24/Jan 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

TerryH

TerryH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
thanks for the confirmation, don't want to test some images if i am not shure that the restore. doesn't work 100% ;)

emergant

emergant

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I can confirm that BSOD is caused by corruption of the misc partition as stated elsewhere. I just fixed a BSOD by formatting only that partition using nvflash. I have no idea what the misc partition is used for but not mounting it would be a good idea I think in Pauls future ROMs if its not needed. Actually could we delete it altogether?

I am running the new kernel and CWM and caused the BSOD by using the USB switcher

rpmccormick

rpmccormick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:Avant
  • Twitter:@rpmccormick

I can confirm that BSOD is caused by corruption of the misc partition as stated elsewhere. I just fixed a BSOD by formatting only that partition using nvflash. I have no idea what the misc partition is used for but not mounting it would be a good idea I think in Pauls future ROMs if its not needed. Actually could we delete it altogether?

I am running the new kernel and CWM and caused the BSOD by using the USB switcher

Can you please post instructions for "formating only the misc partition using nvflash"? If some one could just make a .exe that you run which fixes the BSOD without changing anything else, I'm sure a lot of people would use and appreciate it.

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • Devices:Vega. HTC Desire
Don't ask me why ;)

Several people, me included, have fixed BSODs by installing in this order ROM->CWM->mcr

I used to do ROM->mcr->CWM and got BSODs

If I've helped you, you want to say "thanks" and you do not use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. You'll get 2GB of disk space for files available anywhere, any time on any device. They give us both an extra 250MB if you do sign up!

Apple? I'd rather eat my own kidneys!

emergant

emergant

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Can you please post instructions for "formating only the misc partition using nvflash"? If some one could just make a .exe that you run which fixes the BSOD without changing anything else, I'm sure a lot of people would use and appreciate it.

AT YOUR OWN RISK ETC

Well the 1.065 rom uses this command line

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x000c0075 --create --go

to flash the whole rom

I did this from a linux vm on a mac on which I'd renamed the bct file

nvflash -w --bct flash.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format-partition 5

comparing those lines, from a 1.06 rom directory I'd run:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format-partition 5

You should run this after extracting the vega rom zip and changing to that directory. Partition 5 should be misc or msc as the vega rom calls it. You can get this info from the flash.cfg file. The --bct part may not be needed. Not sure

This is definitely vega rom specific dont use it on anything else which may have a different partition structure. Worked for me

If anyone has the tools to edit the self extracting zip file it should be simple enough to change the batch file to do this automatically

Edited by emergant, 30 January 2011 - 06:52 PM.

newbe5

newbe5

Addict

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
Apologies if this has already been answered, but i am using MCR6 on 1.06.5 and this comes built in, but when i try to use it, the vega reboots then comes up with the recovery icon in the center of the screen with a process bar that quickly dissapears, then the recovery icon image just stays in the center of the screen and nothing else happens, any way around this?

rvdgeer

rvdgeer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Android!
  • Devices:HTC Desire, PoV Mobii 10
  • Twitter:@robvdgeer

Apologies if this has already been answered, but i am using MCR6 on 1.06.5 and this comes built in, but when i try to use it, the vega reboots then comes up with the recovery icon in the center of the screen with a process bar that quickly dissapears, then the recovery icon image just stays in the center of the screen and nothing else happens, any way around this?

Clockworkmod is NOT built in...
Only the apk to boot to it is built in...
You need to flash cwm yourself to be able to use it!

HTC One (m7) on Tele2
ROM: ViperOne 7.0.0 (Sense 6.0)
Android: 4.4.3
Kernel: 6.09.401.5 CL366813 release-keys
Bootloader: 1.57.0000
CID: HTC__E11

HTC One X (endeavoru) on KPN
ROM: ViperX 4.1.1 (Sense 5.0)
Android: 4.2.2
Kernel: 4.18.401.2 CL231174 release-keys
Bootloader: 1.39.0000
CID: HTC__E11

LG-V500 (awifi)
Android: 4.4.2
Build: KOT49I.V50020a
Software: V50020a

Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire, Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@CaptCalamitous

you not keep a nandroid back up?

Didn't see a point until I got CWM properly installed.

thedicemaster

thedicemaster

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy camera, Note 2

comparing those lines, from a 1.06 rom directory I'd run:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format-partition 5

i don't know if the linux version of nvflash is different, but on windows that would be:
nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 5
on windows nvflash doesn't accept --format-partition

emergant

emergant

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

i don't know if the linux version of nvflash is different, but on windows that would be:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 5
on windows nvflash doesn't accept --format-partition

Sorry you're right on both windows and Linux. Its a typo as I cant copy/paste between my linux vm and macos. On linux running nvflash without arguments documents the syntax

67Mustang

67Mustang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega

Sorry you're right on both windows and Linux. Its a typo as I cant copy/paste between my linux vm and macos. On linux running nvflash without arguments documents the syntax

Has anyone had any problems in extracting/ unzipping the first file required for CWM? I've tried this with both WinZip and WinRar, and it comes up with an error message saying 'file is unknown format or damaged' (I'm using a Windows XP machine if that makes any difference).

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Has anyone had any problems in extracting/ unzipping the first file required for CWM? I've tried this with both WinZip and WinRar, and it comes up with an error message saying 'file is unknown format or damaged' (I'm using a Windows XP machine if that makes any difference).

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Download again?

If I've helped you, you want to say "thanks" and you do not use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. You'll get 2GB of disk space for files available anywhere, any time on any device. They give us both an extra 250MB if you do sign up!

67Mustang

67Mustang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega
I've tried downloading and unzipping it 8 or 9 times (the download is fine) with both WinZip and WinRar on two different PCs, but each time I get the same error message (seems a bit futile to just keep on downloading the same file over and over).

I was able to unzip the MCR r6 files with no problems (to get the ADB drivers, which installed without a problem), so it just seems to be the first CWM zip file that is causing the problem (although haven't tried the reboot download yet).

I tired it again this morning at work, but unfortunately the download website is getting blocked, so I'll need to wait until later tonight to try it again, although I'd be amazed if I'm the only person who has experienced this problem.

Worst case scenario, I'll try downloading and installing MCR r7 from my PC without having CWM, which I guess is not too big a deal, but would like to figure out why the CWM files won't unzip if possible.

Dunetails

Dunetails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

I've tried downloading and unzipping it 8 or 9 times (the download is fine) with both WinZip and WinRar on two different PCs, but each time I get the same error message (seems a bit futile to just keep on downloading the same file over and over).

I was able to unzip the MCR r6 files with no problems (to get the ADB drivers, which installed without a problem), so it just seems to be the first CWM zip file that is causing the problem (although haven't tried the reboot download yet).

I tired it again this morning at work, but unfortunately the download website is getting blocked, so I'll need to wait until later tonight to try it again, although I'd be amazed if I'm the only person who has experienced this problem.

Worst case scenario, I'll try downloading and installing MCR r7 from my PC without having CWM, which I guess is not too big a deal, but would like to figure out why the CWM files won't unzip if possible.

It's not just you, I'm also having problems opening the zip. There's something wrong with the download.

I'm using the built in Ubuntu zip handler.

ho66es

ho66es

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, ZTE Blade
  • Twitter:@na
i downloaded it twice today, 1st time was very slow and corrupt when trying to open. Second time was fine. I wonder if the load balancing feeds from more than 1 file server in which case maybe one has a corrupt zip?

rferrett

rferrett

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3, Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@ralphferrett
So out of iinterest does anyone know if the issues Paul reported around rom manager have been resoolved? Or is it still incompatible with the Vega?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 Omega 6.0
Tablet: Nexus 7 MCR Jr5
Twitter: @ralphferrett
Google+: http://gplus.to/rferrett
URL: http://lunchtimelegend.co.uk

Sir Gash

Sir Gash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire / Advent Vega

So out of iinterest does anyone know if the issues Paul reported around rom manager have been resoolved? Or is it still incompatible with the Vega?

What issues? I think there may have been a problem with the Reboot into Recovery option (don't really use this myself), it's not that important really as you can use Paul's app instead. I use Rom Manager regularly to do nandroid backups/restores and it works perfectly.

ANDROID DEVICES:

HTC Desire
ROOTED/S-OFF
ROM: Oxygen v2.0.3
RADIO: 32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14

Advent Vega
ROM: VegaComb (Beta 1a) Honeycomb 3.0 :D

bennji_boy

bennji_boy

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

To install the recovery image and flash utility, extract the first zip file to a directory, then enter the following (this assumes you have 'adb' on your machine):

Stupid question alert, how do I know if I've got ADB on my machine? I don't think I have because when I put the first command in I got a not recognised message.

I did install R6 using ADB drivers or something (I can't really remember it seems that long ago now) and now when I plug the Vega it comes up as android ADB device in device manager.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

Final stupid question, I'm right in saying that if I install CWM it means I can install future ROMs (including R8) without going near my PC?

If so, Amen to that brother!

Edited by bennji_boy, 10 February 2011 - 04:23 PM.

jimh

jimh

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, N1 & Orange SF
There is a very good thread about this here :P
I managed to follow it & get CWM installed so it must be good because I'm very new to all this.

Thread

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Stupid question alert, how do I know if I've got ADB on my machine? I don't think I have because when I put the first command in I got a not recognised message.

I did install R6 using ADB drivers or something (I can't really remember it seems that long ago now) and now when I plug the Vega it comes up as android ADB device in device manager.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

Final stupid question, I'm right in saying that if I install CWM it means I can install future ROMs (including R8) without going near my PC?

If so, Amen to that brother!

When Paul ships his packs, he includes adb.exe but renames it to adb-windows as the pack includes adb for Mac and Linux - so just run adb-windows instead of adb. It will make things much easier if you have adb-windows on the path. If you know how to do this, great. If not, copy adb-windows.exe to c:\windows. You may as well rename it to adb.exe as well. Easier to remember and type!

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users