

what sort of price are people who are selling them getting, i've seen some on e-bay varying from £175 to £300 (bit ambitious i think :D ), just curious to see that if people can almost get their money back will there be a rush for the cheap ipad 1's going about.

Guest Sanddancer75

Maybe someone who has just picked a Vega up could post their serial number. The old serial thread hasn't had much attention for a while, but unless Advent have been playing around with the format of their serial numbers it might give us a clue as to how many have been sold since the thread started?

Guest waj1234
what sort of price are people who are selling them getting, i've seen some on e-bay varying from £175 to £300 (bit ambitious i think :D ), just curious to see that if people can almost get their money back will there be a rush for the cheap ipad 1's going about.

Not got it on ebay but its not that easy to sell since the ipads have dropped making them less attractive.

Guest nigelpwilson

Think I sold mine at just the right time, got £305 for it mid January on EBay. Just bought a refurb iPad1 with change to spare ... Very happy!

Guest Lennyuk
Think I sold mine at just the right time, got £305 for it mid January on EBay. Just bought a refurb iPad1 with change to spare ... Very happy!

Can you please stop spamming this forum with the fact you sold it and got an ipad, no one cares

Guest nigelpwilson
Can you please stop spamming this forum with the fact you sold it and got an ipad, no one cares

Hardly call 2 posts , one of them on a thread I started , spamming !! you're just jealous that I can type this without getting a headache from the terrible screen and 2 of each letter :D

Guest shadow wave
Hardly call 2 posts , one of them on a thread I started , spamming !! you're just jealous that I can type this without getting a headache from the terrible screen and 2 of each letter :D

Why are you still here?