Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Tech and Football
  • Devices:Vega and HTC Desire
hi All ,
just one question , i have read that usually the CWM Recovery overwrites the original recovery options on other devices , i assume from what i have read here that isnt the case with Vega ?
if i install this and all goes wrong can i still use the standard recovery ( back button , power , back ) to reload the official Vega rom and start again ?

thanks Andy

Ps got my Vega 2 days ago and loving it !!

premieral

premieral

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

hi All ,
just one question , i have read that usually the CWM Recovery overwrites the original recovery options on other devices , i assume from what i have read here that isnt the case with Vega ?
if i install this and all goes wrong can i still use the standard recovery ( back button , power , back ) to reload the official Vega rom and start again ?

thanks Andy

Ps got my Vega 2 days ago and loving it !!

yes i have clockwork mod and have recovered more than once using the stockk vega rom :D

Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

yes i have clockwork mod and have recovered more than once using the stockk vega rom :D

thanks for your very quick reply .
i assume that if i have used CWM to do a backup and then all goes wrong i would need to use default recovery then load standard rom then MCR then CWM then boot to CWM recovery and use the backup i have created to do a full restore ?

thanks Andy

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • Devices:Vega. HTC Desire

thanks for your very quick reply .
i assume that if i have used CWM to do a backup and then all goes wrong i would need to use default recovery then load standard rom then MCR then CWM then boot to CWM recovery and use the backup i have created to do a full restore ?
thanks Andy

There's a little confusion to be had on the Vega. It has 2 recoveries.

The first is the one you start with the holding buttons thing and use to flash ROMs. It is built into the Vega and is not touched with any of the things on this forum. You can flash ROMs, hack around and generally do anything to your Vega and this recovery will always be there.

The second is a partition of the Vega's ROM and client written when you flash a ROM or install something to it like CWM. If you install CWM, then flash the Advent ROM, CWM will be replaced with the default Vega software backup tool. You can see this in action by installing CWM then launching the Advent backup tool (from memory Settings->Software tool). You'll see that it starts CWM.

What's happening is that when you run an app to enter recovery, the Vega rebooted and loads the recovery partition which contains a mini version of the OS plus an app to run which is clockwork or Vega backup etc.

The holy grail of recovery on the Vega is to be able to boot into it directly using the hardware keys because currently you have a catch 22 which stops you using CWM to recover a borked Vega but you can only get to CWM when the Vega is running.

Hope this helps a little...

If I've helped you, you want to say "thanks" and you do not use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. You'll get 2GB of disk space for files available anywhere, any time on any device. They give us both an extra 250MB if you do sign up!

Apple? I'd rather eat my own kidneys!

Dademira

Dademira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - UJB

Like this...

P

Posted Image

I first updated to Google market then installed the rommanager and it flashed clockworkmod 2.5.1.4 but i cannot flash a rom ( I have root zroot did that for me) is it possible to rename > update-cm-7.0.0-RC0-Vega-KANG-signed to update.zip
and choose install update zip from sdcard?

this is a pic:

Attached File  IMG_20110329_122652.jpg   664.13KB   22 downloads It stays here forever i can only hardboot back to os. this is not the dualboot version.

please let me know what i can do

my device is a Viewpad 10s with the tegra2 inside from vieuwsonic ibelieve it is the same as the advent vega and gtablet. correct me if i'm wrong

Edited by Dademira, 29 March 2011 - 11:39 AM.

Life is hackeble!!!

Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

There's a little confusion to be had on the Vega. It has 2 recoveries.

The first is the one you start with the holding buttons thing and use to flash ROMs. It is built into the Vega and is not touched with any of the things on this forum. You can flash ROMs, hack around and generally do anything to your Vega and this recovery will always be there.

The second is a partition of the Vega's ROM and client written when you flash a ROM or install something to it like CWM. If you install CWM, then flash the Advent ROM, CWM will be replaced with the default Vega software backup tool. You can see this in action by installing CWM then launching the Advent backup tool (from memory Settings->Software tool). You'll see that it starts CWM.

What's happening is that when you run an app to enter recovery, the Vega rebooted and loads the recovery partition which contains a mini version of the OS plus an app to run which is clockwork or Vega backup etc.

The holy grail of recovery on the Vega is to be able to boot into it directly using the hardware keys because currently you have a catch 22 which stops you using CWM to recover a borked Vega but you can only get to CWM when the Vega is running.

Hope this helps a little...

Hi Thanks for your help and explanation i think i am understanding things better now i have only had my vega less than a week and im enjoying playing with it , its good fun , going to charge it up and then do a Nandroid from CWM then im going to check out my recovery options

Thanks Andy

Dademira

Dademira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Sorry if i ask e strange question.

I dont have an usb cabel to connect my vieuwpad 10s to my windows pc. So simply i cannot flash a recovery.
But i was thinking to use ADB you need dos prompt right?
So what if i use dos prompt on my viewpad ( i believe there are several apps that can do that) would it be possible to do that.

If not i have to find a cable on the net went to 3 stores and they all didn't have it.

Maybe there is an other solution that i dont know about.

Info
Viewpad 10s ( aka Advent ) is rooted with zRoot installed clockwork mod it says that i have clockwork mod recovery but when i use the boot to recovery app they advised it will only boot to
standart android recovery and i can only move up and down cant make a choice with any button.

And final it says formatting:.... and that is al it does in recovery waited all night on charger and in the morning it was still the same.

thanx for reading this or helping me.

Life is hackeble!!!

warwound

warwound

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, camping, photography and computers.
  • Devices:Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab2

I dont have an usb cabel to connect my vieuwpad 10s to my windows pc. So simply i cannot flash a recovery.
But i was thinking to use ADB you need dos prompt right?

I've never tried this but it might work for you...

ADB Wireless
http://www.androidce...pp-adb-wireless

warwound

Dademira

Dademira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

ADB Wireless

warwound

Thnx for the advise it worked used an app called adb to wifi ...

Life is hackeble!!!

Vansphone

Vansphone

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco

I first updated to Google market then installed the rommanager and it flashed clockworkmod 2.5.1.4 but i cannot flash a rom ( I have root zroot did that for me) is it possible to rename > update-cm-7.0.0-RC0-Vega-KANG-signed to update.zip
and choose install update zip from sdcard?

this is a pic:

Attached File  IMG_20110329_122652.jpg   664.13KB   22 downloads It stays here forever i can only hardboot back to os. this is not the dualboot version.

please let me know what i can do

my device is a Viewpad 10s with the tegra2 inside from vieuwsonic ibelieve it is the same as the advent vega and gtablet. correct me if i'm wrong

Interesting. I tried ROM manager with my Advent Vega and it seemed to work correctly and flash to 2.5.1.4 but on reboot the screen just shows the android and the box, but no menu. Therefore I assumed ROM manager did not work?

Edited by Vansphone, 01 April 2011 - 09:35 AM.

Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
HI All,
Im Stuck , i installed the MCR over the original factory rom , done some customizing general apps etc , thought good idea to do a back up , went to apps selected Pauls recovery app , it said it was rebooting then i get the little green man with a box above and an arrow and nothing else , rebooting into normal mode , downloaded from market rom manager , and installed recovery from there , then selected option to boot to recovery and same thing little green man and box with arrow but nothing else , no writing .
looked thorough lots of posts but cant see any answers .

thanks Andy

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
If you get the little green man, you probably haven't got clockwork installed correctly. Download it from the sticky thread here and follow the instructions.

If I've helped you, you want to say "thanks" and you do not use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. You'll get 2GB of disk space for files available anywhere, any time on any device. They give us both an extra 250MB if you do sign up!

Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

If you get the little green man, you probably haven't got clockwork installed correctly. Download it from the sticky thread here and follow the instructions.

hi my day with me Vega isnt going well , oops , since doing the stuff above i now have no adb if i do adb devices it doesnt list any , i have checked the driver and still have Android Composite ADB interface under Android devices showing up when plugged in with USB debugging selected ??

thanks Andy

well its getting better i think , still no ADB on my laptop very strange but works fine on my partners laptop ,maybe my firewall is blocking it , it worked fine in the week and the driver loads ok , strange , just says no device when i do adb devices

i took your advice and pushed the files as it says in the 1st post here and all is ok , not tried a backup but it boots to it now , thanks for that , any idea why the rom manager doesnt push it correctly ? and why its not installed with the MCR ?

sorry i asked lots of questions but i like to understand how things work , or not work

Thanks Andy

Edited by Fusion1296, 02 April 2011 - 05:13 PM.

wellibob

wellibob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:SGS.Vega.Desire.San Francisco
Im struggling to get clockwork mod on my vega. Ive read through the instructions, but the adb part confuses me, and im on win 7 x64, and cannot install the usb driver, as its not listed, and dont know to sort it. any help appreciated.

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Im struggling to get clockwork mod on my vega. Ive read through the instructions, but the adb part confuses me, and im on win 7 x64, and cannot install the usb driver, as its not listed, and dont know to sort it. any help appreciated.

Search is your friend.

http://android.modac...-driver-guides/

nfuse

nfuse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire Viewpad 10S
a very simple method to get clockworkmod on your vega, mobii or viewpad 10s is to extract an original rom like 1.09 extract it and replace the recovery.img with the clockworkmod version. double click lvds.bat and let nvflash do the work for you.

Good Luck.

nfuse

nfuse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire Viewpad 10S

ADB Wireless

warwound

i took two old charge kabels of my phone cut the small plugs of and tyed them together, just keep the colors the same.

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

i took two old charge kabels of my phone cut the small plugs of and tyed them together, just keep the colors the same.

I'm not sure which one of us had more wine with Sunday lunch?

gizzy98

gizzy98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hey Guys,

Just got my Vega today and rooted it, but when I try to run the adb code i get an error on the:

adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

It says "Segmentation fault /data/local/flas..."

Any ideas whats causing this?

really want to get the recovery on so I can flash a new rom.

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users